The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Need Help FAST! Back wheels locked up and spun me out TWICE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes Need Help FAST! Back wheels locked up and spun me out TWICE!

Hey guys i have been looking through G35Driver for a WHILE now and just decided to join! This is a great community from what i can tell and i really look forward to getting to know everyone here.

I have a really big issue which i posted here http://forums.nicoclub.com/post5890426.html#p5890426 but i wanted to post it here too. I will copy my part out so you dont have to search the whole thread. If anyone has any clues it would be a big help! I have already paid the dealer to fix this issue last year and now its back. $2k and they had my car a month now they want to keep it again and run more diagnostics ...

Copied from another post i made

"OK so i just had this same problem ... AGAIN! I bought my car used last year in November and had this exact experience happen to me. I was getting on an on ramp from a dead stop at a stop light and my car started spinning out of control maybe going 25MPH. Luckily I slid into the grass and hit a hole so i only blew out my tire and no one was hurt. I took it to the dealer and they kept it for almost a MONTH~! gave it back and said my pads were worn out (3mm rear 5mm front) OK $2k and i'm safe right???? WRONG! Since then i have been religious with my brake inspections. I have it on record with the same dealer that my pads were 5mm rear and 9mm front on 11/3/2010 so that can not be the issue. I had them check it when i had them install a whole new set of tires all 4 brand new. link to brand and type at bottom.

Last night 11/29/10 i was coming home and came to a stop light. Slowed down for the red but it turned green before a complete stop. About 50-60 feet down the road is a slight left hand turn. My back end came around for about a half second while in the turn and then the car SNAPPED back to being straight no slip light no nothing. me and my buddy laughed and continue to drive to our house which was less than a mile away. Right before my house there is a turn off camber and to the right. In the middle of this turn i had the same experience but this time it never let go. The back tires locked up with no brakes applied. This is the same experience i had described to the dealer last year when i bought the car but there was no evidence. How do i know it happened this time you may ask... the cars behind me stopped and told me! "Dude your back tires just stopped spinning and like half way around your brake lights came on" Slid across 2 lanes of on-coming traffic backwards, hit embankment (i was going so "fast" that that hitting a flat mud wall didn't ding or scratch my cars body panel even the tail lights are still together) and then ended up destroying my right rear wheel/tire on a curb. My suspension is completely screwed. Bent a ton of stuff and thats was just what i could see last night with a flashlight. Wheel and BRAND NEW TIRE (11/3/2010) are ruined. A chunk between two spokes was knocked out when i hit the curb. And the crazy thing is the Ford Explorer behind me made it through the same turn at the same speed no problems. Stopped and came and helped me push my car. So what's going on?? Anyone else having this happen even on different wheels/smaller scale? I am almost scared to drive the car in turns now!

I fell in love with this car the day i saw the concept vehicle ... i guess like all true loves it will find a way to burn you LOL jk jk

Here is a link to the tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP "

Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Sounds like an issue that i would bring up with the dealership and then go from there since they supposedly fixed it. Cant hurt to try and get them to cover it or try infiniti itself if the dealer doesnt want to help any.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:05 PM
That was my first thought too. They said they warranty their work and parts for 12 months when i had it done but somehow now 10 almost 11 months later i am out of their warranty period ... go figure. They want me to send my car to them and get it worked on again but i cant afford to pay another $2k just for them to say it is the brakes and give it back to me. I had thought about calling Infiniti but have no idea where to start there. Thanks for the thoughts project!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Before we do anything, do you have an aftermarket sway bar or a strut bar?

Someone had an issue a bit ago and got to many pages about him spinning out very easily on turns and his sway/strut (one of those) was installed upside down!

Lets just say we never heard from him again.

Edit: finished reading post- Oh so your wheels actually lock up weird.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM
No after market parts that i know of i did buy the car used but when i asked the previous owner he reported it as "bone stock".

