The FX-Spot For General discussion of the FX35/FX45

Jumbo low end build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumbo low end build

Ok G people, it's time to spew forth your knowledge on a forced induction VQ35DE. I'm going to tweak it tho - I'm driving an FX here, so my goals are torque and bottom end. I'm in a (relatively) clunky SUV and don't have too much need for high top speeds. I'm thinking more street/track style, but with the luxury feel of the car intact. Beast, but still beautiful. All the mods I have made to date support that vision, IMO.

Plan is to go for a turbo kit and I understand I'll be needing to address the fuel system, the turbo kit/configuration, LSD/final drive, engine building & engine management, but I have a few decisions to hash out before deciding on a kit.

Is it a good idea for me to change compression? What is the benefit of decreasing/increasing compression, in terms of performance and efficiency with my application goals in mind? Can any of you recommend pistons/rods/cams that would work together well with my heavier platform?

Last edited by jumbosrule; 02-08-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Bump

Anyone?

Bueller?

Got a little bit of feedback on 350Z forum. Pretty much recommending I leave the internals alone and go for a kit tuned to about 6-9psi boost and ~400whp. This takes out the need for forged internals for now - but can still upgrade in the future to go beyond the 400whp mark. At that point I'd be looking at forged internals, cams, upgraded fuel delivery and valve springs. But first things first.

Turbo kit with engine management. Most kits out there made for the 350Z or the G35 have design restrictions due to the engine bay space in these smaller cars. The FX with the surplus of bay real estate can allow us to customize a system that has less pressure drop and better flow characteristics. Of course this means a bit of custom work, but starting with a kit seems like a good idea.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 02-10-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Not a whole lot of feedback here on G35 driver. Luckily, I've been getting plenty of help from the 350Z and FX forums. Figured out some parts - not doing a kit so that I can package my runs more easily in the FX engine bay.

Finally getting into details! Model numbers and sizing finally taking shape.

Walbro 255 fuel pump
OEM GTR fuel injectors
Haltec EMS
-add Wideband
-add IAT
-add boost control
Tial MVS 38mm wastegate
Tial Q Series 50mm BOV
Garrett 3076R turbo
Tial .82 SS turbo exhaust housing
intercooler
custom ceramic coated piping all around
V-bands on hot side
silicone couplers & clamps on cold side
heat shielding

The general position of the turbo will go where my Stillen CAI is currently.

Downpipe will be routed beside the engine on the driver side to a Y-pipe feeding each cat.

Need to look at possibly removing the front engine tie brace as well as re-routing one coolant hose to keep it away from the turbo.

BOV and wastegate placement will be using a Y on a bend for good flow. Plenty of room to work with in the FX engine bay - no need for 90 degree off gates/BOV.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey Jumbo
Try posting in this section there is a Forced Induction spot there https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/ You can probably get help there .
There is not much action in this part for the FXs, most of the guys would miss your questions.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your engine is already a high compression. If you want to run anything above around 6 psi, you will need to build your bottom end and go with a lower compression. The best question to ask yourself, ifs how much power do you want? And if you are wanting low end, why a turbo? I could understand if you were looking to drag race or spin higher rpm's. Why not supercharge it and have the power all of the time?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by biggerandbetter
your engine is already a high compression. If you want to run anything above around 6 psi, you will need to build your bottom end and go with a lower compression. The best question to ask yourself, ifs how much power do you want? And if you are wanting low end, why a turbo? I could understand if you were looking to drag race or spin higher rpm's. Why not supercharge it and have the power all of the time?
Build is completed so I appreciate the advice but check out the end result.

The GT35R turbo with a 1.06 AR gives me between 400-450whp with a built bottom end and the GTR injectors I am using (85% duty cycle at 105F). That's the limit of my built transmission so we back off boost till I'm in the power range I'm looking for. There isn't much lag at all - I'm making boost by 2800rpm. The turbo starves for air a little on the top end but top speed was never a priority for this car. Not sure how often I have ever gone WOT to redline in any gear. Yes, I'll take it down the strip just for numbers but it's a hobby and a DD first.

For daily driving, it's a lux-o-beast, which is exactly what my plan has been.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Sleeper! Post some videos when you have a chance! I would love to see her run. Sorry you didn't recieve much feedback, this area of driver isn't often visited.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I was think about doing a S/C on my FX50S but then i realized that i dont need two FI cars..lol Nice build thou.. congrads

Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
BTW what is that top gauge? PLX one??

Old 04-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I think this is only the 3rd FX35 that is turbo on the forums right now. Post some vids.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by nyqueenz
BTW what is that top gauge? PLX one??

The top gauge is the PLX iMFD - check it out on their site. OBDII linked, selectable face, display 1 or 4 items at the same time, small four button remote that toggles screens ... sweet toy.

I have it set up to display oil pressure in the photo above. Usually I have it listing Oil pressure, Vacuum and Boost.

I'll post up vids when I get a chance - it's probably going to come from a buddy since I feel totally lame for trying to tape myself driving. The next meet I go to, I hope.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
See if you can find a first gen turbo Porsche Cayenne to race. The FX would take it.

Last edited by Andrei; 04-14-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow...insane build...must be nice to have a fast suv

Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go find a fx50 and race him

Old 04-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Andrei
See if you can find a first gen turbo Porsche Cayenne to race. The FX would take it.
I was always hoping I could take the Cayenne. Not sure if I could take all the trim models - Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, but I would hope so! I would love a heads-up run down a drag strip just to know for sure.

I have to believe an FX50S would be close but not a winner. Again - just need a good match up to know for sure. Will absolutely get a timeslip just so I know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jumbo low end build