Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Nitrous bottles during summer...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 03:41 AM
ijk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrous bottles during summer...

I have questions about Nitrous before i purchase the kit to get close to evo....
I live in florida, so i was wondering, would the bottle explode during HOT HOT SUMMERS in florida when left in the trunk?..
how safe is it to store? and how much does refills cost?
wat would be a good price for a kit...?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Re: Nitrous bottles during summer...

It will not explode in summer heat.....very safe to store as long as the bottle is closed....about $30 max per refill.....won't find a decent kit under $450 plus install

For only $1 you can help the Central FL G35 group become something big. For less than the Sunday paper YOU can bring hope to your fellow members.
Send your $1 to PayPal address:
yakko1zzz@aol.com

Old 10-20-2004, 07:33 PM
ijk

you sure it wont explode...cuz i've seen on TV when they leave like hairspray can in the trunk...its blew up~

Old 10-20-2004, 07:36 PM

Trust me, it is quite a bit hotter here in Vegas. Flordia heat? Please. I haven't had any exploding nitrous bottles due to the summer heat, and I'm 99.99999% sure I never will.

Old 10-21-2004, 05:10 AM
ijk

dang...
its says your car is using 125 shot nitrous..
does it harm your engine? how do you like the Zex kit? and how much did the whole Nitrous set up cost for you?and lastly, what kind of times are you getting?...cuz i am planning to get nitrous due to my friend getting an Evo... =(

Old 11-01-2004, 03:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would think they would use a burst disk to allow the nitrogen to escape should pressure become too great. Paintball tanks have these. I would think Nitrous oxide systems would be similar as we are dealing with a non-volotile gas.

Old 11-22-2004, 01:56 AM

If you do some digging, there are a bunch of threads on here regarding the safe use of nitrous. No it will not harm your engine if installed properly. I have not run my car yet, because it needs a few things still such as different spark plugs and a dyno.

I did like the Zex Kit with the 75 shot. Best bang for the buck. I have about $1000 invested into the current setup.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:53 AM
I saw pictures, I believe on FA, of a Maxima that left the bottle heater on with a car parked in a garage. It did explode, and took a big chunk of the house with it. The rear end of the car was almost unrecognizable. Now clearly, this guy had made a critical error in installing the NOS kit; having the bottle heater wired directly to the battery, and very possible an overcharged bottle. But, as I recall, there was another problem, which was an inherent flaw in the design of the electric valve system; the pressure relief was downstream of the shut off valve. So if the valve was shut, you had no pressure relief. I believe there was a big lawsuit in the works....I don't know how this worked out. So if a bottle heater can make a NOS bottle explode, can the sun???

I'd bet the sun in Florida, or the Nevada dessert could get a bottle hot enough. BUT, you'd probably have to start with a full, (or even possible a somewhat overpressured) bottle to even begin to see a problem. And then, the built in pressure relief in the valve would do its job, and save the day. So properly installed, I think this is a negligible possibility. I'm sure there's enough reserve pressure capacity in these tanks that you would rarely ever see an emergency pressure release. But if your car ever catches fire, be sure to warn the firemen who show up!