The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Replacing Serpentine Belt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Serpentine Belt?

I've never done this myself but I'm terribly sick of "labor" costs. When I start my vehicle it squeeks quite loudly and high-pitched but will cease after about 5 seconds. Almost every start it begins to squeek and its gotten progressively worse over the last several months.

Anyways, I'd like to replace my "belt" however, when I visit the website where I will be purchasing the product I'm highly confused. There are four different types of belts. There are both Poly Rib Belts and V-Ribbed Belts, and both of those have two different part numbers. I have no idea which I need or if these are even the right products?

Also is there a good video demonstrating how to replace this belt? Is the serpentine/accessory/alternator belt all the same belt? Will I need anything special besides sockets/wrenches?

EDIT: I'm beginning to think this engine has two serpintine belts, is this true? If so, how can I figure out which 2 I need exactly?

Last edited by cctaylor88; 03-09-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Yes there are 2 belts, one for AC and one for PS/Alternator. They are super easy to change, took me a total of 20 minutes. This is the guide I followed. The search feature on this site is way more useful than you'd think.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (03-09-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howdy. First time poster, short time owner (just bought a 2006 G35 Coupe 4 weeks ago). The previous owner of my coupe had the belts replaced but did let me know that they were squeaking (yes, the new ones). There are lots of places on this forum that mention this exact scenario. New belts resulting in continued squeaking. If that happens to you you'll need to replace the Idler Pulleys. I did this just this past Thursday and all of my squeaking is gone.

The advice and link provided by Conissah are terrific. I also followed this:
. I even ordered the same pieces that he used. No more squeaking (and, yeah, starting that thing up at 5 in the morning when it was cold out was looooooooouuuuuddddd).

I used car ramps, removed the shroud, and followed the guide and video (he removes the radiator fans which you don't have to do if you're coming in from the bottom).

The following users liked this post:
6klub (11-02-2020)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Put some water first on your belt to see if the noise goes away. If it does then your belt is probably bad if not I'd look at the pulleys. I bought both replacement pulley's for about 100 bucks on RockAuto vs. 100 dollars each at the standard auto store.

You can also do a mod to remove the top idler if you're < 07. It helps remove useless moving part and another point of failure. If you replace the idler you just need to buy an 07+ serpentine belt from now.

I usually use Dayco belts on my Audi and they are a good brand. Last time I did my belts on the Infiniti I used OEM. You just need a few ratchets, loose the bolt on the front of the pulley, and then loosen the screw under the bracket. After it lowers a little bit you should be able to slide the belt off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.