The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Oil Consumption test = 15min??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Consumption test = 15min??

So I'm doing my oil consumption tests again with the new engine. The service manager say's that it only takes 15 minutes to check. Through experience, I know that this dipstick is impossible to read when the car is hot.

I used to leave my car over night at the first dealership (first engine) I was getting my oil consumption checked at. This car takes hours to cool.

15min? Am I missing something? I called one of the service managers again today. And asked him to explain to me how they would do this. And added somewhat sarcastically, if they've developled a new technique. Especially since it's so hot today in MD (94deg). He say's "well since it's hot, I would'nt recommend coming in today. But usually in the 80's is ok to check your oil (after 15 minutes)".

Someone pleeeease tell me that these people aren't BSing me.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by ghost30
So I'm doing my oil consumption tests again with the new engine. The service manager say's that it only takes 15 minutes to check. Through experience, I know that this dipstick is impossible to read when the car is hot.

I used to leave my car over night at the first dealership (first engine) I was getting my oil consumption checked at. This car takes hours to cool.

15min? Am I missing something? I called one of the service managers again today. And asked him to explain to me how they would do this. And added somewhat sarcastically, if they've developled a new technique. Especially since it's so hot today in MD (94deg). He say's "well since it's hot, I would'nt recommend coming in today. But usually in the 80's is ok to check your oil (after 15 minutes)".

Someone pleeeease tell me that these people aren't BSing me.
They're buying time.. Drive the car as much as you like until it runs out of oil and tell them you went ahead and checked the oil consumption for them..
What state are you in and how long have you had your car. I can let you know all the steps you need to file under the lemon law. Eventually they'll have to answer for this kind of crap.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I can tell you this. At my dealership (Glendale, CA), it never took more than 15-20 minutes for them to check my oil level. I took it in 3 times for oil consumption tests and all three times it was 1 1/2 quarts or more low after 1000 miles. After the 3rd test, I got my new engine (long block).

Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Took mine in yesterday for the oil consumption check 2K miles after dealer oil change. Of course I've been checking the level myself first thing in the morning before starting the car. The level was at least over a quart low by my check -oil level below the gage on the dipstick. After waiting over an hour they check me out and the service tech has recorded "oil level half quart low". Looks like I may have to find another dealership if the consumption continues.