The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 vs bmw 335i coupe vs audi a5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
If money's important to you, get the G. Repair costs on ze Germans will kill you.
Can you give me couple of examples for the fvck of it?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Can you give me couple of examples for the fvck of it?
The G is old. No longer under warranty. Will be cheaper in the long run?

New motor for a G35 burning oil: 10k+
Compression rod/bushing: 190 each
Window motor: 180 each
Valve cover/plug seal: 200 each

Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 PM
compared to BMW parts..... which are astronomically higher?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
just curious where did you get this information from?

Handling is not significantly better in any car if we compare coupe vs coupe. Both have similar handling but a completely different feel. I have said it 100 times DO NOT CONFUSE THE WAY CAR FEELS WITH HANDLING!!!!

G35 breaks are actually better and will last you longer on a hard track session before they fade compared to the BMW.

What maintenance? Any car that goes to the dealer for maintanance work is going to cost you arm and a leg including the G35.

BMW is significantly faster than a stock G35 in straits...
As far as the fuel pump failures and overheating this comes from a bmw owner that I know of. Also if you check out e90 post.com, it is a widely known problem with the first models of the 335i.

I have driven a 335i, I also have an 06 325i myself with sport package, and I felt like the 335i and my 325i were better than the g35 in every aspect of handling. Again this is a G35 coupe comparison. I have not driven a G37 coupe, but OP wanted info on a G35.

The 335i had less body roll, faster cornering speeds, and felt much more planted. The G35 feels "looser". My 325i also felt better than the G35.

I felt the brakes on the G35 and my 350z (non-brembo) dont feel as strong, compared to the BMW's. With BMW you get a linear pedal feel and you have better modulation of the braking. Not ON/OFF like the g35(non-brembo) and my Z. As far as fade however, you are correct in that BMW brakes pushed hard will fade, but I wouldn't say faster than the G35's. I am not debating track aspects, that's another game.

Maintenance is more expensive on a BMW in every form, whether it be a brake job or an oil change. The labor rates are more expensive, even if you go to an independent that specializes in german cars
Also BMW are know to have electronic issues. My car under warranty had to have a sunroof motor replaced due to a malfunction motor and rain sensor. It was covered under warranty but the bill I saw was 750$. Labor rate at the BMW dealership was 150$/hr.

The independents are falling behind more and more with servicing the NEWER BMW's because the electronics are getting more complicated and the new equipment needed to service these cars are only available at the dealers.

Again this is IMHO, from owning a BMW and having driven a 335i and a g35 as well as my Z.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
335i are not THAT much faster (compared to the V36 G35/G37's). They just pull harder due to the torque they produce.
Plus, any turbo car will respond well to mods, an STi, Evo, GTR, etc will all respond the same way if not better. Anyhow, for the money you save from buying a G, stick a GTM 550BHP SC kit for $5K and you'll be way at the top.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by deep in her Z
As far as the fuel pump failures and overheating this comes from a bmw owner that I know of. Also if you check out e90 post.com, it is a widely known problem with the first models of the 335i.
Fuel pump and other known problems were taken care of by dealers/manufacturer within the first two years and unlike Nissan, BMW actually acknowledged that problem and added an oil cooler on their cars without charging the customer a dime. Nissan on the other hand tells its customers to fvck off eventhough u can't do a full track session with a "track ready nismo Z" without it overheating and going into a limp mode.

I have driven a 335i, I also have an 06 325i myself with sport package, and I felt like the 335i and my 325i were better than the g35 in every aspect of handling. Again this is a G35 coupe comparison. I have not driven a G37 coupe, but OP wanted info on a G35.

The 335i had less body roll, faster cornering speeds, and felt much more planted. The G35 feels "looser". My 325i also felt better than the G35.
As i said in my earlier posts. Do not confuse the "feel" of the car to its handling capabilities. The handling of both cars are so similar that a good driver will not pull away from the other in one car or the other. Yes the 335 does have the edge in handling in a very slight margin but you have to remember that the coupe comes with PS2 tires which are one of the best gripping street tires on the market. When it comes to constant pushing of both cars G35 will prevail eventually because its brakes will hold up longer when both cars are being raped. Overall BMW is a better built car therefor "feeling" tighter overall.

I felt the brakes on the G35 and my 350z (non-brembo) dont feel as strong, compared to the BMW's. With BMW you get a linear pedal feel and you have better modulation of the braking. Not ON/OFF like the g35(non-brembo) and my Z. As far as fade however, you are correct in that BMW brakes pushed hard will fade, but I wouldn't say faster than the G35's. I am not debating track aspects, that's another game.
The on/off feel is only noticable during calm street driving and it takes time to get used to. This "issue" goes out of the window as soon as the G35 is being driven hard because the pedal becomes very linear just like the BMW is when driving normal. FYI G constantly records shorter stopping distances than the BMW.

Maintenance is more expensive on a BMW in every form, whether it be a brake job or an oil change. The labor rates are more expensive, even if you go to an independent that specializes in german cars
Also BMW are know to have electronic issues. My car under warranty had to have a sunroof motor replaced due to a malfunction motor and rain sensor. It was covered under warranty but the bill I saw was 750$. Labor rate at the BMW dealership was 150$/hr.

The independents are falling behind more and more with servicing the NEWER BMW's because the electronics are getting more complicated and the new equipment needed to service these cars are only available at the dealers.

Again this is IMHO, from owning a BMW and having driven a 335i and a g35 as well as my Z.
I don't know where you take your nissan/bmw for service or any maintanance work but I don't go to a place where they specialize "GERMAN or NISSAN" or whatever the case may be. If you do enough research on both forums there a lots of knowledgable guys in your local forum section in for both cars that own a shop or do work from home that do an incredible job maintaining your car.

BTW I owned a 335 for year and half before my Z.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
335i are not THAT much faster (compared to the V36 G35/G37's). They just pull harder due to the torque they produce.
Plus, any turbo car will respond well to mods, an STi, Evo, GTR, etc will all respond the same way if not better. Anyhow, for the money you save from buying a G, stick a GTM 550BHP SC kit for $5K and you'll be way at the top.
You are correct V36 G35 sedan 6MT will give the stock 335 run for its money at speeds above 60mph, however we were talking about the first generation G.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Anyone who has driven in a BMW and then went inside a G35 will feel the difference right away. The BWM is SMOOTH and QUIET. Whereas the G35 will sounds like it about to fall apart if you drive over a crack. LOL

But I love the look of the G35. That's the only reason I still have the car. And that I overpaid for it and not willing to let it go just yet.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
You are correct V36 G35 sedan 6MT will give the stock 335 run for its money at speeds above 60mph, however we were talking about the first generation G.
oops i read the title without the thread haha
I don't think a V35 G should be compared with them. Not only because of the price, but the V35 was supposed to go against the E46 330i. The V35 coupe is fast and handles good but can't touch a 335i in a straight line without going forced induction IMO.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
oops i read the title without the thread haha
I don't think a V35 G should be compared with them. Not only because of the price, but the V35 was supposed to go against the E46 330i. The V35 coupe is fast and handles good but can't touch a 335i in a straight line without going forced induction IMO.
Oh yes it can. OCG35's car can, also my old G could. I wrote an extensive comparison when i first got my 335 over a year ago. Mine was far away from F/I.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned
Fuel pump and other known problems were taken care of by dealers/manufacturer within the first two years and unlike Nissan, BMW actually acknowledged that problem and added an oil cooler on their cars without charging the customer a dime. Nissan on the other hand tells its customers to fvck off eventhough u can't do a full track session with a "track ready nismo Z" without it overheating and going into a limp mode.

As i said in my earlier posts. Do not confuse the "feel" of the car to its handling capabilities. The handling of both cars are so similar that a good driver will not pull away from the other in one car or the other. Yes the 335 does have the edge in handling in a very slight margin but you have to remember that the coupe comes with PS2 tires which are one of the best gripping street tires on the market. When it comes to constant pushing of both cars G35 will prevail eventually because its brakes will hold up longer when both cars are being raped. Overall BMW is a better built car therefor "feeling" tighter overall.

The on/off feel is only noticable during calm street driving and it takes time to get used to. This "issue" goes out of the window as soon as the G35 is being driven hard because the pedal becomes very linear just like the BMW is when driving normal. FYI G constantly records shorter stopping distances than the BMW.

I don't know where you take your nissan/bmw for service or any maintanance work but I don't go to a place where they specialize "GERMAN or NISSAN" or whatever the case may be. If you do enough research on both forums there a lots of knowledgable guys in your local forum section in for both cars that own a shop or do work from home that do an incredible job maintaining your car.

Im not here debating better or worse. Im just giving my opinions because thats what OP wanted. Im not trying to turn this into a which car is better issue. Both have there advantages/disadvantages. Like you, thats why I own both a bmw and a Z.

As far as maintenance, Im not saying the BMW is in the shop every weekend. I wouldn't have bought one if that was the case. But the maintenance between BMW and nissan is no comparison. Maintenance is always more in the BMW. Oil changes, brakes, battery, parts etc...

Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Banned

Oh yes it can. OCG35's car can, also my old G could. I wrote an extensive comparison when i first got my 335 over a year ago. Mine was far away from F/I.
Did you go from a G to a Z?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:14 PM
2004-2008 G35 sedan 6MT
2008-2010 335 sedan autotragic
2010-current 370z

Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Anyone who has driven in a BMW and then went inside a G35 will feel the difference right away. The BWM is SMOOTH and QUIET. Whereas the G35 will sounds like it about to fall apart if you drive over a crack. LOL

But I love the look of the G35. That's the only reason I still have the car. And that I overpaid for it and not willing to let it go just yet.
Agree. Fit and finish, interiors, are nicer in the BMW. The whole car in general just feels more solid.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought BMW offered free maintenance of their cars for the first 4yrs or 50k miles- including oil changes brakes aven wiper blades....if something bigger than that should go wrong w/ the car isnt it covered under the manufacturers warranty also??
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs bmw 335i coupe vs audi a5