The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Dealer says warranty void cause of plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealer says warranty void cause of plenum

Hi everyone, got a pretty screwed up situation. My car had 58000 miles on it when I took it to the dealer to get my problem checked so I still had warranty. I took it in cause I thought it was consuming a lot of oil. When I did and told them, they decided to do a oil consumption test. Turns out my car is eating quart and a half of oil every 1000 miles. So due to this I talked to the dealer's master technician, and he states that infiniti corportation will not cover the problem because the Crawford Z plenum is eating oil. Doesn't that sound nuts?! Anyone have any suggestions? If you are a licensed mechanic, please put plenty of inputs so I can print it out and show to the dealership...thinking about going to court if this continues. Any help with be great. Thanks everyone!!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
put your stock plenum back on and take it to another dealer. the Crawford plenum would NOT cause the car to burn up oil.
-GP-

Old 07-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
put your stock plenum back on and take it to another dealer. the Crawford plenum would NOT cause the car to burn up oil.
-GP-
^ +1

Old 07-20-2007, 12:03 AM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought infiniti had a system where they note your mods and it shows up wherever you take it. maybe you can find a mod friendly dealer close by?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:05 AM
man sorry to hear that bro.. i would of taken out the plenum before bring the car into the dealer... "the dealer's master technician, and he states that infiniti corportation will not cover the problem because the Crawford Z plenum is eating oil. Doesn't that sound nuts?!" no i don't think that sound nuts.. GL

Old 07-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Have the *********** s prove it!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:13 AM
there's actually a legal precedent for you to still be under warranty. I can't remember the name exactly (google is your friend) but basically they have to prove the aftermarket part DIRECTLY caused the incident to not cover it. Simly having it on does not void the warranty.

There's plenty of documentation here that would suggest Infinity also has sufficient documentation about the extent of the oil issue so that you could easily argue its a car problem regardless the swapped part. I wish I could remember the case name...

I love google. Never say I didnt give you anything, lol. Its the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

more info here: http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html

Old 07-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by wes g
Have the *********** s prove it!!!

LOL!!!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the spacer and at 74,000 miles I'm having same problem..........

Old 07-20-2007, 02:26 AM
wtf? whats this line for?
BINGO! This guy hit it right on the head. The dealer has to prove that ur plenum is causing the problem. I say u print out a copy of the magnuson moss act and shove it in their face and tell them to either prove ur mod is the problem or replace your engine. Good luck though
Originally Posted by pantablo
there's actually a legal precedent for you to still be under warranty. I can't remember the name exactly (google is your friend) but basically they have to prove the aftermarket part DIRECTLY caused the incident to not cover it. Simly having it on does not void the warranty.

There's plenty of documentation here that would suggest Infinity also has sufficient documentation about the extent of the oil issue so that you could easily argue its a car problem regardless the swapped part. I wish I could remember the case name...

I love google. Never say I didnt give you anything, lol. Its the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

more info here: http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html

Old 07-20-2007, 10:26 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
put the car back to stock and go to another dealer, make sure you do this before the warrenty is up or you are lookin at some serious $$$

Old 07-20-2007, 01:40 PM
One guy here in town that I know had his vehicle tested for oil consumption. He failed four times not only three (test required) but they asked him to go back a fourth time. Once all was done and he had failed. He got a friendly, "Infiniti should be putting out a TSB on the oil consumption issues the cars are having. At that time we will correct your problem!" Thats why they are called "STEALERSHIPS". They dont give a f&^&

Last edited by Serg; 07-20-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supposedly it's changing. Nissan typically is more open to legal mods esp. those they sanction. NISMO and usually Stillen.
It is taking longer for some Infiniti dealers to come around.
If in doubt at all, remove the mod and save yourself a headache or a long drive to another less convenient dealer. Try to get friendly with the service staff and find out what they will accept. Might be worth the cost of an oil change (bring your own oil and filter to save some money) so you become a familiar face.
My local Nissan dealer only charges me $10 for an oil/filter change. Plus they are into the cars. But can't do the warranty work.

Last edited by fortified; 07-20-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:53 PM
g45
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
-GP-
+100

Old 07-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned
G35/350Z oil consumption problem

Don't believe MOST dealer service writers since they are trained to lie. This problem does exist. My car (2006 coupe with 6mt) had to have a new motor put in at 10k miles due to running without oil even though there was no exterior leakl. Entire new long block installed under warranty through INfiniti.
Between this problem and tire problems due to messed up supension geometry, I'm not sure just how good of a car the G is. BMW 3 is starting to look better and better.
I'm sure Carlos (new CEO of Nissan) got a great deal on some cheap piston rings and jumped at it. They should go down hard for these problems.
Nissan sales are WAY down and so is quality and rankings in Consumer Reports.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer says warranty void cause of plenum