Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

One man's opinion of Power for Cheap on the VQ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005 | 12:51 PM
|
One man's opinion of Power for Cheap on the VQ

This last week at CP Racing I was talking to Eric the tuner/manager/self proclaimed parts b!tch and I asked him the following question...

"If I was on a budget and wanted a safe and reliable system with the most power for the least amount of money, and I wanted to keep my car running safely on the stock internals, which system would you choose?"

Keep in mind CP Racing has installed atleast one APS TT (which they said was way over designed), many Greddy TT's, many ATI Prochargers and many many many Vortech S/C's along with atleast one TN ST...

His answer was the TN ST 'tuner kit' controlled with the Emanage Ulitmate. This really surprised me. He also said that he wasn't sure if TN offered a tuner kit but if they did that would be his first choice for FI. I found this to be interesting and thought I'd share this one man's opinion with the rest of you.

Old 08-29-2005 | 12:55 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by neffster
This last week at CP Racing I was talking to Eric the tuner/manager/self proclaimed parts b!tch and I asked him the following question...

"If I was on a budget and wanted a safe and reliable system with the most power for the least amount of money, and I wanted to keep my car running safely on the stock internals, which system would you choose?"

Keep in mind CP Racing has installed atleast one APS TT (which they said was way over designed), many Greddy TT's, many ATI Prochargers and many many many Vortech S/C's along with atleast one TN ST...

His answer was the TN ST 'tuner kit' controlled with the Emanage Ulitmate. This really surprised me. He also said that he wasn't sure if TN offered a tuner kit but if they did that would be his first choice for FI. I found this to be interesting and thought I'd share this one man's opinion with the rest of you.
Neff, thanks for ther info...BTW, what was your car tuned on? DynoJet, DynaPack, etc?

Old 08-29-2005 | 01:00 PM
Would have said the same thing, " best bang for the buck ", Tnetics ST kit ( $4200 kit + $750 install ), but would opt to change ecu flash with either EU or SS box.

Old 08-29-2005 | 01:23 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
SS box has its fault in the tuning every 500 rpms. The Emanage does not have this limitation.

Randy..we both dyno'ed on the Dyno Dynamics machine....but calculated to DynoJet numbers (a 13% factor)

Old 08-29-2005 | 01:41 PM
Never enough
They are going to offer a tunner kit. I talked with the owner a few days ago. He also said the G35 kit is going to be about 400.00 more because of the fans.

Old 08-29-2005 | 02:06 PM
When he said overdesigned about the APS TT did he mean it was a bad thing?

Old 08-29-2005 | 02:25 PM
"His answer was the TN ST 'tuner kit' controlled with the Emanage"

Did he say why?

Old 08-29-2005 | 02:27 PM
|
Repsol, yes and no. He said it was built to be too good. Install was a PITA and they did things that they didn't need to do. He made a joke (because he knew I was a design engineer)... he said, "it was way over designed and you pay for it."

He also said for total ***** out performance he would go Greddy TT, forged internals, cams, ported/polished heads, new radiator, E-manage Ultimate (and a bunch of other small stuff)... Basically what Sharif and many others like him have done.

Right Gman and DJNiknala...

G35pm, He basically said that the turbo was bullet proof, it sat high in the engine bay and looked really nice, was super easy to work on and install and it sounded really good. He also said the EU was super easy to work with once you know the S/W (he and Sharif of Forged Internals are room mates and work rather well together). There are so many parameters you can control that you really can perfectly tune the car if you know what you're doing. Both Eric and Sharif really know their stuff and anything they say I'd take as gospil.

Having said that I still installed my Vortech S/C and hope to have many trouble free miles with it. PSSSTTT (and boy do I love that BOV sound).

Last edited by neffster; 08-29-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2005 | 03:06 PM
Ohio G Club Member
Originally Posted by neffster
Repsol, yes and no. He said it was built to be too good. Install was a PITA and they did things that they didn't need to do. He made a joke (because he knew I was a design engineer)... he said, "it was way over designed and you pay for it."

He also said for total ***** out performance he would go Greddy TT, forged internals, cams, ported/polished heads, new radiator, E-manage Ultimate (and a bunch of other small stuff)... Basically what Sharif and many others like him have done.

