The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Bad luck with mods(long - dissertation long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin
Trey i remember when you posted your last dyno with the MREv and your performance did not improve at all. Have you figured out why that combination of mods didn't work?

Also, where does the vibration in the shifter come from? that is really unfortunate.
I don't know exactly why it didn't work. And I'd like to clarify. It did show gains. Roughly half of what other people saw. But gains nonetheless.

I'm tempted on taking it off(but leaving the spacer) one day on a track trip to see what happens. Just an experiment.

As for the shifter, I have no clue. I experienced that behavior at 1201 miles the first time I revved it to 5k. When I let it engine brake, it just shimmied. It happened before I even thought about mods for this car. However, it has gotten worse over time.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
And the last reason: I want to be one of the faster sedans NA. Hell, if I could mount some stickies and pull a 1.7 like audiblemayhem(that's not gonna happen, but I can wish), I'd be *low* thirteens without all my current mods. My hope is to hit a 13.4 this fall, and if I can borrow some DR's, maybe a 13.2 or 13.1. That would be an acomplishment. Hell, if I against all reason managed to run a 12.999, I'd drive the car home, give the keys to my wife, and never drive the car again.
If it were me, I'd get rid of the cats and install headers and remove the dual exhaust and install an electric dump pipe. Since I know you'll keep the TD, I'd an exhaust shop install some flex sections on the Y-pipe. That will quell the vibrations you're getting. You're only one step away from having the quickest NA G35 sedan. All it will take is slicks. Don't waste your time with DRs. Even with a botched launch, slicks will improve ET better than your best launch on DRs. There is absolutely no reason why a G35 with slicks can't pull lower 1.8 60 foots on slicks. If Maxima guys can pull mid 1.7s with 200wtq and FWD with 26" slicks, then G35s should surely be able to pull at least the same. A 1.80 60 foot would easily drop you into the lower 13s.

Future mods for my G include an ECU flash, Aero bumper, painted side sills, and some 18s. That's about it. I'm not getting nuts with this car. It's not worth the money or headaches that are associated with adding lots of mods to a car. Instead, I'm going to buy myself a 89-93 Mustang LX as my drag/auto-X car and go to town on that car. The hell with compromises on that car Loud, violent, rough riding, etc. It will be acceptable.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by DaveB
If it were me, I'd get rid of the cats and install headers and remove the dual exhaust and install an electric dump pipe. Since I know you'll keep the TD, I'd an exhaust shop install some flex sections on the Y-pipe. That will quell the vibrations you're getting. You're only one step away from having the quickest NA G35 sedan. All it will take is slicks. Don't waste your time with DRs. Even with a botched launch, slicks will improve ET better than your best launch on DRs. There is absolutely no reason why a G35 with slicks can't pull lower 1.8 60 foots on slicks. If Maxima guys can pull mid 1.7s with 200wtq and FWD with 26" slicks, then G35s should surely be able to pull at least the same. A 1.80 60 foot would easily drop you into the lower 13s.

Future mods for my G include an ECU flash, Aero bumper, painted side sills, and some 18s. That's about it. I'm not getting nuts with this car. It's not worth the money or headaches that are associated with adding lots of mods to a car. Instead, I'm going to buy myself a 89-93 Mustang LX as my drag/auto-X car and go to town on that car. The hell with compromises on that car Loud, violent, rough riding, etc. It will be acceptable.
I hear ya man. Last year, we found a local miata at a used car dealership. That thing was rigged. It had coils, bbk, aftermarket strut bar, roll bar, sways, a supercharger, race seats, 4 point harness for both sides, a tiny steering wheel; man it was just waiting to be autocrossed. Out of the box. Don't remember the year, but it had right at 50k miles, the supercharger had less than 2k, and the lot was selling it for $14k.

I sometimes wish I would have gotten that car for autocrossing.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I hear ya man. Last year, we found a local miata at a used car dealership. That thing was rigged. It had coils, bbk, aftermarket strut bar, roll bar, sways, a supercharger, race seats, 4 point harness for both sides, a tiny steering wheel; man it was just waiting to be autocrossed. Out of the box. Don't remember the year, but it had right at 50k miles, the supercharger had less than 2k, and the lot was selling it for $14k.

I sometimes wish I would have gotten that car for autocrossing.
Yep. My cousin has a rare edition Miata that's black, has BBS rims, red/black leather, the larger 1.8 motor, and the stronger LSD rear diff. I've seriously considered on offering to buy the car from her. It has hardly any miles and she rarely drives it now, especially now that she just bought a new ES350. I'd put some wide 15" rims on with auto-x based street tires, roll bar, yellow Koni struts, Brembo blank rotors, race/street pads, a basic intercooled turbo setup and call it a day.

Another car I'm considering, if I can swing the price in about 2 years, is an S2000.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I got my aero bumper Dave

I totally agree with you on mods. I plan to mod carefully. But I'd highly recommend the sway bars.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I got my aero bumper Dave
Bite me.

Did you get the Coupe midpipe put on yet?

Old 07-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I tried the other day. But my idiot self stripped one of the nuts on the exhaust muffler side. duh! Not quite sure how to get that one off w/o mangling the stud or mangling the midpipe flange area to access the nut. It's sorta flared and hides the nut. Probably for strength.

