The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Beware plastic bags!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Beware plastic bags!

Random post for a random event. Few days ago, i started smelling some burning plastic when driving the G. Thought something had gotten caught up around the headers and popped the hood and did some searching. Nothing. Nothing in the grill. No exhaust pipes touching in the rear. Nothing melted in the trunk. Gave up.

Few days later i'm checking under the midsection and i notice burnt plastic baggie, like the grocery store bags, caked on the driver's side cat. Remembered having to run over a bag on the highway earlier that week. Rear glass was fogged so i didn't see it come out, but figured it must have, and it couldn't cause any damage unless it hit the intake inlet. Guess i was wrong

The highways here are littered with trash! Not just the random fast food container. In one week i was hit with roofing shingles (minor scratches on the lower pass side bumper) and what looked like a refridgerator box. That one hurt. Stereotypical sorostitue in her SUV, talking on the phone, drifted across the lane to hit the box that everyone was avoiding. Kicked it up and landed on G from about 3 or 4 car lengths away. Knocked my mirror closed, and the staples or whatnot put pinhole chips in the paint People, secure your stuff when driving! Till then, it's stay 10 car lengths behind anyone or ride their *** so it doesn't have room to get kicked up :P

Old 10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had a bag get stuck on my rear section of the exhaust... the burnt smell was there for a few weeks...but just went away...no biggie

Old 10-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
lol' this is why I got a new Y-Pipe. this happend to me when i first got the car. it acctually got wrapped around and the smell was in the cabin... Good to hear this happend to others!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that **** pissed me off so much when i caught one... it melted all over the y pipe and took me forever to get the smell out and the plastic off...

Old 10-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
mixture, you didn't replace the pipe b/c of something the baggie did? There's no sort of coating on the exhaust pieces that i'm aware of so i didn't worry about the burnt baggie, just went down to the local carwash and took the pressure wash gun to it. And yeah the smell went away so i haven't worried about it. Maybe i ought to take another look...

Old 10-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
nah. It was an excuse to change the Y-pipe. I told my wife that the smell would never go away. so I could spend the dough on a new Y-pipe.. I cant wait till a nail gets stuck in my exhaust from road debris. he he he... hks, here i come...

Old 10-09-2006, 06:43 AM
MsA
Haha nice....The worst experience I ever had with a bag was having one stuck on my front bumper when I was driving on the highway. I saw I ran it over but it never popped out when I looked out the rear view mirror.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:12 AM
I haven't had a bag stuck to the exhaust, but I did get one of those big, heavy duty trash bags wrapped around my drive shaft once while driving on the highway. I could barely reach it from the side of the car but I was able to tear it off.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 AM
I also had an encounter with a plastic bag, but after I tore off what hadn't melted and stuck on, I left the rest and it was never a problem.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:20 PM
it happened to me when i had the oem exhaust on...gave me a reason to upgrade...now i avoid plastic bags at all costs...a good way to get it off is by getting a towel and taking the plastic off while the exhaust is still hot...

Old 10-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
It's happened to me twice. The first one was the worst. Coincidentally, it also occurred right after I had my Fujitusboe Y-pipe installed. It was there for a while and I was so worried that something was wrong with my G. Took it to the dealer and they told me it was just a plastic bag. Stupid bag

Old 10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
had a bag get stuck on my rear section of the exhaust... the burnt smell was there for a few weeks...but just went away...no biggie
yeah I had the same ting. went away but it stunk.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:16 AM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess this is a common phenomenon. lol. happened with my other car.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Beware or be aware..............

I used to drive I-5 twice a day to and from work. My
biggest fear was those treads from semis laying on the
road. Hit one of those and you've got instant damage!

Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Thats crazy,never heard of a problem like this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware plastic bags!