The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Quick question about the interior...

Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 PM
Premier Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bone stock G35, got everything but sirius radio. :(
Quick question about the interior...

My 05' G35 Sedan has the wood grain trim (which I like). Looks like I may have fried my radio....... Can the wood grain trim be somehow swapped to another radio if I were to buy one that was the silver or brushed stainless look?

I hate that I may possibly have to get rid of the wood grain trim.....

I will go into what happened with the radio in the audio forum if anyone is interested.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:35 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 698 Likes on 647 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Not without modification unfortunately. Look into the JDM double din, it's the factory item available overseas. You can probably experiment around with some vinyl wrap to find something to match the existing rosewood trim.

Another option is to just wrap over the OEM rosewood with whatever rosewood vinyl wrap you chose, then it will all match.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Premier Member
*sigh* That's what I was afraid of.

Thanks for the information.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
04 6mt Coupe
I would think that if you got a replacement OEM head unit with the same features and button layout, you could remove the faceplate of your unit and swap it with your rosewood. Theres a bunch of screws holding the CD and radio components and circuit boards on the back.
Upgrading to aftermarket would be harder..unless they made a jdm rosewood...probably require a vinyl wrap for everything to match up as cleric said.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:01 AM
Premier Member
Originally Posted by TokkioDrift View Post
I would think that if you got a replacement OEM head unit with the same features and button layout, you could remove the faceplate of your unit and swap it with your rosewood. Theres a bunch of screws holding the CD and radio components and circuit boards on the back.
Upgrading to aftermarket would be harder..unless they made a jdm rosewood...probably require a vinyl wrap for everything to match up as cleric said.
Yeah the plan at this point is to get another OEM head unit and use my display. Would any of you guys know where I could get new ribbon cable that goes between the head unit and the display.
I know you can buy them but am not sure exactly what I need. I know it's a 12 POS (or pin or wire) cable.
Seems they are defined by the number of wires( actually seem to be flat copper conductors ) and the width of the of said conductors. I have seen .05mm. & 1mm. conductor width.
My eyes are bad enough to not be able to measure whether it's .5 or 1mm.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:52 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 698 Likes on 647 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ohh in that case yes the whole thing can be disassembled and swapped I believe. I thought you meant you were looking at an aftermarket head unit.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
04 6mt Coupe
Can't help with spec on the pin cable...I scrapped my oe head unit a few weeks ago or I would just send you the part you need. Are you just trying to make sure your display works? I think the cable and display / board would come with a head unit.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Premier Member
Originally Posted by TokkioDrift View Post
Can't help with spec on the pin cable...I scrapped my oe head unit a few weeks ago or I would just send you the part you need. Are you just trying to make sure your display works? I think the cable and display / board would come with a head unit.
No. It's just the radio & CD changer...no display. I don't think it has the ribbon cable either from the pics. I will just have to re-use mine I guess.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 PM
Premier Member
Ribbon cable terminology & what's needed for between the head unit & display (I learned a little last night......

12 pin (copper connectors / wires in the strip)
1.0 mm. ( width of the copper conductors)
Forward & reverse cables: Forward has the exposed conductors on the same side of the ribbon, reverse has the exposed conductors at each end on opposite sides of the ribbon. Bose head units use forward ones.
Length of cable is pretty self explanatory. The OEM Bose units has a 15 cm. length cable between head unit & display.

Just in case anyone ever wondered or needed to know what to order....

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (03-11-2019)