Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

nitrous on an 03 g35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nitrous on an 03 g35

how many people have it? I have a 2 stage kit for my camaro z28, but it's too much of a setup for a g35 smallest nozzles I have for even one stage of it 150 shot. I am thinking about building a kit for my g35 using mostly stuff I have and getting some custom nozzles, a bigger fuel pump, and some new colder spark plugs.

How big of a shot are some of you running? I read that 420 rwhp was fairly safe on an FI g35. I was thinking that a 100 shot would be safe because of that. maybe a 125 shot.

parts I already have:
oversized fuel solenoid from harris speed works
oversized nitrous solenoid from harris speed works
harris speed works microedge
blow down
generic purge kit
40ft of braided nitrous hoses ( was cheaper bought this way. and I was planning on doing more than just 1 bottle in the camaro...)
seperate fuel system designed for f-body with fuel cell and seperate fuel pump ( might modify to work, but probably not)
bottle warmer for up to 12lb bottle.
wideband o2 sensor for lean condition cutoff

big question I have is how to get the tps sensor to work with the drive by wire on these cars.

any other info from someone who already did this though would be appreciated.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:56 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I don't know any people running N2O on a G35 but I would say a 150 shot should be fine, a stock G puts around 220whp. CAI, intake spacer and exhaust put me at around 230whp. I would even hit it with a 200 shot.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
I don't know any people running N2O on a G35 but I would say a 150 shot should be fine, a stock G puts around 220whp. CAI, intake spacer and exhaust put me at around 230whp. I would even hit it with a 200 shot.
I think you are forgetting that torque is actually what the power limit would be in. nitrous increases torque more than horsepower and does it independent of rpm. 200shot to be safe with the bottom end I know would be able to be sprayed between 4500rpm and redline.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more people into nitrous on the g35 though. there are plenty of nitrous'd 350z's out there pulling cobra's on 100 shots. I am going to be opening a similar thread on my350z looking for someone with experience on the vq35de with nitrous. My experience personally is limited to a trd camry(50 shot), a friend's celica (custom 80 shot on home made kit), tiburon with 100 shot(blew up spraying off the line at the drag strip spraying from 2300rpm, left him with only a block he could use), and my camaro which was sprayed with a 125 shot and never had a problem related to nitrous, but blew a head gasket because of bad gas. ( paid for premium and the octane was no where near 93. only got 10 miles down the road before it started pinging and then by the time I got off the road the head gasket was leaking water). I just don't have experience with a vq35de on nitrous. I am wanting to do it though. I already have the majority of what I need for it. Just need to figure out a few things first.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
colder plugs and make it a "wet" kit. You'll still blow the motor. It's just too tempting to use it.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
More helpful info can be found on my350z concerning nitrous. I have a 100 shot using the zex kit.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
colder plugs and make it a "wet" kit. You'll still blow the motor. It's just too tempting to use it.
what I have is all for a wet setup. really looks like I just need a bottle and mounting brackets with some jets for it and I could be good to go, but I know I'd need a tune, timing changed, and colder plugs.

I know it will decrease the life of the motor just like running a supercharger or turbo would. for me though, I like the feel of the instant power from nitrous.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:33 AM
I know what you mean. It's addicting. But this VQ35 is not a cast iron block 350 with a 9.5:1 compression ratio. These things are tuned within an inch of there lives as it is, they have a 10.5:1 comp ratio and I think the new ones are over 11. I wanted to do the same with mine, but using it as a daily driver, common sense won out over the head rush.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by wtfjim
I think you are forgetting that torque is actually what the power limit would be in. nitrous increases torque more than horsepower and does it independent of rpm. 200shot to be safe with the bottom end I know would be able to be sprayed between 4500rpm and redline.

no I didnt forget anything, I would run a 200 shot just like I said but I guess I actually know what a VQ35 can handle. Most people just listen to what other people on the internet say weather they have a form of FI or not, blind leading the blind

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 06-05-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I know what you mean. It's addicting. But this VQ35 is not a cast iron block 350 with a 9.5:1 compression ratio. These things are tuned within an inch of there lives as it is, they have a 10.5:1 comp ratio and I think the new ones are over 11. I wanted to do the same with mine, but using it as a daily driver, common sense won out over the head rush.
isnt high compression better for your nitrous as well as all motor setups?!?

BTW is this car a 6 spd or the 5AT??

ive been thinking about spraying a 100 shot for quite a while now. im at 60k miles and i think if you get it tuned on spray for at least one setup ( assuming you get osiris and choice of a few different maps) and i assume you would be fine to spray. i mean just be sensible and spray when you are running someone or at the track. don't just spray on the way to dinner to impress your girl

Last edited by DailyDrivenCoupe; 06-12-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by usdmg35
isnt high compression better for your nitrous as well as all motor setups?!?

BTW is this car a 6 spd or the 5AT??

ive been thinking about spraying a 100 shot for quite a while now. im at 60k miles and i think if you get it tuned on spray for at least one setup ( assuming you get osiris and choice of a few different maps) and i assume you would be fine to spray. i mean just be sensible and spray when you are running someone or at the track. don't just spray on the way to dinner to impress your girl
I don't know about NOS, but you want 8.5 to 1 or 9 to 1 for Turbo or Super charging. It's fairly easy to blow the heads off the gaskets at the stock copression ratio. The most manifold pressure you can run safely stock is about 5psi.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
5psi, LOL. GTFO!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by str8dum1
5psi, LOL. GTFO!

do your research dude. every and I mean every car that is stock and went over 5 psi is now toast. I have been on here of five years and I have read it all. NO ONE has survived above that with a stock motor.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
what does psi have to do with nitrous? jw and im almost positive high compression is better for this setup. would love somebody to confirm whether it is high or low compression that is better

you're stock psi on most turbo kits as well as wastegaste springs are usually around 7-10 psi. so how the f&*K would waste all that money to ride around on only 5 pounds. maybe its about how you tune the car and how long you actually expect it to last... stock rods aren't good past 450 so when talking reliably i wouldn't push a car with 350 and stock rods and not expect a bad outcome. now if i had rods able to hold 600 and pistons just cause we were doing rods then i would feel pretty comfortable. . but once again this is about nitrous and not turbo so totally different subject but non the less simple pistons and rods, upgraded head gasket and possibly block gaurd, plus a tune and i would spray the hell outta my vq, and actually plan to here soon

Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 AM
If you want a toy and have the $$$$$$$, by all means, go for it. If you have a DD that you DEPEND on, I wouldn't get close to it.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmg35
what does psi have to do with nitrous? jw and im almost positive high compression is better for this setup. would love somebody to confirm whether it is high or low compression that is better
its all about cylinder pressure at the point of combustion...
turbos and superchargers ram in air and mixed with fuel at the right amount
and with the spark timed correctly... create more cylinder pressure therefore
more torque.

NOS does it a little differently but the outcome is the same... cylinder pressure.

X amount of torque is the result of cylinder pressure
I think what the guys are trying to say is... the stock setup (heads) wont
stand a lot of cylinder pressure, not boost pressure.

perhaps switching to a better gasket and or "O" ringed cylinders and studs
instead of head bolts (not familiar with the stock setup as it may already
be studs) would help with the head problems

keep in mind that 5 psig of properly inter cooled, fueled, and sparked boost
with a compressor that is sitting in a high efficiency zone will output more
power than the average 7 to 10 psig of hot air and crappy tune... I've seen
this way too often.

The following users liked this post:
brarp (07-20-2011)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: nitrous on an 03 g35