It is the strangest feeling when your backend goes from being glued to the ground like normal to sliding like only your rear end is on ice! lol I have always wanted to learn how to drift but it would be nice if i could choose when!

Besides this issue though i absolutely LOVE this car. Always have and probably always will.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 PM
that is wierd! did you engine stay running the whole time? the only thing i can think of would be something locking up in the differential... the brake lights halfway through the turn is what i dont understand...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Sounds like a dealer problem. ABS/traction control system is freaking out is my guess. Not sure if the brake goes on when the abs/traction control system comes online though. You could try running an OBDII diagnostic. You have any check engine lights on or any warning lights blinking?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
The differential is what i was thinking with gears locking. Noway would worn brakes lock your wheels they would actually not stop if they were worn down.

You can look up the information on google for contacting infiniti claims department. If the dealership said they fixed it thats on them not you to pay again.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like somethings up with the VDC

Is there a way to replace that?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
def weird. never heard of that. so you're rear wheels just lock up like u jammed on the ebrake? i would look into a vdc issue. and i wouldnt pay for **** since they dropped money already on...what did they fix previously??? and its still doing it. if they give you any hassle, go thru consumer affairs about that. thats bullshyt and def dangerous. and brake pad thickeness wont mess with your vdc operation.
secondly, if its not the brakes...then obviously look into your diff. fluid been serviced before? drain and check for any metal/pieces/debris inside.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
agree, sounds like abs locking up the rear calipers, or vdc locking the diff, either of which will spin you out, and in my opinion should be checked with a dealership or Infiniti would have a lawsuit from me...

Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Hey guys sorry for the delay in response I had some family issues come up yesterday which kept me away from the forum

The first time it happened (12/2009) the engine did cut off but this time it did not. The "VDC OFF" light was on and that was it. Ohh and the brakes lights came on half way through the tail spin because thats when I started to press them lol That the scary part the wheels locked up and i wasn't on the gas or the breaks!

I never thought to check the Diff. I had it in for a complete check about 3 months back and they did go through all the fluids including the trans but all looked normal. The last time i was in the shop (11/3/2010) i had them check a squeaking noise when i accelerate, which they contributed to rust on the axles. They also said "this is normal on these cars and completely safe to drive with" none of which i remembered until right now

The dealer keeps trying to get me to give them my insurance info so "we can get this started" but I'm not budging or falling for that trap. They said the damage was too extensive to be handled in the shop so they sent it to their collision center. I have filed an official complaint with Infiniti Corporate and was suppose to hear back from them Yesterday which I didn't, and when I called today i was told by end of business day today. If this doesn't start moving I may have to get consumer affairs and the BBB involved just to give me some leverage.

It seemed odd to me that low brake fluid and worn pads would cause it to lock up. In my mind i was like low fluid = low hydrolic pressure, and low pads = poor grip so how does that even make sense that it would lock up my tires ... BUT i gave the techs the benefit of the doubt and figured they knew the systems better than me.

Day 3 of no progress here is rooting for day 4 to bring some change!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
in for later results.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
as i said. low fluid wont cause that. no fluid/air in the system wont lock it up for sure. low pads wont do shyt but make noise when you hit the squealers or get down to the metal. im an infiniti tech and im tellin you that wouldnt cause it to lock up. you got somethin weird goin on......there were no codes in the abs system??

Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I agree. Low fluid or pads isn't going to cause a lock up.

What size tires are you running? Do you have a gross mismatch in size?

What makes you think your rear wheels are locking? Can you really trust a guy driving behind you to accurately judge when your wheels stopped turning when you went into the spin?

The only accounts I have of differentials locking up usually result in the diff being locked up after the spin as well and unable to drive off because the rear is locked.

I find it strange that the vdc is locking up your rear wheels....unless it thinks they are spinning. Any warning lights in the dash on? Abs vdc?I would assume no since the dealer would see this

How good are these tires? Are they grippy?

This is an odd issue

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help FAST! Back wheels locked up and spun me out TWICE!