The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Looking to buy a 04-07 (used) G35 Coupe. Need some advice please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy a 04-07 (used) G35 Coupe. Need some advice please...

Hey everyone, my name is Mike. I'm 20 years old (21 in August), and I currently attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill during the school year, while residing in Croton Harmon, NY during the summertime.

Up until recently I didn't have my own car, but now that I'm living off campus next year, my parents have agreed to buy me a car. My family is very well off (I am *very* *very* lucky, and I know this, please don't flame...). My Dad drives an S55 AMG, my Mom has an SL65 AMG (yes, 600 hp. She had a Viper before that, didn't think it was luxurious enough), we have an Escalade, and my younger brother just took delivery on a brand new CTS. However, my parents are also very strict about doing things *their* way, so when I say I can and can't do certain things, trust me, it's not me, it's just them. I'm lucky to be from such a great family, but I have to abide by their weird rules at the same time.

((Please don't flame that, I'm just introducing myself...))

Anyways, they have set a 30,000 dollar limit on myself (something like 30,500 is do-able, but not much higher than that, you get the idea), and have agreed to let me look at G35's. I've wanted one since they came out, but they didn't think I was a good enough driver to handle one as a 16 year old (I've never have any traffic violations, only been rear-ended at a stop sign once, that's all).

So I'm looking for a 2004-2007 (*I know the 07 is probably out of my price range*) G35 coupe. I don't have many requirements, but it has to be a 6MT, and have black interior. I've narrowed down my outside colors to either straight black, or either Aspen or Caribbean blue. I want the fastest G possible for whatever model year it is. The navigation is an option I don't seem to be finding much, and the more I think about it, the more I feel as though it's not necessarily worth hunting down. Would you guys agree with this?

Also, is there a general preference on these boards as to what the best model year is? I know in some weird situations 2004 cars can somehow be preferred to 2006 cars, and I'm curious if that is the case here. Also, is there a specific audio system I should look for or possibly avoid (i.e., maybe the Bose system is hard to mod?).

I'm not big on performance upgrades. I've been promised a GT500 for my college graduation present (I'm a muscle-head at heart ), so I only have two years with my G, and I'm not going to dump a *ton* of money into it. I want something that looks awesome, and I might put a new head-unit into it, and maybe a body kit, with some interior / exterior light modifications (interior LED's, exterior HID's maybe?), but nothing too crazy. I want the fastest stock one possible, so I don't really have to worry about it.

Anyways, the whole point of this thread is to ask your advice. What colors do you guys prefer? Should I seek out a nav system? Should I just automatically go for the 2006 instead of the 2004, or vice versa? Is there any other crazy things that I should know before getting into this?

Please, really, anything you guys have to offer is amazing. I've been lurking for a few days now, and I gotta say that everyone here as a whole has some of the most beautiful cars / women / children / dogs, etc. that I've ever seen. The dedication here is remarkable, and I just hope I can tap into a little bit of that for some friendly advice!!

Thanks SO much in advance!! Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:02 PM
yeah i would have to say 04 is probably the best produced G so far i have an 03 and at 50k miles had to have the transmission replaced but infiniti covered it i got a steal on mine for 20k its fully loaded with nav and brembo's doesnt have black int. only downside but hell ill prolly salvage yard hunt and buy an interior swap unless dash is ruined. as for the head unit... its not as easy as say a honda or ford ect. you'll have to buy a Double Din dash to be able to hold it set up is around $250 as to you question about fastest? i had a 06 rental g35 sedan and it was a little quicker but i hate how the newer spoilers look on the coupes.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Get the newest car you can afford

for 30K you can get a fully equipped 2007.

I fell in love with a blue color 2007 but the certified used Inifniti dealer wouldn't go below 28k.

So I setteled on a Silver 2006 ATX with black interior.
came with the sport wheels, Sun roof and a spoiler. I am a happy camper.

No fancy Nav or Bose stereo, both overated in my opinion but to each his own. The stock stereo does me fine.

Take the money that the Nav and the Bose stereo would cost and get some bolt on engine upgrades and a sexy exhaust.

A GT 500 huh? Nice muscle but I am not impressed with Fords anymore.

a GT40 however would work

Nice parrents, I busted my ***** to buy my first car.

Good luck, Buyer beware so don't settle on the first car you see, I will bet you 10 grand there is a better looking one arround the corner.