Buying a 2007 G35 Manual Coupe Need your experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:07 AM
WVT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 2007 G35 Manual Coupe Need your experience

Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a G35 coupe. I am in Canada and there is one for sale with only 61K Kms (37.5K Miles). This will be my first manual car that i will own. My first manual car i ever drove was a G35. I really like the front engine rear wheel drive platform. The power and the classic look. But before i purchase this car i just want to make sure i know what i will getting myself into.

Reading the forums i see a few issues with this car.
1. HR motor means burns oil because of piston rings? - so basically i just top it up once in awhile when it is low or do an oil catch can to reduce consumption
2. Lower Control Arm Bushings - Need to replace these every 40k Miles? Or i just buy brand new lower control arms with the bushings in them.
3. Window motors regulators Die - Replace them
4. Seat tears - shave down the part that tears it and replace leather
5. Yellowing Headlights - Clean it. Is there a permanent fix?

Anything else i am missing? Being that this car is now 10 years old what else might i have to look out for?

Should i do a Pre purchase inspection before purchasing the car?

Any advice from your experience will be great!

Thanks

Old 07-28-2017, 02:42 AM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
It's a good car

Some burn a little oil some a lot, if you do purchase it just check oil every few days and get a feel for it, although it's early in life so who knows.

Also it has a REVUP motor, not an HR, the HR only came in 07+ sedans and 350z's, they redline at 7500 rather than 7k

Typically its just the bushings that need to be pressed in, although I didnt have access to a press to do mine and no shops would, so I just replaced the arms... And i wouldn't say every 40k, I play those things by ear honestly

In terms of the tearing seat, it's just there, mine is very miniscule at 130k miles, if anything I'll have the bottom of the seat reupholstered eventually

The window motors are something thats cheap and easy to replace, last long for some and not so much for others, I have had 2 coupes and replaced the driver side motor on each, only once.

For the headlights I use 600, 800, 900, 1000, 2000, and then 3000 grit sand paper and wet sand the lights, then top off with a polish and diy clear coat, don't currently have pictures but it works well!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WVT
Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a G35 coupe. I am in Canada and there is one for sale with only 61K Kms (37.5K Miles). This will be my first manual car that i will own. My first manual car i ever drove was a G35. I really like the front engine rear wheel drive platform. The power and the classic look. But before i purchase this car i just want to make sure i know what i will getting myself into.
Reading the forums i see a few issues with this car.
1. VQ motor means burns oil because of piston rings? - so basically i just top it up once in awhile when it is low or do an oil catch can to reduce consumption
2. Lower Control Arm Bushings - Need to replace these every 40k Miles? Or i just buy brand new lower control arms with the bushings in them.
3. Window motors regulators Die - Replace them
4. Seat tears - shave down the part that tears it and replace leather
5. Yellowing Headlights - Clean it. Is there a permanent fix?
Anything else i am missing? Being that this car is now 10 years old what else might i have to look out for?
Should i do a Pre purchase inspection before purchasing the car?
Any advice from your experience will be great!
Thanks
If you're looking at a coupe with a MT don't buy a first gen model that has the VQ RevUp motor...'06 or '07! Look for a low mileage G37 coupe, no OC issues and overall a updated version of the first gen G35...Gary

Old 07-28-2017, 06:05 PM
WVT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies and how you dealt with the issues.

As for the G37 it is out of my price range. Another G35 just came on the market which is an 03 with about 80k Kms (50k Miles). So either a 03 or a 07. Should i really not pick this up? dammn

Old 07-28-2017, 06:55 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I really don't like the LOOK of the G37, yeah the VHR is an amazing motor and better than the HR but if you're willing to live with a little oil consumption then it's not an issue. On that note, I strongly recommend using the factory nissan oil with an aftermarket (read BETTER) oil filter. I tried a couple synthetics in mine, was consuming a quart every 1000 miles!!!... tried castrol conventional and it was roughly half the OC, switched back to nissan oil and the OC is practically nonexistant, maybe 1/4 of a quart across 3k miles. Most of the oil gets caught up in a baffled catch can, routed back into the intake, some of it is being eaten by the rings though because I lose more than I catch. No biggie.

I've had to recalibrate my driver side window motor, just installed a new passenger motor today, easy repairs, the ding in the leather is very small and not a concern at this time (114k miles), LCA is fine, you'll know when it needs replaced because your alignment guy will tell you , my headlights aren't yellowing but they are covered in a clear bra protector along with the rest of the front of the vehicle.

Considering those few issues, most of which are easily fixed, and the price the G's are selling for right now it's hard to find any other vehicle with the performance and luxury and looks as the '06-'07 coupe 6MT.

Something to note, if you end up buying it and it has the rear active steering package (turn key to on, check instrument lights for RAS) then get into a big empty parking lot, get the car up to about 40mph and take a few hard corners so you know what it feels like when the rear tires turn into the corner, it feels wierd the first couple times it happens and it spooked me the first time, thought I was skidding a little but it's totally normal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.