The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Almost misshifted today.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost misshifted today.....

I was taking off from the stop light today and had no one in front of me and decided to run it out in a couple of gears. I was shifting around 6K in 3rd and pulled it into 2nd instead of 4th. I was starting to let the clutch out and felt the car drag for a second, I knew that I had put it into the wrong gear. I slammed the clutch back to the floor and put it into neutral.

I was nervous for the rest of the drive to work, everything seemed normal, there were no abnormal sounds from the engine. It idle's perfect and rev's nice and smooth. I will check the oil tomorrow morning as I'm sure that I burned through a little extra oil.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
lmao

Don't worry man, your car will be fine. I know people that put it through worse things everyday, driving at 5k rpm for a couple of blocks, in case they need to race haha

Old 04-19-2007, 01:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
yea.. i think your quick reaction helped saved your a$$....

Old 04-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yea i almost fvcked up my tranny today too. except i was supposed to go into 6th, and i think i shifted into reverse. lol before i started to let the clutch out i was like wait... did i just push down on the shifter and shift? lol i was so out of it today...

Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ that would not have been good!

One time I was arguing real bad with my gf while driving... EX-gf... and as I was slowing down for a light going about 15-20, she threw the shifter in Parking. The car didnt stop like crazy or anything, the tranny simply grinded, I thought it was gunna fall out! I ran outta the car and looked under, I seriously thought it was just gunna break into pieces. Thank gawd it was on my old Hyundai... if she did that on the G, I wouldn't be able to control myself and end up in jail for ummm... you get the point lol

Old 04-19-2007, 08:23 AM
I owned a Celica GT-S 6 Spd a couple years back and made the mistake of letting my friend (who had been driving stick longer than me) drive me around for my birthday. Well long story short, he decided to race an eclipse and ended up shifting to 2nd at 88 MPH. The computer read 11,720 RPM. He smashed all 16 valves, tore the teeth off the second gear synchro, and ripped some of the clutch off. Luckily the car started up in -4 degree weather (sounded like a mustang with a loopy idle) and drove 15 miles on the highway to the dealer. Surprisingly, it revved smooth and drove on the highway just fine. Gas mileage went from 34 MPG down to 14 lol. The repairs would have cost 7300$, but I knew the guys at the dealer and they only charged him 2000. Then a year later, some idiot in an F350 who was DUI ended the life of that car. Man I miss that car, I pulled some great track times in it. But you're very lucky, I can't imagine this motor would be cheap to fix/replace. I already know the tranny isn't LOL.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow some crazy stories...Anyway, yes, I've missed a shift in my previous Maxima too--the same 3rd-to-2nd, because I missed 4th...I was going about 80, and the car dragged big-time as soon as I let off the clutch--tach needle was off the chart...Anyway, no harm done. Thankfully Nissan's are durable...drove it for years after that with no problems...

Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 AM
This may be a really dumb question but I don't know all that much about 6MTs. Do 6MTs have rev limiters similar what we 5ATs have? I could see it being useful in the case of a mis-shift.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 AM
We have rev limiters, but it only works on revving thru a gear, not gear transitions. Meaning, it will limit if we rev up while in one gear, but it can't stop it if we shift down to a lower gear at a speed higher than the rev limit would be.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:02 AM
No fuel cutoff for 6MT's ?

Old 04-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 86 300zx never let me shift into the wrong gear. I think it had a lock out or something. My 02 Altima was a different story. At 2,000 miles on the car I was racing my buddies GSR, I was pullin ahead at the end of my 2nd gear going to third and it went right into first gear, heard a loud screech and grind. Car was fine except for the whistle from the transmission. Took to the dealer they said i wasn't pressing in the clutch all the way thats why it sounded funny. I took them for a test drive pressing the clutch in all the way when shifting, and showed them, they ordered a new transmission for free. At 8,000 miles I was racing my buddies SI up a hill and since I was pullin away so hard in third gear I thought it would be fun to shift to 4th gear and really rub it in that he couldn't catch up, well I went into 2nd gear and he ended up beating me. Same thing happened, got a tranny wine and took it back to nissan for tranny #3. At 38,000 miles the engine started ticking literally. Took it to the dealer and there was no oil in it, luckily another dealership did an oil change 2,000 miles prior to the ticking without asking me because of some recall. They took my synthetic oil out and put regular oil in (if this matters). they told me it was my fault, I told them another dealership did my oil change less than 2,000 miles ago....they confirmed it and a new engine was ordered. Not sure if the ticking started to happen because when I mis shifted the RPMS went to like 9,000 on both occassions or because the oil was changed from synthetic to dino....

Old 04-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I've never done it in the 6MT, but I would think if you're able to slam it into the incorrect gear, no fuel cut-off or rev limiter will be able to help you at that point once you let off the clutch, as the car is already traveling at speed beyond the gear's limit. maybe only if the trans had a lock-out or was smart enough to not engage the gear and leave it as if you were riding your clutch, but I doubt the manual trans has that type of logic built in (the latter anyway). Past experience though has been that the rpm's and speed wind down pretty quickly, so the chance of damage may be reduced--but that also depends on how fast you're going. Imagine topping out 5th and then banging the gear into 2nd...ouch...

Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by ndlive
yea i almost fvcked up my tranny today too. except i was supposed to go into 6th, and i think i shifted into reverse. lol before i started to let the clutch out i was like wait... did i just push down on the shifter and shift? lol i was so out of it today...
That's weird ... I thought the reverse gear had no synchros (makes sense since you *should* be stopped before engaging reverse)

Not sure if you can engage Reverse when going from 5 to 6 by mistake (and NO - no way in h3ll that I'm going to try that out !!)

Old 04-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I didn't think you could engage reverse from 5th either, but yeah, not gonna try....

Old 04-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
(IIRC, I posted this a while back... but if you haven't seen this already...)

FWIW....
Some may not be aware of a way to handle the shifter to help minimize mis-shifts...

LINKY

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Almost misshifted today.....