Right Gman and DJNiknala...

G35pm, He basically said that the turbo was bullet proof, it sat high in the engine bay and looked really nice, was super easy to work on and install and it sounded really good. He also said the EU was super easy to work with once you know the S/W (he and Sharif of Forged Internals are room mates and work rather well together). There are so many parameters you can control that you really can perfectly tune the car if you know what you're doing. Both Eric and Sharif really know their stuff and anything they say I'd take as gospil.

Having said that I still installed my Vortech S/C and hope to have many trouble free miles with it. PSSSTTT (and boy do I love that BOV sound).
Wow, I didn't know your install was done. So how do you like it?? Give us a review.

Old 08-29-2005 | 03:08 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by g8tor20
SS box has its fault in the tuning every 500 rpms. The Emanage does not have this limitation.

Randy..we both dyno'ed on the Dyno Dynamics machine....but calculated to DynoJet numbers (a 13% factor)
Can you scan and post your results?

Old 08-29-2005 | 04:16 PM
As soon as I get home...I'll do it.

Hey Randy...can you interpet this (I posted this in Ian's thread):

I began to mash the petal and I was at a:

- boost of -2 and a/f of 14.40 and lambda of .98.

- At the moment I hit 100% throttle, I read a boost of 3.8 and a/f of 13.8 and lambda of .94

- At peak boost on the first gear hits 7.0 and a/f of 12.0 and lambda of .82

- Next gear begins at boost of 2.70, a/f of 12.4 and lambda of .84

- Top boost of the next gear is at 7.6 with a/f of 12.10 and lambda of .82

Reviewing the entire run of both gears...I see that my a/f hovers around 12.4 at the beginning of the second gear and goes to about 11.9 at the top RPM. This seems leaner than my CP Race dyno sheet. Can anyone intepret this with the limited info provided.

I was told to stay between 11 and 12. It seems like my entire run up in the second gear was above 12 and even once touched 12.6 (boost was at 3.90 at that particular time)

Old 08-29-2005 | 04:23 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by g8tor20
As soon as I get home...I'll do it.

Hey Randy...can you interpet this (I posted this in Ian's thread):

I began to mash the petal and I was at a:

- boost of -2 and a/f of 14.40 and lambda of .98.

- At the moment I hit 100% throttle, I read a boost of 3.8 and a/f of 13.8 and lambda of .94

- At peak boost on the first gear hits 7.0 and a/f of 12.0 and lambda of .82

- Next gear begins at boost of 2.70, a/f of 12.4 and lambda of .84

- Top boost of the next gear is at 7.6 with a/f of 12.10 and lambda of .82

Reviewing the entire run of both gears...I see that my a/f hovers around 12.4 at the beginning of the second gear and goes to about 11.9 at the top RPM. This seems leaner than my CP Race dyno sheet. Can anyone intepret this with the limited info provided.

I was told to stay between 11 and 12. It seems like my entire run up in the second gear was above 12 and even once touched 12.6 (boost was at 3.90 at that particular time)
you want under 12:1 at around 3800-4300RPM because that's when your peak torque comes in. Any A/F under 14:1 is fine before 3500RPM because boost begin to really build at this point. You want to be in the 11's at peak boost. So, to sum it up, an ideal A/F curve would be 11.5:1 from 3500 to redline. That yield you the most power while maintaining safety.

Old 08-29-2005 | 04:30 PM
Thanks Neff. I've seen and heard MIAPLAYA's (my350z.com) Z t'netics ST and it idles really quiet. Then when he gets on it, it hauls. Man, one more kit to consider. If only I didn't live in Cali...

Let us know about the Vortech.

Old 08-29-2005 | 04:36 PM
Hmmm. I have a feeling I am running waaaay to lean. Randy...you know anyone who is good at reading these Zeitronix readings? The problem is it looks like my RPM readings are messed up so its hard for me to figure out what I got at what rpm.

Old 08-29-2005 | 05:08 PM
Neff...

Remember.....that is exactly what I told you my research conclusion was also.

My problem was ...I wanted it NOW....and they did not have a firm release or ship date for the G kit.

Now...I kinda wish I had waited........Oh well.....Anyone want a slightly used Vortech???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One man's opinion of Power for Cheap on the VQ