The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Wondering about 05-06 G35C driving experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2014 | 02:39 AM
|
Wondering about 05-06 G35C driving experience

Hey guys, I am a newb to the G for the most part.. I have the old 2000 G20, but idk if its the same family of performance. Anyway I have a question that goes out to the 05-06 owners or anybody that has owned one and driven multiple model years in the G35/37. I have been searching around all over and I have test driven two G35's and a G37. I also have test driven a couple Z's. I noticed alot of differences. To start with the G's I noticed that both the 05 and 06 had alot of vibration in the clutch and very low 1/2/3 gears. They seemed kinda rough while driving compared to the newer models which is expected to a degree.. Is there anything substantial that could be causing the rough transmission feel and the vibration/thumping in the clutch pedal while it is released and I am resting my foot on it? I also noticed that the higher my rpm's went in the older model G's the rougher the shift. I had issues with almost kissing the wheel between shifts. I noticed that those problems were fixed with the 08 G37 I drove. However it still had a bit of whiplash at about 7k between 3/4. The Z's were two completely different stories between the two I drove. The 03 was just like the G35's I test drove, while the 08 was perfect. The clutch was stock and ultra smoot and didn't jerk at all. The only real difference between it and the others was the exhaust. It had the mufflers removed and straight piped from the cats to the tips. So I am stuck wondering if it is just the clutch that was in the 08 Z or if was the exhaust causing too much back pressure? I don't know, my big question and what I really want feedback from is how everybody else's G's have treated them with regards to driving experience. Cause after that base model 08 I am almost thinking about just doing that instead. If anybody has this same issue or they were all this way please let me know, cause I am thinking about picking up this 05 really soon. Thank you very much!!

Old 05-06-2014 | 09:26 PM
Honestly, I am in the process of parting out and selling my 03 coupe to purchase an 08 350z. You are very right on the shifter feel. The 08 is a much smoother setup all around, from the transmission to the engine and power band. As much as I love the G, oh god do I love it, its time to say goodbye

Good luck on your search. IMO, you should purchase the newest model you can afford. However, don't purchase something with substantial mileage just because the price is low. These cars are all very reliable, but the G35 coupe is still rough around the edges in a few areas. 07-08 350z or a G37 coupe or sedan would be a great purchase. Finally, if you do decide on an 07-08 Z make sure the clutch slave cylinder has been replaced as those fail on a very high percentage of 07-08 Z's. IIRC, there was a recall published by Nissan. So pull the records from Nissan or make sure the owner has documented proof!

-Sean

Old 05-19-2014 | 08:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
Honestly, I am in the process of parting out and selling my 03 coupe to purchase an 08 350z. You are very right on the shifter feel. The 08 is a much smoother setup all around, from the transmission to the engine and power band. As much as I love the G, oh god do I love it, its time to say goodbye

Good luck on your search. IMO, you should purchase the newest model you can afford. However, don't purchase something with substantial mileage just because the price is low. These cars are all very reliable, but the G35 coupe is still rough around the edges in a few areas. 07-08 350z or a G37 coupe or sedan would be a great purchase. Finally, if you do decide on an 07-08 Z make sure the clutch slave cylinder has been replaced as those fail on a very high percentage of 07-08 Z's. IIRC, there was a recall published by Nissan. So pull the records from Nissan or make sure the owner has documented proof!

-Sean
Thanks for the info. After talking to the wife we decided that 20k was too much so she let me get an 05 g35c with 82k miles. So far I have found that the driver side cooling fan stopped working it runs pretty hot at idle and has hit the top notch of the temp gauge and then dropped before I killed it. Burns oil and has some exterior rash to mend up. I purchased it to fix and sell for higher, but I find myself constantly looking at the 370 to remind myself I can get attached. Love the car, just trying to find the cheapest ways to make it look and run good. Currently I am fixing the cooling prob then investigating the head gasket. Seems it might have a leak. Then a refinish on the paint and maybe a body kit A z tube and maybe an intake. I already swapped the stock for a k&n since it was black on one side and orange on the other.