The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

ATTESA Transfer Case Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTESA Transfer Case Question

I have an 06 x and I recently had some issues driving in the snow. While it was generally pretty good, I got temporarily stuck on an inclined snow-covered driveway. It was a situation where the rear wheels had dug out little trenches for themselves and had essentially zero traction (and before someone asks, I have mud+snow tires). The odd thing is that even though I had snow-mode on, at one point only my rear wheels were spinning (a friend was watching from outside).

I was initially worried that my AWD system was broken, but I'm wondering if this is just a design limitation of the ATTESA system. The central transfer case locks the torque split at 50/50 in snow mode, but that isn't the same thing as locking the differential in a conventional 4x4 (which forces the wheels to turn together as if on a solid axle). With a torque splitter, it seems plausible that the torque sent to the front would be limited by the torque sent to the back - and if the rear wheels have _no_ traction then they might not be able to absorb any meaningful torque. Now I don't understand the system well enough to say for sure, but it certainly seems plausible.

Could someone who actually understands the transfer-case design (NOTE: someone *who actually knows something* only please) weigh in on this? Is it designed to send power to the front even if the rear has _zero_ traction? Do I need to get my AWD serviced or is this behavior within the design specs? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello? Anyone know the answer to this?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant explane how the system work but with mine never got stuck and living in montreal canada.

When im almost stuck in deep heavy snow i put vdc off and it goes.

Your vdc must be off snow mode or not.