The FX-Spot For General discussion of the FX35/FX45

Opinions on the FX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on the FX

I'm also interested in leasing an FX, but am unsure of what the overall satisfaction is with the vehicle... I am interested in a crossover/SUV with car-like handling and acceleration, but I would also like to have a car comfortable enough for a long road trip. I have also heard about some poor interior build quality in the FX. The cargo space is also a concern for me. I would appreciate any feedback about the FX...

Old 06-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Whoops... sorry, I didn't realize I made a double... I'll copy this over to the original...

Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The FX is a pretty comfortable vehicle. I drive 50+ miles one way to work and have never dreaded getting into the FX.

Interior quality has never hinted at poor to me. Some leathers have had a history of bubbling on the seat cushion, the carpet is a better quality than the 03-07 Gs, it's a little thing but it's something some G guys noticed.

How much cargo space do you need? The orientation of the hatch can be a little limiting for cargo. But for 2 people you can load this thing down. I carry 4 wheels in the cab often, as well as boxes galore. Going to the track I have always been my own pit car, drag wheels, jack, tools. Going to the outdoor events I bring out my canopy and 3+ chairs as well as cleaning supplies and stuff.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 AM
i have an 03 and i couldn't be happier with the vehicle. about as car like in handling and acceleration as you'll get for the money. my build quality has been fine. i can't speak to the leather or options b/c i have a cloth base model (by design), but i've had very few problems with the vehicle over time. Much better than the MB ML320 I had for the past 4 years...

as far as cargo space, you just have to learn how to maximize your loading technique. space is decent enough when you fold down the rear seats, i load 2 bikes in there every weekend, and i've loaded 3 in the past... good luck, you're fishing for fdbk on an FX subforum, so it may be biased, but what a fun to drive crossover! i paid $31,499 NEW out the door...

Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Incognitog35
I'm also interested in leasing an FX, but am unsure of what the overall satisfaction is with the vehicle... I am interested in a crossover/SUV with car-like handling and acceleration, but I would also like to have a car comfortable enough for a long road trip. I have also heard about some poor interior build quality in the FX. The cargo space is also a concern for me. I would appreciate any feedback about the FX...
If you're looking for a soft and quiet ride then the FX is most definitely NOT for you. Even the non-Sport models on their smaller 18s are noisy cars compared to say an RX350...but then again, the FX was never intended to be a pansymobile and I'll take the minor tradeoff in ride quality in exchange for more communicable steering and a sportier suspension any day of the week.

In terms of being easy to live with on long road trips, provided you aren't cruising down broken pavement, you'll be just fine. What you will yearn for believe it or not is some twists and turns. The FX is one of the few 4000-4500 lbs. vehicles that begs to be driven and not pampered. At the same time it's just as easy to throw it in D and listen to the music coming from the tailpipes be it a VQ or VK under the hood.

As for interior quality, sorry to say it but the interior quality of the 03-05 models are complete and utter crap. The 06-08 models wont win any interior design awards but the quality of the materials used is MUCH better than those used in the overly plasticky 03-05s. Oh and the Atari orange screen in the 03-05s are just plain sorry looking compared to the full color units in the 06-08 models.

Cargo space is either limited or spacious depending on how you view the FX. If you're looking at the FX as a softroader mommymobile type crossover then it may seem a bit tight on space. But if you look at it the way Infiniti intended for you to look at it, then you'll find the cargo area more than adequate. And in case you're wondering, the FX according to Infiniti is supposed to be as close as you'll ever get to a 350Z Sport Wagon. Suffice to say, Infiniti definitely hit the mark with the FX.

The best advice I can give you is to drive both a Sport and a non-Sport and see which one you prefer. However if you have the least bit of driving enthusiast blood in your body you'll go straight for the Sport with it's much more aggressive stance and looks. In the end it goes like this. I love my '07 G35 Sedan 6MT to death, but I sure as hell don't mind dropping my car off at my Mama's house to borrow her FX. The FX is one baller *** ride. Chee-hoo.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=bruddahmanmatt]However if you have the least bit of driving enthusiast blood in your body you'll go straight for the Sport with it's much more aggressive stance and looks. QUOTE]

Agreed. And if you're really serious about performance, find yourself a cloth base model without any of that heavy unnecessary rubbish (sunroof, roof rails, AWD, bose, etc). Add smoked tails & gunmetal 20"s from a newer sport model, eibach drop w/spacers, air plenum, CAI, hi flo cats, headers, exhaust, etc (blow it if you can swing it). You'll be hard pressed to a more fun, purpose oriented, knock your socks off crossover on the road...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 PM
RPL
I love our '03 FX. I'm leaving the country for a year and when I get back, I'd love to have a newer FX in white. I think they're ballin cars. I have nothing bad to say about the interior as well - I believe it's much better than my G35.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
We have an 05 and I agree on all accounts with rookie and everyone. Love it..

Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt

As for interior quality, sorry to say it but the interior quality of the 03-05 models are complete and utter crap. The 06-08 models wont win any interior design awards but the quality of the materials used is MUCH better than those used in the overly plasticky 03-05s.
Infiniti only changed the design of the interior's center console and changed the location of the seat controls. The materials, with few exceptions, are the same.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by GJBenn85
Infiniti only changed the design of the interior's center console and changed the location of the seat controls. The materials, with few exceptions, are the same.
It's enough of a change that it's noticeable. VERY noticeable. The A/T shifter in the 03-05 FX is cheap and clunky just like the shifters in the 03-04 G Sedans. The shifter in the 06-08 models along with the leather shift boot are much more aesthetically pleasing than that whack looking thing in the earlier units. The shifter gate and the gate surround is also of much better quality. The console like you said is made of much better feeling etched aluminum. The entire layout of the center stack was revised and now includes the Infiniti Controller dial as opposed to that retarded little joystick. The gauges were also revised from the somewhat cheaply lit units to the electroluminescent ones in the 06-08s. And again as you pointed out, the seat controls were moved from the thigh area to the side of the seat. It may not seem significant to you but this little revision did two things. First, it kept drivers from having their legs rub against the controls once the leather began to wear done. Second, it moved the memory seating buttons from the side of the seat where you can't see which button is which to the side of the door where you can more easily access them. And then there's the full color screen which replaces the cheap monochromatic unit.

These may all seem like "minor" changes to you, but they're enough to make the 06-08 FX interiors "that much better" than the earlier models.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
These may all seem like "minor" changes to you, but they're enough to make the 06-08 FX interiors "that much better" than the earlier models.
Then Infiniti accomplished their mission of making the vehicle seem better quality even though the same materials are used. I actually prefer the '03-'05 center stack; it is too elongated looking on the '06+.

No doubt the FX's interior can use improvements but it still isn't poor quality, even the '03-'05. Any little flaws can be overlooked just by driving the car; how many other SUVs handle as nicely as the FX? Not even a handful.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by GJBenn85
Then Infiniti accomplished their mission of making the vehicle seem better quality even though the same materials are used. I actually prefer the '03-'05 center stack; it is too elongated looking on the '06+.

No doubt the FX's interior can use improvements but it still isn't poor quality, even the '03-'05. Any little flaws can be overlooked just by driving the car; how many other SUVs handle as nicely as the FX? Not even a handful.
Umm no. Does the shifter in the earlier models look anything like the shifter in the later ones? Does the crappy little platic joystick look anything like the Infiniti Controller? Is the aluminum trim the same on the earlier models compared with the updated ones? Does the monochromatic screen look anything like the full color unit? No, no, no and no. So no the quality of the materials used is NOT the same.

Great driving and handling characteristics CAN do much to offset a subpar interior...but not in this price range. Hell I love the way LS1 F-Bodies and SN95 Terminator Cobras drive, but their awesome performance and potential doesn't change the fact that their interiors are complete and utter crap. Then again, F-Bodies and TCs didn't run 45k new. Would I take an '03 FX with its low grade interior over a second gen '04 RX330 with its more refined cabin? Hell yes. But while I place performance over interior appointments, it doesn't mean Infiniti shouldn't try to correct the vehicle's flaws. Sorry but the 03-05 FXs had shoddy interiors that did not belong in a 45k vehicle. The PROOF is in the fact that magazines constantly hounded Infiniti regarding the interior quality of the 03-05 FXs and the 03-04 G35s. The 06-08 models are a big step up from the 03-05 models in terms of interior appointments.

Last edited by bruddahmanmatt; 07-09-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Incognitog35
To answer the OP's questions, if you are looking for a crossover with sportscar-like handling, look no further. The FX is what you want. I've owned my 2004 for two years, and I still enjoy driving it to this day. Handles great, acceleration is good for an SUV of this size, and cargo room is sufficient for day to day travels and occasional road trips. I have the sport package with 20" wheels, and the comfort is fine. As someone else said, the ride is only bad on rough roads with potholes. Other than that, freeways are smooth.

As for the comments about the interior build quality, I think those are the wrong choice of words. The interior build quality is superb, as are most Japanese cars. I think you meant the interior material quality...which on the 03-05 was not as good as the 06-present. But it is not bad. To be honest, the interior on my 2004 FX35 is way better than the interior of my wife's 2003 G35. It feels like her car is a Nissan or something . Someone else mentioned that the shift gate on the newer models looks way better than the older models.....which I agree and thats exactly why TONS of FX owners including myself have upgraded the center shifter console for about $40.

In any case, sounds like you would lease a newer FX anyway, so all this talk about cheap interiors on the older models is useless in this discussion. I think you will love the FX.

Last edited by GixxerSteve; 07-12-2007 at 08:46 PM.