The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Tips for convincing Dad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for convincing Dad

So here's the deal, I am currently driving an 05 Toyota Tacoma which I like, but I am in love with every g35 that I see. The Tacoma is a great truck and I like what i've done with it(lift, system, etc.), but it has been a little problematic. So now it is time to convince my dad to let me sell my truck and get a g35, he's not sold because we are a "toyota family" and my dad is all about reliability. So I am hoping to get some feedback from you guys with g35s on what can be my selling points to pops.

I've read a lot of the things on this forum, but looking for a little help

Please and thanks for all responses

Old 06-07-2009, 04:04 PM
how much u want for the tacoma?

Old 06-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Ask him what he doesn't like about nissans/infiniti's. Mention that the VQ series has been on the ten best engines list for over ten years now. show him reviews from all over the internet (the ones i've seen rank it fairly high) I love my G over 100K and still rollin strong

Old 06-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Ill probably look for around 18k for the Tacoma(4 door, TRD Off-Road, 2 10s, Exhaust, Intake, etc.) And i've been looking at some 05 g35s that i could get for 17ish that are really sick, and have 1k left over for some quick mods

Old 06-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
how would an 05 Tacoma be worth more than an 05 G35???

As to the issue about "convincing" your dad... you yourself said the Tacoma is "problematic" - what more convincing is needed?

Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Well by problematic its all little things but they just get to me since i pay attention to detail

Yeah i was a little suprised on the prices of the two vehicles, but the Tacoma has definitely retained it's value

Also my dad is a little concerned on the safety issue of having a car rather than a truck

Old 06-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Get a G, then debadge the names completely and replace the Mt. Fuji's with the Toyota emblem. They're very similar in size. I'm sure your Dad won't notice. (of course, you'll also have to remove the 75-80 Infiniti name/Mt. Fuji emblems inside the car)

EDIT: If he's looking for maximum reliability, then you've got a tough case arguing against Toyota/Lexus. Infiniti is very good, but probably only a solid #3 behind Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura.

Last edited by BuckeyeInMI; 06-07-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Ah, come on Dad! Toyota's your thing not mine!

Tell your Dad you need a little excitement in your life and the Toyota just doesn't do it. You're tired of driving a granny truck and need to move up to a quality coupe. If he's so worried about your safety maybe he should lock you up in your room, it not like you want to buy a motorcycle....Nissan's are safe well engineered vehicles....
Gary

Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
What Gary said. Be honest, tell him, you dont belong in the Tacoma, and you can get better gas mileage and be more comfertable in the G and that with the prices of the G's being so low that you can save a couple G's for a rainy day. Dont tell him its for mods.(so much about being honest. lol).

I just showed my mom the problems i have with my car, and now she is illing to buy me a new car but i have to save up money first.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Your situation is the same as my cousin's situation. His dad loves Toyota/Lexus because of reliability and my cousin wanted to get an Acura TL which is better than Toyota for sure. But his dad said no and bought him a Sequoia . And situation like this will most likely happen in Asian family . If you dont like the truck because it is prolematic and you are trying to get rid of it. Your dad will listen to you because older people are afraid of paying costs to fix cars even the costs are not big, but then 80% he will get you another Toyota/Lexus. Hmmm, IS is not bad, at least IS is like a sport Sedan, not like my cousin's sequoia.

Why dont you talk to your mom? Moms often listen to their sons and Dads often listen to their Daughters. Try to convince your mom, and let your mom convince your dad. That's what I did when I was trying to get my G . Good luck.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Most *** cars are winners. I've grown up around all foreign cars, most of which have seen better days, the best part is when you hit over 200k miles and the tin cans still run. They must feed their hampsters well in Japan. Anyway, the G is a great car, I love mine to death. The problems lies where you have to "convince" your father to let you have a fun to drive, lets get the ladies coupe or the family friendly sedan (really?!). My question is, are you paying for this or is dad paying for this?! If dad is paying for your truck or did pay for your truck, then by all means, you're probably only going to get what your dad wants! I'm assuming you arent old enough to buy a car on your own yet?! I'm not trying to discourage you from wanting your dream car by any means. I'm just saying that owning a nice car is sort of a right of passage. I went to college, graduated and worked for a year and a half before buying my car. I truly appreciate every nickle and dime that i put into affording my vehicle, its pampered for sure. If dad says you only get Toyota and dad's floating the bill, you're probably only going to get toyota. Just my 2 cents. BTW Lexus' arent that bad either!

Old 06-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol i'd go with nismoz he got a good point

Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
I had a problem where my dad wouldnt let me mod my car at all, but one day i said dad, ive got money saved up just for my car, what would you rather i spend my money on, drugs or my car and right then hes like you do have a good point and since then ive gotten a few mods done and im not done :]

BTW im only 17 so im geussing im around the same age as you

Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why not just have him go test drive a G with you? Maybe he'll fall in love with it after he drives it.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry man....Couldn't resist...lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tips for convincing Dad