The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G37 Airbags Deployed when hitting a pothole. Infiniti Consumer affairs is terrible.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Airbags Deployed when hitting a pothole. Infiniti Consumer affairs is terrible.

So a few weeks ago I hit a pothole in my 09 g37x coupe causing my airbags to deploy. I contacted Infiniti consumer affairs and thus far corporate has not done anything to help me with this defective vehicle. They hired an independent investigator to pull the impact data off the airbag module 2 weeks ago. Infiniti says they will decide in mid january whether or not they will repair vehicle. Also they will not help me get a loaner car from my dealer while I continue to wait for a decision. After spending 45k on a g37 I never expected customer service to be worse than mcdonalds. I will never ever buy an Infiniti again after dealing with Infiniti consumer affairs. Here is a link to the video of my car.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:14 AM
wow thats crazy they should definitely take responsibilty for that. unless the computer tells them you were doing some ridiculous speed... sucks your having such an issue with the consumer affairs they were cool with my and my OC issue. GL with this.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Wow that sucks.

A situation like that would end my ownership with a company as well.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Not surprised here. Infinti laughed at me straight in the face when I complained about the poor tread wear.

When I asked about the oil consumption issues, they look at me with a "scared look in their eyes" and then said, "we never heard of such a thing". LOL

Lies!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
were both your wheels damaged? sounds like either it was a big deep pot hole or someone was traveling pretty fast for your tire to blow and bend the wheel.

Last edited by pczavala; 12-30-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't you file a claim with your insurance and let them duke it out with Infiniti?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Only that one wheel got damaged. The other 3 wheels never touched anything. I really beleive that this is a defect espeically since the passanger side airbag deployed when I was alone in the vehicle. What angers me the most is the run around consumer affairs has given me. It should not take them more than a week to give me a clear answer. But they will take almost 2 months to give me an answer which is ridicoulas. I would file insurance but I feel like infiniti should give me an answer in a timely fashion first.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
To play devil's advocate here a bit.

Technically, you did have an accident. You clearly state the pothole was large enough to damage the wheel and destroy the tire....and obviously deploy the airbags. There might some fluke scenario where the angle the tire hits stops the car suddenly enough to deply. Entirely possible as the airbag system works on accelerometers. Any sudden decelleration will deploy..not just actual impact. It's what allows your airbags to not deploy as you plow through a telephone pole because you'll need them to deploy when you hit the brick wall behind it. It's prob why Infiniti wants to review impact data to see if any G's were sustained that would cause it to deploy.

Now, you were the only one there so only you know just how big enough this pothole actually was. Do you have pictures of the pothole?

I can see why Inifiniti might be hesitant to replace these and say you should put an insurance claim in. This isn't a clear-cut mechanical issue like OC. You even admit to damage to the wheel.

If this had happened to me, i would have claimed with insurance. Going to be VERY difficult to prove that the pothole was not severe enough to justify airbag deployment.

But i wasn't there, just speculating. I hope everything works out

Old 12-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^+1

what he said :P

Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where I live, if a pothole causes damage to your vehicle, the STATE will pay for any damages. The dealer will stay out of it.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Where I live, if a pothole causes damage to your vehicle, the STATE will pay for any damages. The dealer will stay out of it.
i was just about to say that, if it were my car i would definately notify the city and have them pay for my damages especially if i wasnt speeding and just driving like a normal person

Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Asking the city to pay for the damages is a waste of time. I tried to do the same thing 5 years ago in my S2k. 2am in the morning, driving on Lakewood Bvld, saw the pot hole at the very last minute, drove over it and slightly ding my passenger side rim.

Tire's look fine but there was a small ding on the lip of the rim. Went back the next day to take a pic of the pot hole and that thing was HUGE. It was about 6 inches deep and 1.5 - 2 foot in wide.

Got a estimate for the rim repair, filed a claim with the city and got a call saying my claim was denied. "They didn't know about the pot hole being there and I should have watched where I was going". Right when I file the claim, the pot hole was fixed... And I was out $180 for the rim repair.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM
I agree with the posts above. It takes a pretty decent size pothole and speeds above the posted speed limit to damage a wheel enough to require a spare. You mentioned emailing the CEO which I had to laugh at, sorry. You honestly think the CEO of a large automobile manufacturer is going to have time to read and respond to a claim like this? I highly doubt you even got through his email filter.

The best bet you have outside of insurance is to drive back to the pothole, put the damaged wheel and tire back on, and call the police to make a report. Take detailed pictures while the police are present and make sure to get a copy of the report. Take your car to an Infiniti dealer and have a complete inspection done. Take that quote, the police report, and the pictures and mail them to your local DOT or city government. It took me 2 years, but I received $2,000 for a bent motorcycle wheel this way. Typically the city will try to find out if anyone did construction in that area which resulted in a poor patch job and then pass the bill to them. If the city is at fault you just have to stay on their ***! In my case a contractor was at fault for road damage and they wrote me a check within 24 hours of the city contacting them.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:08 AM
if infiniti doesn't do anything for you, then go for the county or whoever owns the road... it's their responsibility to maintain them

Old 01-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
DA FUH ? thas trippy, you just probably got the defected one of 1000

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G37 Airbags Deployed when hitting a pothole. Infiniti Consumer affairs is terrible.