The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Crash experience -- Spinning and flipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2006 | 12:26 PM
|
Yeah, I learned my lesson in terms of driving slow in bad weather.

In answering to the last post, I did try to do minor adjustments when the car started to glide a little towards the left initially. Also, did I mention that I felt like the left side of the car was off the ground before it started spinning. Maybe it was just too much eccentrical force that's pushing the suspension on the right down when the car was turn left that felt like the left was up. Anyway, yesterday I went to the towing company to see the car again. I noticed that both brake discs on the left are covered with corrotion. And the two on the right are pretty clean. Could this be the result of VDC or ABS braking hard on the left while trying to correct the cars movement during or right before the spinning (it was spinning clockwise)?

Also, I am not sure if hard brake after it started spinning will actually help in my case. My thoughts were if you brake, the car becomes a flat plane and just letting the spinning force do its job. But if I let the tires rotate, it'll have a force that's 90 degree to the spinning force and it should help in correcting the direction of the car movement.

But I certainly agree that when the car started floating on the water, all the adjustments don't make much difference anymore. And those michellen tires suck!!!!

Old 11-29-2006 | 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by ansetou
And those michellen tires suck!!!!
Out of curiosity, what was the temperature outside when this happened? Just curious, because my stock pilots felt like rolling ice cubes when I drove it in on wet pavement in 45 degree weather when I first got the car.

When I replaced them with Pilot Sport All/Season, that went away.

Old 12-01-2006 | 10:11 AM
damn! lets see the photos. glad u made it out of there things could have been much worse...ur funeral could have been over and done with already keep that in mind! i lost my brother in april after he was ejected from his m3 at 120 mph after it spun, rolled, and flipped for over 700ft looking at his car in 1000 pieces in the impound wasnt the greatest sight either....he was not wearing his safely belt which couldve saved his life DRIVE SAFELY PEOPLE!!!

Old 12-05-2006 | 11:54 AM
|
sorry about your brother's death. do you know how he lost control? well, i can not emphasize enough how the simple seat belt saved me from any serious injure or the worst.

the weather was about 60 degrees I'd say. it has been warm around here until end of last week. i agree with you that the stock summer tires suck on wet surface.

Old 12-05-2006 | 01:00 PM
i wish i knew. we have yet to pick up the full official report with witness statements and such so my fam and i are kinda clueless. His good friend was also with him also ejected and he survived and is now ok but does not remember anything. My bro was part of the m3forum and e46fanatics those guys showed much support and we even had a memorial drive for him...his M3was a serious machine...he had the complete csl carbon fiber kit as well as bilstein and h&r suspension, 15inch brembos, etc...my guess is since the impact was calculated at 118mph im guessing he was doing at least 150mph....the unofficial report which had a drawn out map of 200+feet of the accident showing that the car went onto the shoulder to pass someone and since shoulder lanes are usually not elevated to the road (this one was not anyway) so the unevenness of the pavement and his tight suspension may have thrown him out of line sending his car sideways into a the steel guard rails at VERY highspeeds causing his car to do what i cant even imagine in my head, and at those speeds you can do nothing at all...there was also a guy on a ducati who also crashed and broke a arm and leg blaming it on the on my bro so he sued his insurance for 100,000 dollars and won....im sure he knows exactly what happened. who knows my bro was an awesome guy with alot going for him...he was an experienced driver who used to race mustangs and also had a 350z b4 the M. he wouldnt risk other lives or put anyone in danger on purpose thats for sure! RIP Fred!!

Old 12-05-2006 | 03:23 PM
The goblin resurrection
Premier Member
man sorry to hear about that

Old 12-05-2006 | 04:10 PM
im glad my sedan didnt flip over when i went sideways on the freeway

scary stuff!
glad your okay man.

Old 12-05-2006 | 09:30 PM
thats crazy. be thankful youre still alive. spinouts like that make me want my subi back. RWD aint no joke.

Old 12-06-2006 | 03:28 AM
I feel for you, i had an accident much like your few months back, but i wasnt driving as fast as you are though. My car lost traction and slide from the left lane to the right lane and it hit the wall...then i gained back traction. Lucky me no one was on the right lane when the car lost control or i could have hurt someone

Be thankful that you are not seriously hurt, and driving safe fellow g35 owners!

Old 12-06-2006 | 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by G-MENTED
thats crazy. be thankful youre still alive. spinouts like that make me want my subi back. RWD aint no joke.
+1; RWD + almost 300hp = easy spin if you aren't careful.

Old 12-30-2006 | 04:32 AM
oo man.. this makes me sad. i just crash my G coupe two days ago. i was merging (turning) onto another freeeway going too fast..i broke way hard (which you should never do on rwd), wheels locked, went up a wall and flippped =( . i really should have turned the vdc offf and gased it ***sigh. well glad to hear ur okkk tooo! .. scaryyy

Old 12-30-2006 | 02:01 PM
be thankful youre ok.