The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

2007 G35S sedan totaled

Old 05-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 G35S sedan TOTALED (NEED ADVICE)

Two days ago on may 4th, my G35 was rear ended by another vehicle and was labeled as a total loss by GEICO. Seeing as this is the first time I have been involved in a vehicle collision, I was wondering if anyone had some advice as to what it to come. I have a few questions for anyone that has had previous experience to situations like this.

1) My car is a 2007 G35 sport sedan that was Salvage prior to the incident and KBB along with NADA price the vehicle at 13,000-14,000 around my area. I'm wondering if the settlement will be anywhere close to that or if it will be dramatically lower than the blue book value.

2) After viewing the condition of the car, would you recommend buying the car back from the insurance and perhaps parting it out or fixing it?

3) What are some tactics to use with the insurance company to get the best evaluation on the car?

The car runs and drives perfectly fine.
77,600 miles. premium package
My apologies if pictures are too big, I don't know how to reduce the size.

Before

Before

Before

After

After

Last edited by Manny6393; 05-06-2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: better title explaining purpose
Old 05-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope those lights don't get you in any trouble with your insurance company. Here in BC, Canada. Our provincial insurer (ICBC) would probably try to claim the person who rear ended you couldn't see your brake lights were on and rule the accident fault 50/50

More importantly, hope you're alright and can find a good replacement for your car.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slicrick
I hope those lights don't get you in any trouble with your insurance company. Here in BC, Canada. Our provincial insurer (ICBC) would probably try to claim the person who rear ended you couldn't see your brake lights were on and rule the accident fault 50/50

More importantly, hope you're alright and can find a good replacement for your car.
Well the tint doesn't cover any of the light when I brake, only the surrounding of it which should have no effect. Either way the police arrived and did fault the other driver for the accident. Thank you for your kind wishes, I will post what the outcome is for anyone who is in a similar problem in the future.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
2007 G35S sedan totaled

Originally Posted by Manny6393
Two days ago on may 4th, my G35 was rear ended by another vehicle and was labeled as a total loss by GEICO. Seeing as this is the first time I have been involved in a vehicle collision, I was wondering if anyone had some advice as to what it to come. I have a few questions for anyone that has had previous experience to situations like this.

1) My car is a 2007 G35 sport sedan that was Salvage prior to the incident and KBB along with NADA price the vehicle at 13,000-14,000 around my area. I'm wondering if the settlement will be anywhere close to that or if it will be dramatically lower than the blue book value.

2) After viewing the condition of the car, would you recommend buying the car back from the insurance and perhaps parting it out or fixing it?

3) What are some tactics to use with the insurance company to get the best evaluation on the car?

The car runs and drives perfectly fine.
77,600 miles. premium package
My apologies if pictures are too big, I don't know how to reduce the size.

Before

Before

Before

After

After
I too have Geico and my coupe was just totaled, 03 with 140k on the clock and I ended up with 9k, so they seem to be okay in terms of payouts, although it could be different in your area. They don't use KBB to determine the value of your car, rather they find similar cars in terms of mileage and condition at dealerships and basically average out the price.

2 - I wouldn't recommend salvaging an already savaged car, a car is already a depreciating asset and it was salvaged in the first place. sinking money into it to fix it is just throwing money away, unless you're emotionally attached, then it's a different story.

3 - I'd start now looking online at various dealer websites at similar cars as yours and try and find what your car is being offered at in your area, see how close the insurance company gets an talk to your agent about it.

I hope your okay and sorry to hear about the car, wrecks are a PITA, hope everything works out!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
I have American Commerce insurance and my 06 6sp sedan was totaled ~2 months ago. After a month of battling I came away with $4k more than their original settlement offer.

I would advise you to reject their first offer, and counter with the most expensive but similar cars you have found in the area. My claims agent used Autotrader for his examples, but after their 3rd offer they reluctantly used the examples I presented from Craigslist (only because 6sp sedans are so hard to find in my area).

After the initial offer, you can fax them them receipts for your last tire change and any work you've had done. They won't give you $hit for the tires or repairs (offered me $72 for my 1 month, $600 tires, $50 for the 6 month old OEM clutch flywheel I bought for $750) but it's something. I told them I'd keep the tires instead, and since I had been such a PITA they let me keep my OEM wheels too, providing the car would still roll, so I replaced them with a few spares I picked up at a wrecking yard for $30.

If you or a friend have/know a lawyer, ask them to fax your claims agent a letter stating that (the lawyer) will be representing you in all matters regarding them claims process. It probably won't come to it, but it lets the agent know you're serious. I dealt directly with the claims agent and never consulted my lawyer after he sent the letter, but the claims agent doesn't know that. My traffic lawyer sent the letter free of charge since I've used him to fight a few tickets, but regardless, any lawyer fee will pay for itself in the end.

Assuming your coverage included a car rental, you should get one, regardless of whether you need it or not. It'll be free/extremely cheap for you, but more importantly, every day the claims agent drags out your case will cost them more money, so they will be motivated to settle ASAP. They will pay for the rental until the day they drop your check in the mail. You can also request they overnight the check, which they are required to do if you ask, as long as it's not being sent to a PO box.

It's a pain, but if you remain patient and greedy, it'll be the easiest money you've ever made. Happy hunting and sorry about your G. What are your plans for the next car?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:50 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by slicrick

I've seen that happen around here too, but since his tint doesn't cover the actual brake light portion of the light, he'll be fine. I have a friend that does auto insurance, and she has told me about a few people rear ended with DARK tint over their taillights. It does play a roll in what comes next in terms of challenging who's at fault there.

OP, honestly, if the car is totaled, let it go. Now if you buy it back, do so only to part it out. Doing this all depends on two things. 1.) you get the car back cheap enough that parting it out and then having the body towed away actually makes you more money than what you paid for buying the car back, and .2) you actually have a spot to store a totaled out car while you part it out without it being an eyesore to your neighbors, or getting yourself some HOA or city fines for the car sitting in the driveway unregistered and stripped.