G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Low tire pressure.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Low tire pressure.

I got a used high mileage 06 6MT coupe about 4 months ago. After having it home for a few days the TPMS light went on. Checked tires, all a little low. Filled them all to 35 pounds as recommended. TPMS light went off.

This morning the TPMS light came back on again. Checked the tires, all exactly 28 pounds cold. It was the coldest morning so far this year but still just 28 degrees.

The 33" tires on my F150 NEVER need air. I check them frequently because I pull a 2 horse trailer a lot and they are always spot on.

Is there something about these low profile tires? Is there something about the 19" Rays or the Kumho SPTs that cause them to lose air? I could understand if I found one tire low. Would figure there was a leak or a puncture. But for all four tires to lose the same amount of air...what's up with that?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 AM
N80
After airing them back up I think I may have an idea about what the problem might be. I may be totally wrong about this but I think it is the low total volume of air inside these low profile tires. In other words, because the volume is so low it only takes a small amount of lost air to decrease the pressure significantly. In my truck tires, the volume is very high by comparison so the same amount (volume) of leakage or loss would have very little effect on the air pressure. Just a thought....it might be full of holes.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
I gotta put air in my tires a couple times a year.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
This is a little strange, the TP sensors do come on at 29 lbs as you're aware. If all four tires have the exact reading when the sensor sounds, check your tires pressure gage or better yet get a new one. It's impossible for all four tires to go from 35 lbs to 29 equally. I check my tire pressure every time I change oil, good habit to get into....
Gary

Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TPS comes on frequently when it's cold out. Now that the G is no longer garaged, it's become much more frequent.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 AM
N80
I thought about the tire pressure gauge. It is new and its one of those digital ones. And all four of them weren't at exactly at 28 (which is what I said but was not exactly accurate). They did range from 27.5 to 28.5, but that's still pretty close and still pretty strange.

I have had a really hard time finding decent tire gauges. As far as I can tell you can't find a good stick type gauge anymore. I've had more than one of the stick type gauges be waaaaay off base and create dangerous conditions with my tractor tires. I have a really nice one built into my air compressor tire chuck.....but for some reason it is apparently for super high pressure applications and is in tiny increments of 5 pounds from zero to 150 so for 35-60 pound applications it is almost impossible to be accurate.

I've got two digital gauges and they seem consistent.

I also no longer have a garage and it really sucks. Just found two tiny dimples in my hood from pecans falling. Glad I bought this sucker well used or it would be chainsaw time.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My light is always coming on. I have checked my tires and with my Low profile tires they take 50 lbs. My light just goes on and goes off. I can check the tires and they are all fine still. No reason why it comes on but it does. I figured mine was because I have aftermarket wheels on there. So I try to check mine when I change the oil. Plus now with it being as cold as it is they might change once or twice depending on the weather. Here in AL one week its warm and the next its snowing so you never know and that affects them as well.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I change my tire last week and it tells I have low tires but i want tire shop it's good so I think I going to take itxto Infiniti to change the tire pressure gagues

Old 12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
My Tpms comes on everytime I drive for distances that exceed 40min of speeds from 70-80mph I was told by Riverside Infiniti this was normal?...It usually turns off when I let the tires cool must be the flucutation in pressure from the tires being hot..

Old 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by scrapiron7
My TPS comes on frequently when it's cold out. Now that the G is no longer garaged, it's become much more frequent.
Same with mine, and my sisters sonata.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by curryboyy
My Tpms comes on everytime I drive for distances that exceed 40min of speeds from 70-80mph I was told by Riverside Infiniti this was normal?...It usually turns off when I let the tires cool must be the flucutation in pressure from the tires being hot..
they are wrong... the light comes on like that when you have a bad sensor, missing sensor or your sensors are not in the programmed locations.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:38 PM
N80
Originally Posted by Kuneff
they are wrong... the light comes on like that when you have a bad sensor, missing sensor or your sensors are not in the programmed locations.
I agree. That was not cool for them to tell you that. Seems like that's a common trend these days: Hey, my doors fall off when I turn left. Oh, don't worry about that, its normal for this model.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I verified my pencil type tire gage with my tire shops and it's dead nuts. Try 37 PSI (cold) and check it when doing oil changes. Also check those little valves in your TPMS that they aren't leaking and use valve stem caps.
Gary

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
get a GOOD tire gauge. fill your tires to 38psi COLD....thats what i set every car to in the shop. if the light comes on solid, its a low pressure deal. if the light is flashing, then you have a sensor issue. tires will drop a few psi every few months, so make it a habit to set your pressures along with topping off all fluids as needed during every oil change. and im NOT using my tpms in my 20s and after straight hwy driving of 30-40 min my light will come on. and turn off once i shut the car off. its normal cuz the bcm has no input from the missing sensors lol

Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuneff
Well I just transferred over my tpms to my new wheels with a rebuild kit installed so hopefully that took care of that problem. Thanks for the input

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low tire pressure.