The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

The Official "What gas are you using and how much" thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DenverG35X
Think if it this way. You may have to pay a few more dollars extra per fillup by using 91 octane, but that's like giving up a coke or coffee every so often. But, not only that, by using 91 octane, it will keep the car running better so that in the long run, you won't have to worry about other mechanical problems.
Preventative maintenance starts as soon as you get your car.
yes, if you have the car for 10 years. And if you add up that extra $1.70 each time you fill up gas for a whole year it does make a difference.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by hai109
Lets put this in perspective...We use 91 right...56-65 bucks for a fill up...My tundra with 89 mid grade....Fills up at 70-75 but will go thru the tank a lot faster. Imagine the other SUV owners...Yikes...
yup. yikes indeed,.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:18 AM
hwa
Originally Posted by Justification
I gotta say the gas prices are killing us. In philly it is about 3.40 a gallon and a full tank runs about $56 dollars or so. I hate to break the bad news, but just today BP announced that it had to shut down part of the alaska pipe line which supplies the US with about 12% of its full. The paper said that fuel prices are going to rise at least another 10-12 cents per gallon if not more
I read it affects 8% of US production, but only 2% of total US gasoline consumption considering much of our fuel is imported. Also, this will take a toll more on oil reserves as opposed to current fuel provisions, although I would still be expecting a hike in prices sometime soon.

Also, as for using cheaper gas, you shouldn't be even buying a luxury sports car like the G35 if you can't afford the upkeep or plan on skimping around quality maintenance or fuel. Expensive toys require expensive care.

...although I do admit to filling up my car at one of those no-name gas stations once to save 10 cents/gal..but i pumped Premium!

Last edited by hwa; 08-09-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by ashtangaz2001
yes, if you have the car for 10 years. And if you add up that extra $1.70 each time you fill up gas for a whole year it does make a difference.
Yes, 1.70 per fill up over 10 years does add up to a lot. but what about thousands of dollars due to internal damage because you didn't want to spend that $1.70?

Old 08-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by Greeknasty
i use mid grade cause of gas prices...should be using premium..around 35$ a tank

what about everyone else?..

and does premium make the gas last longer?? or what does it do to a coupe?
I use Chevron 94, dunno if premium last "longer"....I only know I like the exuast note

Old 08-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by strife
I use Chevron 94, dunno if premium last "longer"....I only know I like the exuast note
Yo! where do you live in Vancouver? richmond?

I fill up on 94 chev...i have never filled the car lower than that

Old 08-09-2006, 08:16 AM
I only use Shell V-power 93 octane. I fill up at the same station 99% of the time. But then again I work for shell, so I am just trying to pad my bonus. lol.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ashtangaz2001
If you get gas twice a week every week, that still only breaks down to an extra $14 a month. If you can't afford $14 a month, why did you buy a $35k+ car? Over a course of 10 years, this total cost is roughly the equivalent of just one LV purse. If money is an issue, there are other ways to cut costs. (ie, get the wife to cut down on her purse purchases )

Old 08-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by hwa
I read it affects 8% of US production, but only 2% of total US gasoline consumption considering much of our fuel is imported. Also, this will take a toll more on oil reserves as opposed to current fuel provisions, although I would still be expecting a hike in prices sometime soon.
The gas/oil industry likes to piggy back onto whatever scare tactic they can to justify their price increases. Almost all of the oil from Alaska goes to the west coast, so it shouldn't affect east coast prices.... In fact, this contradicts the information the oil industry gave us a few years ago. During an investigation into price-gouging, the oil industry said that west-coast prices are higher, because they are "far away" from all the refineries in the east/gulf coast. And said we don't have a distribution pipeline etc.

Now today they are saying that actually west coast gas, comes from west coast refineries that get their oil from the alaskan pipeline, and that a small % of our gas came from said refineries back east

And if they use reserves that they ship to the refineries, shouldn't that make stabilize the output of the refinery? So why the price increase? They would've barged the oil into the refinery from valdez anyways.

And people keep saying that we don't have enough refineries, and we import lots of our gas from asia.... Wouldn't that mean that all this gas is arriving through west-coast terminals? Hmmmm

I bet when the pipelines are re-opened, they won't bother to lower prices. Oil companies are quick to raise prices when someone has a dream about a problem, but scream bloody murder when it comes to lowering prices when everything is all good...

I mean think about it... If these price increases are really because of overhead cost increases... Why are they reporting record profits quarter after quarter? Lying scumbags

Last edited by avs007; 08-09-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Glad to say that for the whole six months of owning my car i have given her the best and the best only. Premium Vpower or Chevron Supreme w/ Techron.

Gas price right now in Sa texas $3.08

takes about $45 to fill up

Old 08-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
i use shell/chevron and 91 octane only. ive never paid less than 50 bucks but never more than 60 either

Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gas prices indeed has gone up more than it should. I use to remember when gas was .89 cents/gal for supreme unleaded. I happen to have a daily driver which I use to fill up for $30 and would go 400+ miles before the next gas fill. Now the same car takes about $45 to fill up. I drive my G on the weekends so don't really care about how much gas I use up when I'm driving it. I only use one type of gas and that is Chevron I think it's the best. 91 octane is the only gas going in my tank nothing lower. For me it's not worth dealing with the trouble that it will cause later on. At $3.40/gal right now it takes about 55-65 depending on how much I have left in my tank. My new CLS500 takes about the same amount of gas but gets more to the gallon than the G.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Baller
I tend to never fill up so the car is lighter (lighter = fast acceleration) i always put in a half tank of shell v-power. I like both shell and chevron both are the same to me i just prefer the shell name. usually put in 9 gallons and cost me 30 dollars. The only time i fill up is when i am going to orlando from sarasota...
Extra weight is not necessarily bad. If the weight is focused on the rear wheels in this case it does it should help with traction. I haven't noticed any real performance difference between a half a tank or a full tank.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by grifter91
Extra weight is not necessarily bad. If the weight is focused on the rear wheels in this case it does it should help with traction. I haven't noticed any real performance difference between a half a tank or a full tank.

go run a 1/4 mile on a full tank and then go run a 1/4 mile on a half tank.....then see what i mean my time difference went from 14.1 on a half tank to 14.4 on a fulltank

Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 PM
im gald to see everyone replying..

GreeKNastY<---goes to fill up tank with premium..

haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Official "What gas are you using and how much" thread