6MT's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:12 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by the_coupe
mines not loud. change your fluid out.
The noise mine makes is not a fluid issue, it is a linkage noise. Changing fluid would not help.....and I don't think it needs help.

626, I think what you're hearing is the clutch disengaging while there is still a little power (throttle) to the flywheel. In other words, it sounds like a timing issue.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
I get a tinny rattle in 1st and 2nd sometimes. Doesnt really matter to me, I dont think I can say I hate anything about this car, just a few things I notice but dont bother me like most people.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:11 AM
N80
I hate a lot of things about this car. The doors that won't stay open, seatblets that don't retract well (both common Nissan problems), the cheap plastic rattle trap interior, sorry radio, weird interior layout...the list goes on....

But, the looks, the engine and drivetrain, the performance all make it totally worth it. Mine is used with high mileage and it still makes me smile every time I get in it....even after a bad day at work and tons of traffic. I feel like the clutch and tranny issues are due to the car being set up for performance and when I'm doing everything right it just rocks. Most higher end things are like that. And when you master them you can see why they are like that.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
where is this clutch adjustment DIY?

Old 11-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
where is this clutch adjustment DIY?
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ent-point.html

Can anyone with a 6mt please help me figure out the following?
Accelerate semi aggresively then let go of the gas and clutch in (real fast). Does it make a metal clunking noise? It only happens sometimes, when but it does it sounds pretty scary like loose metal banging. Could it be my aftermarket clutch?

Old 11-06-2010, 10:07 AM
N80
Mine does this. I think any manual will do it if the conditions are right. Here's my take on it: its a timing issue.

Say the clutch is engaged fully against the flywheel. Normally you come off of the gas, which reduces the torque applied to the flywheel by the engine. Right as the torque is falling you depress the clutch pedal and it comes away cleanly and quietly. But let's say your timing is off and you depress the clutch pedal just a tiny bit too soon. When this happens you are pulling the clutch away from the flywheel before the torque has fallen to the nominal level required for a smooth shift. This causes a brief 'whip lash' ,for lack of a better term, to the clutch and thus the transmission which is the clunk that you hear.

Now, I'm not sure I'm right about this and I'm pretty sure I haven't explained it perfectly but I think that is what you are hearing.

I think the high release clutch pedal makes it easier for this to happen. It seems like the clutch pedal needs to go to the floor to disengage the clutch but it doesn't. It begins to disengage at the top of the pedal stroke. But if you are timing your release of the gas pedal with the clutch pedal going to the floor then you are still on the gas a bit when the clutch actually disengages. This is why a lot of people have trouble with the 6MT clutch and gearbox.

Could it be due to your aftermarket clutch? I don't know but it surely could depending on how agressively it is designed to enage and disengage.

But here is the thing. The OEM clutch pedal is set up this way for a reason (I would assume for sportiness). It disenages up high for rapid shifting. Try it. You have to make a conscious effort not to push it to the floor; probably less than half way down even. There is a sweet spot and it can be hard to get a feel for. But if you find it, you can shift really fast, and really smoothly especially at higher RPMs.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. And I for one wouldn't adjust my clutch pedal. I've had mine for a few months and I'm getting better and better at smooth, efficient shifting and I've come to appreciate the clutch pedal setting from a sporting point of view. If I wanted my car to shift like my old Mazda 323 then I'd have just gotten another 323.

Last edited by N80; 11-06-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by 626Gthirtyfive
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ent-point.html

Can anyone with a 6mt please help me figure out the following?
Accelerate semi aggresively then let go of the gas and clutch in (real fast). Does it make a metal clunking noise? It only happens sometimes, when but it does it sounds pretty scary like loose metal banging. Could it be my aftermarket clutch?
yes it does that, dont have to even try it, i think my bro's sc300 was like that too. perhaps we were used to fwd clutches?(just making an assumption because you feel less connected to the tranny)

I can't remember if my bro's 04 GTO was like that...i know its clutch was much easier to modulate then the G, but it also had the nasty problem where if u shifted hard twice, the third time the clutch wouldnt work anymore and u got locked out of gear at like 70mph..lol

Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
The 2007 G35 6MT has a slave cylinder recall.....

Why not the 06 and under?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
thats for the new model 07 sedan as it changed over to the built-in slave cylinder/release bearing style

Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 PM
N80
You're an Infiniti tech in SC? I'm in SC.....but I'm not an Infiniti tech.

You at a dealership or independent repair shop?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:47 PM
an infiniti tech would have to be at an infiniti dealer I would think

Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
lol he is correct........./\

Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 PM
N80
I know a guy who trained as a Mercedes tech but now owns his own shop. He calls himself a Mercedes tech. So I was just wondering.

Hope you're not at Lake Norman Infiniti.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good explanation n80. I've been trying to figure out that noise for a long time! Thanks for the peace of mind.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
What causes the shifter to shake and kick back during a gear change?? My car will shift smoother if I keep the shifter pushed into the gate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT's