The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Some Information Please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Information Please?

( 2008 G35x )Hey guys i have done some searching and cant find anything thats exact. i am wanting to put the leds in my dome light but im having trouble finding a part number and the actual installation. (not sure how to get to it).

ALSO: i work at autozone and dont need anything done to my car as of yet (brake pads, Rotors, etc) but there isnt a listing for anything 2008 g35x but there is listings for 2007 g35x arent they the same car part for part?

LAST: im looking to tint or cover the tail lights, ive heard some of you mention i think its bluebat* covers or something? we sell a tint spray for tail lights but im kinda weary of using it. what do you all recommend?

Any help is appreciated!

Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
As for the actual installation. Can you take pics of the dome light? If its like most cars, there's a little gap in the cover that you can put a flathead screwdriver into and pop out.

Like this.

https://g35driver.com/forums/4202710-post5.html

Old 12-28-2010, 11:45 PM
If the spray is NHT NiteShades, then that is what I have been using for a while on multiple cars. It looks great by itself, but a couple of clearcoats is needed after you spray the light for the paint to not fade. Also, with the spray on tint, it has a blue hue to it, so if you do a light coat over clear (as in the reverse portion of the taillight), it will look blue.

Only complaints about NHT NiteShades:

1. Blue hue when there is only a light coat
2. Wears off after a while without a clear coat sprayed after the tint spray

I tinted my sidemarkers using a little bit from a roll of taillight tint (film with an adhesive that is much, much thicker than window tint) with some success. My first car, I had a professional tint guy install overlays on my first car (anyone familiar with the W163- Mercedes ML320 98-01 body style). The tail lights had indentations in them (concave) which, made it extremely difficult to get the tint to stay (the thickness of the tint did not help) and it bubbled rather quickly.

As I mentioned earlier, I wrapped my sidemarker lights on my G and was not completely satisfied. The sidemarkers have raised letters, which makes the tint bubble partially around each letter. Otherwise, the overlay is excellent.

Downsides on overlay:

1. Difficult to apply to concave taillights (see 2006-7 G35 Coupes)
2. If done over raised lettering, there WILL be bubbles.

Overall, I prefer overlays due to the durability and functionality of them. Like window tint, if the taillight breaks into pieces, they will all be attached to one another via the overlay! Also, they last longer given the adhesive does not deteriorate. Using the NHT NiteShades is an easy alternative to tinting taillights, especially those that are concave or have raised lettering.

I would recommend using NHT Niteshades, what I believe is what you are talking about when you mentioned the spray-on tint offered at the store in which you work, followed by a couple coats of clear afterwards.

If you do choose to use the spray tint, I would recommend that for a glossy finish, you should spray thick, even coats. In order to create a matte finish, spray thin, even coats. Do not forget to finish with a nice clear coat!

Just my $.02.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
the NHT Night shade tints dont come off do they? so if i spray my tails they are stuck like that?

As for the LED's alot of the vendors here sell LEDs and they are straight plug and play just tell them you are looking for the dome lights in a 08 g35. just pop off the plastic cover with a screw driver and then take out the old bulbs and put in the LEDS.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:54 PM
They do come off! You can use paint thinner or a safer alternative, Graffiti and Spray Paint Remover, available to you at your local Lowes.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
ohhh good news might look into it

they the same thing as the VHT right? and will it still come off even after putting the clear coat on?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I know the NHT Niteshades will come off using both of the products I mentioned. Not sure about the clear coat... paint thinner should take that off no problem.