The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Still misfiring if anyone has an idea ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still misfiring if anyone has an idea ???

I posted a while back about flashing cel vdc off light on and slip light on I've replaced the plugs coils injectors and today the crank position sensor and after I replaced that today it got worse sounded like a machine gun thinking bad ecu I even brought it to a mechanic that works on these and he's stumped he said today ecu maybe gonna try the cam position sensor tom than Idk I guess ecu anyone have any thoughts? Hooked up to comp not throwing any codes except random msfirev

Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'd take it to Nissan for a real diagnostic, hooked up to Consult-II or III they can check all sensors in actual relation to one another, oscilloscope, as well as test for proper ECU function.

It's usually cheaper to pay $150 for a diagnostic then it is to randomly throw parts at the car hoping something fixes the problem.

If you haven't already though take care of all the easy stuff like cleaning the MAF, checking for a stuck PCV valve, visually inspecting all coil packs for blistering of the epoxy resin top, scorching of the spark plug well, corrosion of the spark plug well contact spring, checking spark plugs for obvious wear, fill up the tank with fuel from another station.

Since replacing the crank sensor made the problem WORSE then you could well have TWO bad crank sensors, if you didn't use an OEM one then it's highly likely.

Exactly what code(s) is the ECU sending, you should have at least P0300 and hopefully one specific to a cylinder.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I'd take it to Nissan for a real diagnostic, hooked up to Consult-II or III they can check all sensors in actual relation to one another, oscilloscope, as well as test for proper ECU function.

It's usually cheaper to pay $150 for a diagnostic then it is to randomly throw parts at the car hoping something fixes the problem.

If you haven't already though take care of all the easy stuff like cleaning the MAF, checking for a stuck PCV valve, visually inspecting all coil packs for blistering of the epoxy resin top, scorching of the spark plug well, corrosion of the spark plug well contact spring, checking spark plugs for obvious wear, fill up the tank with fuel from another station.

Since replacing the crank sensor made the problem WORSE then you could well have TWO bad crank sensors, if you didn't use an OEM one then it's highly likely.

Exactly what code(s) is the ECU sending, you should have at least P0300 and hopefully one specific to a cylinder.
i replsced everything i said than I brought it to a mechanic last Friday he had it till tues said he couldn't find it i said ok I'm going to bring it to infinity he called me 15 min later says I found it it was injector 6 he said he replaced the coils plug and injector in cylinder 6 it was fixed I picked it up abs it sounded weird didn't growl Ike it had sounded Tin like but it wasn't misfiring drive it for like an hour was fine than I started to hear the misfire faintly than the cel started flashing again and car sounded back to normal with the growl at higher rmps so I brought it back to him cuz I paid him $200 and it's not fixed he has the sensors so it's not costing me anything to try them but I said to him today I wonder if the mass air flow is dirty cuz when I first got the car the hose that connects to it was frayed abd had to be replaced anyways he threw in a new crank position sensor cleared the code which was random misfire don't R.E.M. The code # and soon as I got on the highway sounded like a machine gun going off he thinks ecu I think mass air flow sensor idk we'll see tom he's going to fix it conserving I wanted to take it to the dealership and it hurt his pride I think he stayed till 930 at night tues trying to fix it

Old 02-22-2018, 10:22 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah I get that but without the proper tools like an oscilliscope to actually see the signal being sent by the sensors it's still mostly guesswork.

The dealership has the EXACT tools to read the symptoms, they also have the EXACT manual to follow for diagnostic prodecure, they also have computer software designed to integrate EXACTLY with the vehicle that literally tells them what the problem is.

These vehicles have very sophisticated computers and a lot of custom peripherial devices that Joe Mechanic doesn't have because theyre onpy for Nissan. If he's not charging you extra that's fine but just know for the money you've already spent Nissan would have figured out the EXACT problem with less headache and zero guesswork.

After you know the exact problem there's nothing wrong with having this guy do the repair work.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Yeah I get that but without the proper tools like an oscilliscope to actually see the signal being sent by the sensors it's still mostly guesswork.

The dealership has the EXACT tools to read the symptoms, they also have the EXACT manual to follow for diagnostic prodecure, they also have computer software designed to integrate EXACTLY with the vehicle that literally tells them what the problem is.

These vehicles have very sophisticated computers and a lot of custom peripherial devices that Joe Mechanic doesn't have because theyre onpy for Nissan. If he's not charging you extra that's fine but just know for the money you've already spent Nissan would have figured out the EXACT problem with less headache and zero guesswork.

After you know the exact problem there's nothing wrong with having this guy do the repair work.
Actually I just got done reading the manual and I just decided I'm taking it to the dealership I'm calling in the morning it just bugs me that I spent $200 for nothing but I just want my car fixed so I just read that they can diagnose with a consult tool and identify the prob instead of guess I just texted the mechanic to see if he had one but I assume if he had one he would have already used it so to the dealer I go I've worked in the car biz for the last 20 years at diff dealerships as a finance manager and can't believe I don't have one friend at a Nissan or infinity dealership grrr

Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Melo5812

Actually I just got done reading the manual and I just decided I'm taking it to the dealership I'm calling in the morning it just bugs me that I spent $200 for nothing but I just want my car fixed so I just read that they can diagnose with a consult tool and identify the prob instead of guess I just texted the mechanic to see if he had one but I assume if he had one he would have already used it so to the dealer I go I've worked in the car biz for the last 20 years at diff dealerships as a finance manager and can't believe I don't have one friend at a Nissan or infinity dealership grrr

and he is not charging me any extra since he didn't fix the problem but I think I'm just going to get it over a and take it to the dealership pisses me off cuz I just started the body work it was supposed to get painted this weekend I'll have to wait now

Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 AM
I'm at the dealership with fingers x'd 284$ to diagnose but $ well spent if they find the problem

Old 02-23-2018, 08:47 PM
So went to the dealership and found out the problem the coil in cyl 6 that I just replaced the parts store gave me the wrong coil they look identical the only way the tech even found it out was he looked up the part #

Old 02-23-2018, 08:53 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Is the problem fixed?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Is the problem fixed?

no no I wasn't paying them $275 for a single coil lol besides I replaced them originally tge mechanic I took it to did the one in cyl 6 w the plug and injector he got the coil so he was getting it tonight and he offered to change it too as he should have but it should be all set the tech said the coil prob kept up for a little while which explains why the misfire stopped for an hour plus but said it's not a high performance like the g so crapped out completely and that's why it's worse now that before

Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=Melo5812;7131243]

cost me $284 in diagnostics today btw

Old 02-23-2018, 09:09 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sweet, I'm glad you took it to Nissan that would have been INCREDIBLY hard to troubleshoot until it was actually logging cylinder 6 error codes. Intermittent problems are the worst.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Sweet, I'm glad you took it to Nissan that would have been INCREDIBLY hard to troubleshoot until it was actually logging cylinder 6 error codes. Intermittent problems are the worst.

fyi the techs at the infinity dealership were crowded around my g today listening to the exhaust said it was one of the best sounding g's he's heard no lie he said it was the best part of my car lol circuit werks is def not your typical eBay junk

Old 02-23-2018, 09:15 PM
And they did some test one cyl at a time isolated it to 6 swapped could w #2 it followed wasn't till after he switched it that he found it was wrong coil so yea incredibly hard is right

Old 02-24-2018, 06:29 PM
still not fixed replaced coil and it was not the wrong one so there went $300 out the window gunna trace all the electrical from the comp and if that isn't it than it has to be a bad ecu I mean what else could it be

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Still misfiring if anyone has an idea ???