Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Question on Turbo Gauges Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Turbo Gauges Help!

Hey guys, I am planning on buying three gauges for my turbo setup but am unsure on which type to buy.
Here are my combos, please any feedback on goods and bads...thank you

Defi's D gauges 52mm:
Boost
EGT
A/F (should i get wideband, as of right now I've only seen AEM wideband, if not do i need anything else if I just buy the defi D air to fuel. What is the difference between wideband and not wideband?)

or

Defi's D 52mm:
Boost
EGT
Feul pressure

I would like to get the BF series from Defi but my budget prevents me.
Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:55 PM
TT gauges

If you add only three guages I would use :

Vac/Boost = the "A" part
Fuel PSI = the "F" part
A/F (wideband). = the correlation between A and the F.

I have all 6 DEFI-Ds in black. I turned the DEFI NB gauge into a basic WB gauge by driving it with an LM-1 analog output. Buth the main LM-1 unit is bulkey and takes up most of my glovebox. But I also use it to datalog.

If you do not care to keep the gauges looking 100% homogenous as I did, I would recommend the two D-s for Vac/Boost and Fuel PSI and the "Innovative stand-alone" A/F WB gauge.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...me.php?cat=252

Old 04-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by g3po
If you add only three guages I would use :

If you do not care to keep the gauges looking 100% homogenous as I did, I would recommend the two D-s for Vac/Boost and Fuel PSI and the "Innovative stand-alone" A/F WB gauge.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...me.php?cat=252

g3po,

you took the words out of my mouth. This is what I have now except I have the AEM wideband. I did not know about the Innovative stand alone when I got the AEM or I would have problably gone with that one also.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wondering what the point is in the EGT gauge anyway? I'm going with zeitronix myself, I'll probably add oil and fuel pressure gauges as well.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Egt

Originally Posted by tony
Just wondering what the point is in the EGT gauge anyway? I'm going with zeitronix myself, I'll probably add oil and fuel pressure gauges as well.
WB A/F give you and immediate ref point. EGT gives you a relative longer term picture of A/F ratio. EGT should peak out <1800F at all times . If it creeps up on you over long hard accellerations it implies that you may need to riched the A/F ratio a bit.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:26 PM
3 gauges to get for a turbo car:

1. Boost
2. Wideband A/F or EGT**
3. Oil pressure

Those are the 3 most important gauges I would get in their level of importance. After those 3 if you wanted more (though those are the 3 most important) then I would get oil temp and water temp.

** Wideband A/F would be the better choice in this position, but ONLY if its wideband. Those regular A/F gauges were you tap the stock O2 don't tell you anything. If a wideband is not an option then an EGT gauge will be a very close substitute.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
When you decide to go Turbo, then I usually decide on more gauges the better. I have 6 in my car at the moment, Boost, egt, A/F,Fuel pressure, oil pressure and water temp.
I noticed that the AF is to keep the car running at the best possible stoich but if the egt's do start to go up then I add more fuel. Again the oil pressure is a valuable gauge as it can tell if you have spun a bearing (god forbid) or if you have other issues which could be detrimental to the internals. Boost, fuel and water gauges I use just to make sure they are all were they are supposed to be at.

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2005, 03:16 PM
I am planning on mounting the three important gauges on the a pillar, has anybody else found any other place that is a good moutning spot? My cubby is off limit becaue of the navi. From reading people's comment, there seems to be serveral important gauges that i would need.

thank you, those who gave me your comment.