Bite me.

Did you get the Coupe midpipe put on yet?

Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I tried the other day. But my idiot self stripped one of the nuts on the exhaust muffler side. duh! Not quite sure how to get that one off w/o mangling the stud or mangling the midpipe flange area to access the nut. It's sorta flared and hides the nut. Probably for strength.
In case you didn't notice, there are two bolts (in line) on the side of the muffler where the grounding strap connects to. I did the same and FUBARED the threads badly. I had to end up cutting the OEM bolt off, drill it out at the flange, and use a new bolt and nut.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
holy **** dude. u should of just saved up and bought everything new. u drove 21 hours to buy a used exhaust wtf thats to basically from florida-new york ur buggen dude. Im sorry to hear of ur experiences but u get what u ask or shall i say pay for. u buy used cheap parts ur gunna get these annoying headaches. As far as your car being slow its still a g35 and its got power this bolt on mods are simply to help improve that power. i say the best mods u can do are intake, plenum, heads, cats, exhaust, and cams, and pulleys and ur looken at a pretty fast g35. i dunno why u beat urself up for doen bolt ons or why people act like they are a waste of money for 200 bucks what do u think a intake is gunna do. i mean come on 3-5hp and a little noise factor thats all. I think if you under estimate your mods when u actually install them ur happier but if u build up a fcuken CAI like its a turbo and then u install it and are disapointed well then thats ur fault.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't know about you guys, but i've been looking at used 540's and M3's on craigslist. i don't know why. i've spent over $10k in mods on the car, and gained... can you guess it? practically nothing. now, granted, Aero body kit and 2 sets of different rims are definitely appearance mods... but for the few $k i spent on performance, i got **** for it. maybe 15-20hp. MAYBE. it's not worth it. FI is expensive and DANGEROUS, and anything else is just plain waste of money. i could've just got a faster car and be done. a car with features i want. speed. luxury. should'a bought an M5 or at least a 540/545... ah, forget it. 11pm rants suck.

i feel you, trey.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trey was it one of the right side bolts on your FSB? Because I had the same problem as well. But was able to get it to go back in with some airtools. It seemed to have been crossthreaded. The RSB takes 15 min to install compared to the front. Hehe. The front is the hardest one.

Also, your reasoning is about the same as mine. Every mod I put on I had a small issue with, and the car became not so refined as I'd like. I drive so much that I couldn't deal with it anymore so I sold the car and the mods. Reason why I got a cushy ride now and it will not see any mods except cosmetic. I am done with mods.

But I will say all the mods I have showed and proved to gain power unlike some people.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post Trey. Until you start getting into the mods and see the work, expense, and sometimes headaches involved, you have no clue whats coming. Thanks for throwing a little light over to our newbs

Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by codeflux
i don't know about you guys, but i've been looking at used 540's and M3's on craigslist. i don't know why. i've spent over $10k in mods on the car, and gained... can you guess it? practically nothing. now, granted, Aero body kit and 2 sets of different rims are definitely appearance mods... but for the few $k i spent on performance, i got **** for it. maybe 15-20hp. MAYBE. it's not worth it. FI is expensive and DANGEROUS, and anything else is just plain waste of money. i could've just got a faster car and be done. a car with features i want. speed. luxury. should'a bought an M5 or at least a 540/545... ah, forget it. 11pm rants suck.

i feel you, trey.
Like you wouldn't mod an M3 or 540.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by codeflux

i feel you, trey.
Ummmm $32K car vs $60-90K car? I'd hope to God the BMW 5-series would be quicker If you've got that much money to burn, why not keep the G, take all the useless mods off it to make it more refined and then pick up a used 03 Cobra or 02-03 C5 Z06? You can get into either of those cars for $23-32K and should offer enough power.....I'd hope.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Driver UR G
holy **** dude. u should of just saved up and bought everything new. u drove 21 hours to buy a used exhaust wtf thats to basically from florida-new york ur buggen dude. Im sorry to hear of ur experiences but u get what u ask or shall i say pay for. u buy used cheap parts ur gunna get these annoying headaches. As far as your car being slow its still a g35 and its got power this bolt on mods are simply to help improve that power. i say the best mods u can do are intake, plenum, heads, cats, exhaust, and cams, and pulleys and ur looken at a pretty fast g35. i dunno why u beat urself up for doen bolt ons or why people act like they are a waste of money for 200 bucks what do u think a intake is gunna do. i mean come on 3-5hp and a little noise factor thats all. I think if you under estimate your mods when u actually install them ur happier but if u build up a fcuken CAI like its a turbo and then u install it and are disapointed well then thats ur fault.
Dude, I don't think you quite understood the post. None of the problems I had were because of cheap, or used parts, until the deal with the missing pins for my flywheel. The crossthreaded bolt for the front sway bar was like that from the factory. The heatshield/fitment issues with the kinetix cats were inherently due to the design; it was a known issue with the earlier version of the cats. And the trip for the exhaust was fun. New, the exhaust is around a grand. I got it used for $300. I spent $95 in gas to go get it and come back. I didn't even drive my car to go get it. I had my best friend ride with me; mini road trip.

If I had bought all of these parts new, I would have spent nearly double the money(exhaust being the biggest delta), and I still would have the same problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad luck with mods(long - dissertation long)