The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

LED license plate lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LED license plate lights?

I installed some blue LEDs for my license plate last week. They look nice but when I think about it now it seems like the police will have a problem with it. I know your not supposed to have red/blue lights on the front of the car but is it the same for the back. Anyone have problems getting pulled over for them?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
probly depends on state. If you're in Cali or Illinois like me, they have issues with everything. If you're in Florida, you can do just about anything. generally, though, red is as bad color, because of the brakelights

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The cops here bully me because I am young I think. First I had to remove my window tint, then get new tail lights because I tinted them out. I have LEDs over my plate and they can't do anything to me. If they could,they would. But they are legal where I live. I have no idea what the rules are in any of the states for LEDs. Mine are legal here in Canada. Sorry I can't help man. Good luck. They look awesome hey? Did you replace your inside lights as well?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rizzuh
I installed some blue LEDs for my license plate last week. They look nice but when I think about it now it seems like the police will have a problem with it. I know your not supposed to have red/blue lights on the front of the car but is it the same for the back. Anyone have problems getting pulled over for them?
More than likely you'll be pulled over. Is having a "cool" color license plate light worth getting ticketed/fined over? Just do a white and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by xXThirty-FiveXx
The cops here bully me because I am young I think. First I had to remove my window tint, then get new tail lights because I tinted them out. I have LEDs over my plate and they can't do anything to me. If they could,they would. But they are legal where I live. I have no idea what the rules are in any of the states for LEDs. Mine are legal here in Canada. Sorry I can't help man. Good luck. They look awesome hey? Did you replace your inside lights as well?
Bully you because you're young..yet you go on to describe having illegal window tint and illegal taillights. Right...I'm sure it's just because you're young.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Haha what did you expect man? I wouldn't do any tail light tint or non white or halogen license plate light.

I have illegal tint and i have never been hassled for it. Everyone i know with tinted tail lights and colored lights have been pulled over and ticketed.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
White Led's FTW!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
+1 on that. I think white is the safest color to have.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Having Blue or Red lights on your car is bad period. And will Draw Police attention

Some of my friends with 8ks get stopped for being too blue in FL.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
yeah^^^ texas is pretty straight, they dont pull too many ppl over here, my buddy has blue halos on his camaro...looks retarded lol. Just go with white man, i dont understand the colors i guess..

Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Go with white and save yourself the trouble.

I had blue LEDs and put them in my license plate just to see what they'd look like and they looked amazing/1000x better than boring white, but didn't wanna take the risk.

Stupid cops! They get all the fun (and nice colors!).

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
ive got bright reds on my license plate for several months here in pittsburgh, cops dont seem to care, sometimes they follow behind me for a bit, i guess to see if i try to escape or anything lol, but have never pulled me over in this car yet. got 35% tint too, but theyre mad chill here
i am gonna get white soon though just cuz i got bored of red i think, red looks pretty sick though, matches tails

Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by wsolo08
ive got bright reds on my license plate for several months here in pittsburgh, cops dont seem to care, sometimes they follow behind me for a bit, i guess to see if i try to escape or anything lol, but have never pulled me over in this car yet. got 35% tint too, but theyre mad chill here
i am gonna get white soon though just cuz i got bored of red i think, red looks pretty sick though, matches tails
I'm not quite sure if red would be considered illegal if it's placed in the rear. I figure since taillights are red...it might be okay. Maybe as long as they're not facing forward? Not too sure

Blue, period, should never ever be on your car.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
I agree, they just kinda look like an extra set of tails almost so I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with it lol, but as far as blue goes, the only place it can go imo is interior, people in my car hate trying to read something or see something cause its so blue ha too bad lol

I've wondered for a while if 10000k and up heads are illegal since there colored?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Ever since 370z guys have been doing the rear fog lamp mod, I've been curious if it would be illegal for red in the license plate.

As far as headlights, if you go by the books, I think that ANY type of alteration of the headlight is illegal, technically. It's up to the officer's discretion. What I've seen though is cops don't really care as long as your headlights aren't aimed so far up that they're blinding people.

But, things like this isn't a worry for me since I run white lights anyway. Looks better, less of a hassle, more functional. Why go through the trouble?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
If you're using a little common sense we don't want to do anything that will give the cops a reason/excuse to pull us over. I don't get why members want their rides lit up like Christmas trees? Clean & Shiny is my thing....
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED license plate lights?