awd vs rwd?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awd vs rwd?

hey guys im going to be trading in my 04' coupe for a 06+ awd fx. the local dealer has on 06 rwd but no awd. im going to be moving where the roads get black ice and snow so i would like to know if the awd handles that much better than the rwd. the rwd has the vdc which will help if the wheels spin out but only so much. so the question is what are the pros' and cons' of the rwd vs. awd. the dealer is really pushing me to get the rwd but im not sure if i want to wait it out to get the awd. tia guys!

Old 06-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
well on ice it dont matter how many wheels are spinning, your gonna slide as for RWD i hear that alot of Gs do really wheel with proper snow tires and steady driving with the VDC on, really i dont think the AWD is 100% needed but it is recommended althogh if you can get an amazing deal then RWD should do just find if you do your home work and get the right tires and stuff

Demand an AWD so that they drop the RWD make you an offer you cant refuse.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I put all seasons on my g coupe in South Dakota winters and do just fine in town. With the excellent ground clearance of an FX and non-summer tires, I wouldn't worry about it. That being said, AWD FX's are pretty common and shouldn't cost much more than a RWD. Travel a little if you need to and find an AWD. Buying a RWD FX in a snow area is like buying a base model Camaro - it's silly when you can spend a couple thousand more for a Z28 (back when they had Z28's that is). An AWD Fx will be substaintially more enjoyable for quick snow acceleration and tearing up parking lots.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Smile

I managed pretty good with my G and snow tires in NYC, much better than i expected. The vdc system is awesome, however theres no replacement for an AWD system.

the best scenario i will give you when rwd well put you in a mess is corners and acceleration. also if your rear tires get stuck in snow then you wont be able to move anywhere and have to get out and shovel. however with awd if 2 tires are stuck you still have 2 tires to get you out of the jam.

the main set back of awd drive is less MPG and tires wear out faster. otherwise its all benefits you can't go wrong with awd.

rwd is all about performance, but in the snow you will have to get snow tires so thats an extra set of tires and $100+ to get them installed and balanced. if you dont get snow tires expect to crash the car in the snow, and don't let the dealer sell you on all-season tires its crap that wont help you in the snow.

my 2cents from personal experience.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've managed to be stuck in deep deep deeeeeep snow in a FWD car and it took almost a day to get the car out.. Just imagine a rwd car stuck in that same snow.

No amount of traction control can top AWD

Old 06-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
mawells787 - I wanted to expand on your all seasons comment being crap in the snow. How did your parents get anywhere in the 70's when almost all cars were rear wheel drive and had all season tires? Did you know that many police depts run eagle RSA's rear round on their crown vics (rear wheel drive, all seasons)? I'm currently burning up the factory RE92's on my 17" winter setup and manage quite well in South Dakota winters with my G coupe.

Winter tires greatly enhance snow and ice traction but they're definitely not necessary. If the OP absolutly has to buy the local RWD Fx, he should manage just fine with proper driving on all seasons. The Fx is a heavy beast with high ground clearance - getting stuck in town wouldn't be very likely. Having difficulty stopping all that weight before hitting someone is another story.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 PM
i think the bottom line here for me is i should wait and get what i want. imagine i get the rwd and get stuck somewhere...... id be smacking my forehead going ''i shoulda got the awd'' so all things considered there arent really any cons when it comes to the awd but with the rwd there's always that what if scenario.... awd it is!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Get the AWD!

My x was at the dealer getting new tires, and they gave me a loaner G35 Sedan same year but RWD. I got stuck within 20 minutes (terrible Snow Storm)- Called the dealer made them come out and give me the AWD FX35, since I orginally asked for an X and didnt even double check before I got in the car.

Obviously snow tires would help but if you know that you will be in bad weather conditions definately get the AWD. Most importantly GET WHAT YOU WANT, wait it out it will be worth it. Obviously the dealer wants to sell you any car, they are not concerned with what you want.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Definitely get what you want and wait for the AWD. It is definitely the way to go if your road conditions are debateable. You will be glad you waited.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
to me the answer was really clear. with your stating black ice, that means the weather isn't that great either. get the AWD version.

the road conditions really play a matter of what car to get. there really isn't too many advantages to having a RWD. maybe that 1-2 MPG you can get but thats it. no fx comes in a manual trim. hold out for what you want to get or you will regret it later.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Gotta agree with TurTLe* and a few others, get exactly what you want and don't let the dealer dissuade you. Of course he wants you to buy a RWD because that's what he has on his lot. You'll have this car for many years, so don't settle.

As far as AWD vs. RWD, I'd say the right tires are more important in the winter than the number of drive wheels. And by right tires, I mean real winter tires, like Nokian WR's or maybe Blizzaks, not some all season crap. All season = 3 seasons + mild winter conditions no matter how good the all seasons are. You can probably "get by" with RWD and good all season tires in the winter, but who wants to just "get by"?. I've got Nokian WR G2's and AWD and my car is basically unstoppable. I drove my car several times through 12+ inches of snow and smiled as I passed lots of cars and big 'ol pickemups that weren't equipped for the conditions.

AWD + winters >>> RWD + winters > AWD + all seasons >>> RWD + all seasons. IMHO.

BTW, the police up here don't use Goodyear RSA's, which, BTW, are horrendous in snow. The cops know better. Tires matter.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
^ how are those nokian WR g2's ? I worked at a shop for a week that carried nokians, they told me they were all seasons tires but can do the work of winter tires.

I was there a week and mounted about 30 of them. extremely soft side wall tires. Very intersting thread pattern. All i know is they are made from finland.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
get the awd 4sure. Pretty much impossible to get stuck....I take the FX any day there's snow rather then the G :-)