The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Oil catch cans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for thread jacking but in but are catch cans that important?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Condition

Nope! Just mainly for the looks. There's an easy DIY on how to make your own from some stuff that you can get from Home Depot. Probably end up spending like $20 or less on it. It won't look nice like you won't really notice it, but it'll get the job done.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by prinny
Nope! Just mainly for looks. There's an easy DIY on how to make your own from some stuff that you can get from Home Depot. Probably end up spending like $20 or less on it. It won't look nice like you won't really notice it, but it'll get the job done.
Prinny....first you say they're just for looks and at the end you mention that the HD filter will get the job done....what's with that? They're not just for looks, they collect oil that would other wise end up in your plenum. I used the HD catch can until I could find one that fits and they all serve a purpose.
Gary

Old 05-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Condition
In a naturally aspirated car, no, not really. Some catch cans are even harmful, like the ones which are open to air with a filter on top, since they create a path for moisture to make it into oil, and once the filter gets dirty, they spew oil over the inside of the engine bay and they also prevent vacuum in the PVC exhaust, which is often necessary.

Gases build up in the crank case, and in the past, cars used to vent them to air. These gases come from blowby in the cylinders, stuff evaporating from hot oil, etc. So, in modern engines, these gases are put back into the intake to be burned, but a little bit of oil occasionally makes it in there. If you have forced induction, or an intercooler, this oil can make a mess and it can reduce the octane rating of the fuel by mixing it with oil in the intake. So, catch cans address this problem by giving an expansion chamber for oil to condense so it doesn't make it into the intake.

The open air catch cans with a filter prevent all oil from getting into the intake, at the cost of requiring constant oil changes. They're great for track-only cars, suck for street cars.

The closed cans which feed back into the intake remove most of the oil, but not all of it, but they're safe to use on the street.

If you don't track and don't have forced induction, you don't need a catch can. Hope that helps.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Prinny....first you say they're just for looks and at the end you mention that the HD filter will get the job done....what's with that? They're not just for looks, they collect oil that would other wise end up in your plenum. I used the HD catch can until I could find one that fits and they all serve a purpose.
Gary

I should of phrased that better lol. I wasn't that sober last night, but G35driver and replying to threads are one of the things that I usually do before I go to sleep and all

But anywayss.. what I meant was that.. you don't NEED it. Like Gary said it does serve a purpose, but it's not that big of a problem if you don't have one. If you're worried about oil getting into the top plenum then you could make a cheap simple one from HD and it would have the same effect as much more costly one elsewhere. All those awesome looking catch cans are cool, but kind of unnecessary.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im heading over to pep boys now.. anyone know off hand what the hose size is? (not length ill take care of that lol)

Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just grabbed 10ft of 3/8" fuel line hose its 3.4 bar so it should hold up to boost. not as fancy as some of the other ss stuff but as long as it works

Old 05-02-2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the explanation guys, I really appreciate it

Old 05-02-2011, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by aBLUEg35
i just grabbed 10ft of 3/8" fuel line hose its 3.4 bar so it should hold up to boost. not as fancy as some of the other ss stuff but as long as it works

Hmmm. I think I grabbed the smaller one that they had. The 5/16 or something.. I forgot

Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by prinny
But anyways.. what I meant was that.. you don't NEED it. Like Gary said it does serve a purpose, but it's not that big a problem if you don't have one. All those awesome looking catch cans are cool, but kind of unnecessary.
Prinny it is a problem if you have OCD about your engine, how it runs and for how long. That's kinda like Nissan's design of their plenum in the first gen VQ motors, the spacer isn't needed but it's sure way better with it!
Gary

Old 05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Prinny it is a problem if you have OCD about your engine, how it runs and for how long. That's kinda like Nissan's design of their plenum in the first gen VQ motors, the spacer isn't needed but it's sure way better with it!
Gary

haha I suppose I can't argue with that.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Thought I'd post an alternative using a Simota catch can for anyone lookng for an upright mounting location. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. So far it's worked out well.

https://g35driver.com/forums/5816103-post7.html

Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the benefit and purpose of having a Oil catch can?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by show2nite
What is the benefit and purpose of having a Oil catch can?

Read the previous posts

Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
fuuuuuuuuuu^^

beat me to it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil catch cans