Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Using a turbo from another vehicle.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using a turbo from another vehicle.

Hi I was wondering what problems could happen if I used a turbo built for another car? I would make sure the specifications for the intercooler and fuel pump and other things match up with the numbers with a kit built for my car, for example, a greddy kit.

I want a reliable fi engine so I will be replacing some of the internals, a new clutch and fly wheel, buying stronger belts and using an OEM fuel pump designed to push out more fuel. I was thinking about adding a new radiator one that will be good for hundreds of hp more than I will get to. What else should I do to increase reliability? Is there a way to pump more cold oil through the engine? Would some make shift oil cooling system be a good idea?

I own a 2006 G35 with the rev up engine and 220, 000km on it but it has never had issues and it still drives like a dream.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
adding a separate oil cooler would help
Also adding a separate trans cooler would take some load off the rad (if auto) but also keep transmission temps stable as you will now have more power running through the drivetrain

Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest issue that you can run into with getting a turbo specifically made for another vehicle, rather than a standalone turbo is the mounting flanges. OEM replacement, or OEM turbos from other vehicles might be able to achieve the desired flow rates that you're looking for, however depending on what vehicle it is for, you can end up with a less than desire able manifold flange that will create more headaches in the long run sourcing a custom manifold to accept the mount.

Other than that, you should be fine so long as your car has the required supported mods to feed the turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.