G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Sportshift Mode isn't working...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sportshift Mode isn't working...

Hey All-

I've got a 2008 G35x that I had purchased new last November. Recently I'm noticing that when I'm shifting in "sportshift" mode that it sounds like there's a faint horn honk sound that emits from shift to shift. I'm not quite sure what it is as I'm not pressing on the horn and its only audible inside the car cabin. Just last week I can no longer shift into "sportshift" mode or "DS" mode. The car will only recognize "D" mode regardless if I move the shifter all the way to the left. I've contacted Infiniti and have an appointment with them in 2 weeks, but wanted to see if others are experiencing this issue?

The only downside is that the closest Infiniti location is in Sacramento, which happens to be about a 100 miles away. The service manager think he knows the problem and has heard of this similiar issue. He's gone ahead and ordered a new shifter as he thinks the connection between the computer and shifter is malfunctioning. Do you think is the case? I'm just afraid that it may be an actual transmission issue. It's difficult for me to make the commute to Sacramento as I can only get warranty work performed during the week, which means I have to take time off work to do it. The only work they do on weekends are oil changes.

If it happens to be a transmission issue then I'll have to leave the car there even longer for them to fix the issue, however, I need to venture back to Reno, NV to work and I believe warranty policies do not allow for out of state commutes. Just trying to gage and see if anyone else has had this issue so that I can provide some additional feedback to the service techs to expedite the process so that I'm not there all day while they try and figure out the issue.

Thanks for any help or feedback!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM
2008! Take that beech to the dealer PERIOD! Let them sort it out!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by OBG3506
2008! Take that beech to the dealer PERIOD! Let them sort it out!
Umm...that was already a given and that's why I have a schedule set in 2 weeks, but I was looking for some feedback to see if anyone has experienced a similiar issue and what were the results. I don't want to keep going back and forth to the dealership to perform a process of elimination before the thing gets fixed. I don't have enough days available to get the time off to travel that far.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
use the search function my man, you'll find lots of "stuck shifter"

Old 09-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy
use the search function my man, you'll find lots of "stuck shifter"
I have used the search function, but was not successful in finding a similiar issue. I'm very familiar with the search feature, but if you can find me one that references my issue, then please pass it along.

Also, I don't believe it's a "stuck shifter" issue. From time to time it does allow me to shift into "DS and Sportshift" mode, and while I'm in those modes, it automatically switches to "D" mode without me moving the shifter. I would think if it was a "stuck shifter" issue, then I wouldn't be able to shift it at all.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Sounds like something electronic.

But don't worry it's covered no matter what. Consider yourself lucky if the transmission is dead. You get a new one with 0kms on it.