Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Converting from Supercharger to TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Converting from Supercharger to TT

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Going to a Jim Wolf prototype with Garrett ball bearing 530 twin turbos (modified), and a long array of other changes. Built motor with CP pistons at 8.5 to 1 CR and Pauter rods, Jim Wolf S2 cams, and a target of 500+rwhp and 500+ lbft of torque. There are now two chapters on the build, and in awhile a third will start up. Very big tires and wheels, some unique features (amsoil pre-oiler and bypass filter, Motordyne iso thermal spacer,and a fluidamper harmonic balancer for the crankshaft, to name three). Ultimately hope to get some review of the torn down old motor to check on the wear during the use of the Procharger, and also to check on the internals of the supercharger, in particular the impeller blades and the bearings, over 23,000 miles of use.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck your project! You're going to love the improved powerband and lower rpm torque of the turbos. I'm very satisfied with 440+ whp, can't imagine 500whp+.

Can't wait to hear your future reviews.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Brian. Yes, indeed I am looking forward to the increased power, and in particular the linearity of torque and low to no lag associated with the smaller 530 BB Garrett turbos that JWT has modified. I assume that you have been pleased with your APS to no end!! When do you feel the turbos spooling up and then coming on full in the rpm band? What are your lag impressions? Have you taken yours to the track? What kind of build have you done with your motor to handle the power?

My plan is to probably start with a lower boost, maybe around 10.5 or 11.0 range. Get used to that, and then depending on how I feel it is handling on the track, dial it up a couple of pounds. It may be at 500rwhp, it may be a touch above or below. The key is getting the optimum for the desired use, and not for any particular dyno result, and that usually requires some dialing around a few times to get the feel that one prefers. What I am truly after is the optimum rw torque between say 60mph and 130/140mph, the acceleration zone that you really live in on a track event. Then, getting that power to the ground as effectively as possible under those conditions.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Ohio G Club Member
I'm very pleased with my APS TTs except for the lack of traction. My own fault though , I'm sure smaller and wider rims would do the trick. I feel the TTs spooling around 2.5K rpms and really kicking in aroung 4k. It's a very linear power band with not much lag at all. Basically it almost feels like stock but with an incredible kick!

I haven't done anything to the motor but my tuner (GRD in Chicago) assures me I'm fine at 9-10lbs psi with the Unichip. I have about 4k hard miles on her so far and no problems whatsoever. No track time yet, but I will be checking into it this spring.

It really performs like what an oem TT version would feel llke. No complaints at all, just wish I had your climate year around. It's very hard to leave it in the garage through the winter months in the midwest.

Again, good luck with everything!

Old 01-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Banned
Cool.......Your car will be great. VRT did an awesome job on my car, as they will with yours. My car is perfect for track and street with about 500whp and 500tq. I hear your car is going to be crazy nice

D.B.