Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^+100000

Old 12-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
I agree homie!! Just build your motor and turbo or sc and u wont give a **** about having or not having a sunroof.. when u stomp on it and u are pinned in your seat your not gonna be saying damn this is great but I wish I didn't have that sunroof.. haha!!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
couldn't OP just find a sunroof-less g35 roof and swap it out? (personally i love the sunfroof, this is more curiosity because now ive read the whole thread lol)

Old 12-13-2010, 06:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Lol.. then you come back with insults about the very owners and enthusiasts you are looking for feedback from. Get out of here, noob. You've been here since '08 and just came up with this brilliant plan? You should know by now there is every kind of 'enthusiast' on this site- from stripped drift cars, to 800whp beasts, to autox's, to magazine cars. The information is here. The talent to make it happen is here. And the know-how, technical and dynamics of it, are here. You asked this question barely 24 hours ago and are expecting an epiphany or break through to have already appeared before you eyes? It's not going to happen, not unless it's something that has been discussed 200 times before.

Your question isn't difficult, it's not rocket science. I think 99% of the people here (1% being socalwdup - lol jk brotha) understand the concept and some even have a glimpse of how to make it happen. You make assumptions of why no one here has thought of this "brilliant" plan... they have. The thing is by the time they get the interior stripped, or the turbo on, the built engine, the suspension dialed in, and all the other mechanics worked out they look at the sunroof and say, "Meh.. it's not as big of a deal as I thought" because by that time they have achieved what they wanted to do without this 'mod'. Everything working in their favor to participate in whatever is they want (show, drag, drift, etc).

If you want to make this happen. Make it happen. Take the initiative. Don't post up something, expect a solution within a day and then magically have some kit appear before you and slap you on the *** so you can swap it onto your car. Being a smart *** isn't going to get you very far in life and sure as hell isn't going to get you any help on this forum. My suggestion? Man up, quit whining, do your research - whether that be gathered from here, the M3 forums, or where ever else - and then come back and collaborate with us.
I apologize if I came off as insulting or unappreciative of the knowledge that I have gained by being on G driver. I was more venting my frustration at a lot of the stock answers give to threads on this forum, but you are right sir. I do not mean to group the entire body of enthusiasts into one catagory, and doing so would only be ignorant of me. There are many amazing builds and owners here as well. In any case, I wasn't looking for a direct answer, just seeing what information is out there and if anyone had done something similar in the past. I guess I'll keep looking and see if I can find any more relevant issues on cost and practicality.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 AM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
You can buy the roof skin and roof brace from the non-sunroof model from the dealer, pull all your glass, pull out the sunroof glass and brackets, brace everything up, cut your roof with the sunroof out, weld in the non-sunroof roof, add the new roof brace, and then put all your glass back in. IMO, that will give you the cleanest result.

I was looking into it since next year I have to remove the sunroof since the 2 racing series that I plan on racing in both changed the rules for 2011, and now require the sunroof to be plugged. I think rather than go through all the work of replacing the entire skin, or plugging with a carbon fiber cap (which is not safe unless you have a cage btw), I'm going to be forming and fitting a piece of sheet metal to close it off. It won't be perfect, but it'll be clean, simple, and functional since the car will be caged and limited to the track next year.

The more money you throw at it , the cleaner it will come out... if it's a track car, it doesn't need to be show quality. Honestly, if the car isn't seeing heavy track use, I think the money could be put to better use. My car is completely gutted, I don't even have controls to use the sunroof, and it's still in the car. The only reason I'm taking it out is because I have to, otherwise I'd probably leave it till later.

Here's the K&N G35 plug... looks like carbon fiber with a cheap aluminum frame. Would be very unsafe in a rollover on a car without a full cage.

Last edited by zackt69; 12-13-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
You do realize you do not drive a race car right?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by dcryan90
yep sure do....
No sun roof here
id say it may make a difference becuase i noticed a little more push in mine then those with all the heavy options i bought mine strictly for speed not luxury so i didnt get options to weigh it down

and white with a sunroof is awful to me so yea there are a select few out there without sunroofs but you can find them
Then you bought the wrong car.

I am also very curious how your clear corners and gialla grill have helped you with you obvious need for speed. Also some insight on how your volks, which actually weight MORE than OEM 19s, have helped with your performance.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 12-13-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dcryan90
yep sure do....
No sun roof here
id say it may make a difference becuase i noticed a little more push in mine then those with all the heavy options i bought mine strictly for speed not luxury so i didnt get options to weigh it down

and white with a sunroof is awful to me so yea there are a select few out there without sunroofs but you can find them

If you bought your car strictly for speed, why did you buy a G?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not everyone can afford to just sell there car and go grab one with or without something. For the most part you would lose more money doing that anyway due to the fact that these cars don't hold very much positive equity if you have a loan on them.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
The sunroof delete is a dumb idea unless you are making a total track car. If the sunroof is making noise clean everything with WD40 that should fix the issue.
Gary

Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ That was a little rough gary. It may be dumb to you but not to him.

Either way man, go for it if thats what you want to do. Its your car! I personally think a CF sunroof delete is not worth the trouble and i dont think it would look good unless the whole roof was CF. my 2 Cents

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete