The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Grounding Wires ARE Important!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grounding Wires ARE Important!!

So I'm currently at Summit Point Raceway in WV for a track day as my dad's moral support. He lined up went out on the track and the instructor did two laps in our 03 G35 so he could inform my dad of the proper line. No problems so far. Then my pops got into the drivers seat. Started his first lap and all of a msudden the engine sputtered a few times and then died, and wouldn't start back up. So when they h. it towed back to our spot in the coral we started to look around and try to figure out what exactly was the issue. (It was our only way back home for the 2 hour drive, so we kinda needed to fix it) We got it jacked up so we could look around but nothing seemed abnormal. We looked under the hood but nothing stood out. I'm not gonna lie, we were completely befuddled. (My Dad owns a meineke which kinda adds insult to injury) So I came over after checking the fuses and pointed out that a grounding wire that was supposed to be attached below the intake manifold wasn't. The bolt was about to fall off. So we tightened it up and I went in to see if she would start. She did, with a good old puff of smoke coming out of the exhaust, she breathes once again.

I felt like this was just a funny little scenario where something you wouldn't necessarily think is the issue is the whole issue all along. So in his hindsight, make sure your main wiring harness is grounded...

Old 09-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I don't think the grounding kit is necessary, but it helps. Suffice to say, glad you got it fixed.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:08 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yep, this is exactly why when I give suggestions to clean/check battery cables I always specify BOTH ENDS!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.