The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Got a ticket for having a loud exhaust tonight..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a ticket for having a loud exhaust tonight..

Only thing is, I have a 100% stock exhaust. Has anyone ever been harassed by your local police over something like this? This is honestly very irritating as within a 5 mile radius there's two other G coupes (03 and 04), the 03 having straight pipes all the way back and the 04 having a stillen, both louder than my car. Do they need to have a decibel reading on my exhaust before they can write a ticket or something? Kinda like how they can't go "Oh you looked like you were speeding, so here's a ticket for a 60 in a 55."

Just curious. I plan on contesting this, as I'm one of those guys who has a perfect motor vehicle record and no other types of tickets.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Take it to court man, in some states they have a fix it and we will reduce it kind of system, but I have actually been pulled over here in Georgia for my exhaust a few times but I never got a ticket it was more of a warning good luck with the ticket

Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Definitely go to court. Bring it to the dealership ASAP for confirmation that it's a stock exhaust and have them submit a signed letter to bring with you for starters. Get one of them to come to court with you if at all possible.

Edit: Second option at the dealership is to have them put it up on the lift and bring you in to the bay. Take a video of the underside of the car and have them say on the video that it's all stock. Your cellphone would probably suffice.

Last edited by OBsessed; 01-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Saboture
Only thing is, I have a 100% stock exhaust. Has anyone ever been harassed by your local police over something like this? This is honestly very irritating as within a 5 mile radius there's two other G coupes (03 and 04), the 03 having straight pipes all the way back and the 04 having a stillen, both louder than my car. Do they need to have a decibel reading on my exhaust before they can write a ticket or something? Kinda like how they can't go "Oh you looked like you were speeding, so here's a ticket for a 60 in a 55."

Just curious. I plan on contesting this, as I'm one of those guys who has a perfect motor vehicle record and no other types of tickets.
I believe it can't be over 95db. You have to take it to the DMV or whatever places you go to to get your car state inspected and have them read the sound output. As long as its less than the state noise level your fine. I had this happen to me before. Keep that paper to.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
No worries, going to court is a waste of your time! Have your car inspected letting them know your exhaust is factory stock and doesn't exceed the state db levels. They should just write it off, knowing the cop was stupid for giving you the ticket....Gary

Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the ideas.I'll have to go to the DMV because the nearest infinity dealership is a state away and the large Nissan dealership just a mile away wont touch an infinity.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
If your exhaust is in fact OEM, this will be easy to beat. You will need to go to court with some kind of documentation indication that your exhaust system is in fact OEM and unaltered. I would imagine a document stating that your exhaust is stock and unaltered on your local dealership's letterhead and signed by one of their mechanics would be more than enough to do the trick.

What I don't understand here is how an officer can site you for a violation with no evidence of said infraction. Now you have to use you time to plead in court instead of being productive. Your time is worth money, and if you are spending it in court you are losing money. I wonder if there could even be a lawsuit here.

Regardless, to have received a ticket like this, you must have gotten on the officers bad side somehow. You probably smart mouthed him, so they stuck it to you. This isn't something a cop would do for fun.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
No worries, going to court is a waste of your time! Have your car inspected letting them know your exhaust is factory stock and doesn't exceed the state db levels. They should just write it off, knowing the cop was stupid for giving you the ticket....Gary
^^^This! I don't know what happened to have him go after you but just have it written off if you got a fix it ticket. You will pay 20 bucks or so but it may not be worth your time to miss work or hang out in court all day to contest it.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by jcseven7
Regardless, to have received a ticket like this, you must have gotten on the officers bad side somehow. You probably smart mouthed him, so they stuck it to you. This isn't something a cop would do for fun.

I didn't get mouthy with him until he handed me a ticket. He walked up to my car, asked for my information, which I gave him and then he walked away without saying anything. 2 other officers showed up and started chatting with him for about 30 minutes before I was eventually cited for having "a loud exhaust", which is where I started getting mouthy.

I worked at the local kmart as a loss prevention associate for over a year, and got to know 80% of the PD here on first name basis with many but this guy was new and probably trying to fill his new roll.

On the subject of getting my car inspected, can a regular garage give me a certified letter stating my exhaust is in fact factory? As I said before, the Nissan dealership here (Love Nissan) won't do anything for infinitis, as they don't sell them..

Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Seriously? My Nissan dealership welcomes my business, can't believe in this economy they'd turn you away. How about a muffler shop, ask them to verify you have a OE exhaust. You need nothing signed, just so you know your exhaust is factory. Since you know some of the cops in your area ask them how to handle this situation. I had a Nark cop friend, when I got a ticket he would just have his judge pal write it off. Sadly I only got away with this for about 3 years due to transfers....Gary

Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Wow! That is new. I would get the inspection 1st and then cause hell to the officer that wrote the ticket. I would go over his head and talk to his boss. Thats just me.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I didn't get mouthy with him until he handed me a ticket...
If you gave the officer no reason to want to be a jerk, I just don't get it. New guys usually won't even think to write such an obscure citation. It just doesn't make sense, and it's frustrating to hear.

...can a regular garage give me a certified letter stating my exhaust is in fact factory?
This isn't legal advice, but the court should acknowledge a document from an "expert witness." You can search the definition of "expert witness" on the googles. The thing is, you need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the document is authentic and the undersigned is actually an "expert." Hence, a document on the letterhead of a business that employees "experts" on the particular subject. I would imagine any shop would do. I hope you can find a nice mechanic to inspect your car, write it up, and sign it for free.

Good luck sir.

Edit: You should file a complaint. This type of behavior is reprehensible.

Last edited by jcseven7; 01-07-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: another thought
Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
OB '04 Coupe Premium w/Performance Wheel & Tire
Funny thing is I don't se any Bikers getting pulled over for loud exhausts and running no cats

Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Wow that's definitely interesting haha. Just get some documentation stating that an inspection was done and it was found that your exhaust was not modified in any way. What a terrible way to use your time though... I'd be pretty mad if I were you.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I got stopped for this a while back here in Las Vegas just told the cop to use a decibel reader.....he didnt have one so he let me go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket for having a loud exhaust tonight..