The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Will plaster come off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will plaster come off?

So I was driving highway back home and it's 4 a.m. in the morning...
Passing another highway above me, I see something in the flash of the moment, next thing I know, I go through it, and the stuff pours on my car as I'm driving like 80mph.

After a mile or two, I pull over to see what it is. I'm about 2 hours away from home right now. I see that it is white paint-like stuff. It's pretty dark and I'm kind of tired, so I figure that I'll go home and wash it off first thing in the morning.

Morning: I wake up, go outside, inspect the car. the WHOLE front bumper is covered in thick white plaster. The underbody is covered with plaster. The mirrors, my windshield, my windshield wiper blades, and there's a thick line of plaster that covers like a racing stripe from the front all the way to the rear...The worst part of all this is that the plaster got into the wheel wells, in the bumper meshes, small crevices, between the headlights, between the trunk, and there are white dots EVERYWHERE on the car, the plaster even managed to get everywhere inside of the grille and into the engine bay.

After 5 hours of washing, claying, bug-tar-removing, detailing, washing, pressure-spraying, we get most of the plaster off. the paint will need a huge buff job again, the wheelwells need to get sprayed black?, undertray as well needs to sprayed with black paint cause no way in hell do i think i can take the plaster off there. needless to say, my car looks like complete horsesh*t, with white spits and spots everywhere, in every crack and small crevices, inside my windshield wipers. I had to get new blades cause there was no way i would be able to take off the plaster from them.

Does anyone have experience with plaster situations? It was impossible to remove, I removed most of it from my car, but I was wondering if the winter season/salt would remove the rest?

I will post pics as soon as I can...thanks for reading if you did

Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Holy *****... I don't even know what to say. For all the small areas I figured a power washer would work. GL getting the rest off. I'd say post this question in the DIY detailing section. There are some very serious professionals in that forum that may be able to help you out.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
+1 I would def post in the detailing section. There are a few really good detailers on their which could have some advice for you.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work with swimming pool plaster and we normally use muriatic acid to remove it from the tile and deck around the pool from the over spray. It is some nasty stuff. I wouldn't use the acid obviously but whatever you do use, will have to be some serious stuff!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Nobody is blown away by the fact that this **** blew off an overpass?

WTF?

Old 09-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Princess_Jen
Shouldnt have been lazy.. and should've washed and scrubbed the crap off right away when you got home.
2 hours away from home, 80 mph, by the time i came home it was already dried

Old 09-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some people just dont care

Old 09-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Princess_Jen
If that happened to me today driving home from work.. I wouldve been off the freeway at the next exit at the 1st gas station scrubbing my car w that windshield washer thing.. then home to do a full wash. I dont care that Im a girl at a gas station and its 3 in the morning.. not on my ride. Thats G <3. Idk how you fell asleep knowing what was all over your car.

I really hope you can get that crap off.
did not know it was plaster. thought it was paint. paint is 100x easier to get off, and it actualyl comes off...

Old 09-05-2009, 05:54 PM
these pics are after a week.

so my main question is basically: "Can this plaster come off naturally (i.e. winter/salt), or will I have to wash/detail/clay/spray/etc. all over again b/c the small dots keep appearing no matter what i do. and if so, is there any product out there that can 'defeat' plaster?

Last edited by brianyun; 09-05-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried filing a complaint with the municipality wherever this BS happened? I'm assuming there was some construction work going on?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
Have you tried filing a complaint with the municipality wherever this BS happened? I'm assuming there was some construction work going on?
x2 on that.

Are you sure it's plaster? Sounds more like it's concrete, which seems more feasible since it probably came from highway construction.. For this, you have a couple options, you can use vinegar straight, it should soften up the concrete/plaster enough for you to get it off the car, it's still not gonna be easy. You're going to have to let it soak in.

If that doesn't work, there's also a product called ZEP Concrete Remover that's sold at Home Depot that I heard works pretty well.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
I vote to file a complaint and get new paint

Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
W.a.f.m.....!

This is hindsight but I would have found the nearest do-it-yourself carwash and got it off before it dried regardless of how tired I was or how far from home! (that's just how I am) Now I'd turn it over to your insurance company because what you have is a major mess. That front bumper needs to come off just to get the plaster off behind it. Looks like you have quite an issue.... This is a nightmare!!
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will plaster come off?