Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech in February - some rookie questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Vortech in February - some rookie questions...

OK, I am failry mechanical, but this is my first foray into FI. I have done some reasding here and on MY350 as well as general sources on-line.

Blower system: Used Vortech V2 with 3.12 pulley, Vortech FMU, RC 550 injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump.

Car: 04 sedan 6MT with 100,000 miles (just rolled over last week). New plugs and coils.

Intake mods: for now 3/8 Skunk2 spacer, maybe upgrading to Kinetix SS manifold.

Exhaust mods: free-flow cats, HR Y pipe, coupe mid, Magnaflow muffler (may go back to stock muffler)

Other details: Original clutch, original HG. Will be replacing leaky valve covers when installing new injectors. I will be tapping the upper oil pan for the oil return line. Adding oil pressure and boost gauges (mechanical). Car is a daily driver but I have a work vehicle so it sometimes sits for a while. I average about 2000-3000 miles a year if that. I live at sea level, and the most altitude this car may ever see is maybe 1200' ASL.

I'm keeping the tune very conservative. Like probably 7psi or less. I have no intention of taking it higher unless I one day want to upgrade the internals. Will be running 94 gas, or when necessary 89 with additive.

I will be tapping the upper oil pan for the oil return line.

Questions:

with a good pro tune and the 255/550 combo, can I run the system on a modified ECU *without* the Vortech FMU? Is any other fuel managment required?

Will I be causing problems using 550cc injectors? Should I use smaller ones?

I know this has been addressed a few times but therte seem to be all kinds of opinions on what can and cannot be done without putting the engine at risk.

So.... what say you?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
depending on how free flowing your system is that 3.12 pulley might be closer to 8 or 9 psi at high rpm.... my intake and exhaust is OEM (for now) and thats where I am at 6500 rpm

Old 01-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by ge35es
depending on how free flowing your system is that 3.12 pulley might be closer to 8 or 9 psi at high rpm.... my intake and exhaust is OEM (for now) and thats where I am at 6500 rpm
hmmm I am leaning toward going back to the OEM muffler because the magnaflow is a little loud for me. With the OEM that should be a little restrictive.

Oh and I am adding the Kinetix manifold. Bought a used one.

So would going up a pulley size be advisable?

And what about the FMU? Necessary?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3.12 will get you closer to 8-9 psi at stock redline like ge35es said. You can use uprev or ECUtek to flash in tunes for the voltages the maf will see. I feel like you might get close to maxing out the stock MAF. 550cc should work but they will be kind of high in their duty cycles.

For reference, I am on a 3.12 and get around 13-14 psi at 7k rpm.
660cc / 300lph
75mm TB / 5-8" Skunk2 plenum spacer / CAI tube
HR megan shorty headers / kinetix HFC / Invidie gemini dual 2.5" catback

Old 04-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Hey I guess I should update this thread. Went with a 3.25 pulley and - although I was hesitant to go this route - an ECUMaster3 piggyback.

So far, so good. a couple of signal issues at the beginning (a false reading from the crank sensor was causing all kinds of craziness). A quick tweak - and adding a wideband sensor -and it's been good ever since.

I will probably upgrade to a Haltech unit at some point, although with the moderate amount of power I'm producing seems to be managed pretty well so far.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear! Did you upgrade the clutch or go with a different manifold?

I retuned mine with a 1 piece charge pipe plus uprev GT maf and boost pressures dropped to 10-11psi (from better efficiency) while power increased to almost 420whp.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.