The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Anyone suffers from heat blowing through steering column speak up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone suffers from heat blowing through steering column speak up

This is driving me crazy literally. I can't imagine this happens to all cars otherwise Infiniti would have fixed it due to the seriousness of the problem.

As some one has pointed out, the heat comes from the engine bay through the battery box but I doubt though. Since it does not happen in the morning but only happens after the car has been park outside in the heat of the sun. If it does in fact comes from the engine bay, then morning driving would present the same problem but it does not.

The heat comes from the opening below the steering column through the opening where you find the two levels used to adjust the steering column. So I would suspect that this only happens for cars with manual steering column adjustment. The one with power adjustment probably does not have this f** opening for the heat to come through.

This is literally driving me crazy and pissing me off at the same time . How could some thing like this did not get fixed considering the G35 is advertised as a sport luxury sedan.

If you are suffering from this, what do you do to keep your mind off it? I tried to turn on the AC but to no avail unless I could get some cool air to blow through the steering column and back out to the driver area.

Last edited by andy2; 07-20-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I have the same thing but it doesnt really bother me that much. It does get hot but only when My car has been in the sun like you said. Do you have anything installed like subs or an amp? It might be coming through where the power lines are entering form the engine bay. I have two power lines from the battery coming in from below my feet area. I didnt have the heat before but only after I had my subs and fog lights installed. I just turn on the a/c through the bottom area and its gone in a few minutes. I can def. live with it.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by drunkin master
I have the same thing but it doesnt really bother me that much. It does get hot but only when My car has been in the sun like you said. Do you have anything installed like subs or an amp? It might be coming through where the power lines are entering form the engine bay. I have two power lines from the battery coming in from below my feet area. I didnt have the heat before but only after I had my subs and fog lights installed. I just turn on the a/c through the bottom area and its gone in a few minutes. I can def. live with it.
My car is 100% stock. I do not have after market stuffs installed. Instereting that you mention it only happens only after you have installed the extra accessories. But why it only happens after you car has been out in the sun? If there is infact a leakage from engine bay, then the heat of the engine bay would come into the driver compartment regardless whether the car has been in the sun or not.

I notice when I use my hand to feel the underside of the steering column where the adjusting levers reside, I can definitely feel some sort of heat blowing through there. If somehow I could close off that area, may the heat will be deflected somewhat. But it will preclude the useage of the steering column adjusting levers.

Last edited by andy2; 07-20-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
if you wear a mini skirt you might feel it more often than wearing longer shorts and pants. I am just kidding!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the manual adjust but never noticed that the heat was entering around the steering column. I'll have to check, as I definately suffer from the same hot air entering the cabin while driving. Forget about turning the fan to the floor vents unless the A/C is blasting cold air. Cooked feet in minutes!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Someone had suggested that the heat comes from the engine bay through the battery box due to leakage.

But if that is the case then why it does not happen in morning driving presumably when the car has been in a cool condition. Morning drive will produce heat in the engine bay too.

Something happens when the car has been heated up. I just hope Infiniti designers did not intend to use the cabin as some kind of heat sink .

Anyway, when this happens, when I touch the metal through the opening below the steering column, it felt quite hot. This does not happen in morning driving.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by andy2
Someone had suggested that the heat comes from the engine bay through the battery box due to leakage.

But if that is the case then why it does not happen in morning driving presumably when the car has been in a cool condition. Morning drive will produce heat in the engine bay too.
The battery box area is sealed off from the engine compartment to some degree. If the car sits out in the hot sun then even the battery box area will get hot ... in fact, it may get hotter due to sun load then to engine bay heat.

Do this -- go drive around at night (no sun) for a while and see what it does. Also, after driving around at night stop and pop the hood to see how hot it is inside the battery box. That will tell you exactly how much engine bay heat transfers to the battery box while driving around without any sun heating things up.

Also, on a hot day after the car has been baking in the sun all day, pop the hood and do the same thing -- check to see how hot it is in the battery box.

I sounds like there is some kind of air leak somewhere that's letting heat in the interior. So if you drive long enough will the hot air coming out the steering column area eventually do away?

Old 08-27-2006, 11:06 PM
I noticed it this weekend, on a long drive into VA. It's not as pronounced in my car as the heat that comes into the cabin through the floor vents I guess. Kinda annoying in the summer. Also, is it me, or does hot air blow into the car when you have the vents on? I agree, having the car sit in the sun makes it worse.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:22 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
my feet get burnt by hot air, but thats not as high as the steering column, but still anoyin.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:07 PM
I've talked to the dealer and they told me that this particular problem has been reported by a lot of G35 owners.

I am not sure why the heat would blow only to the floor vent but not the dash vents since I would assume they are all connected, but maybe they are not.

I tried to seal the battery compartment as suggested by some one hear but did not work.

The problem is almost like you turn on "Air circulartion" mode in a hot day. What you would get is hot air entering and blowing out from the vents. I think there is a flaw in the way they design the air vent system. Somehow engine heat is able to enter the vent unintentionally.