The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What advice would you give to a first time MT driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
The smoking tire tutorial on manual transmissions is a good time.
I watch that at least twice a day definitely helpful thank you

Old 05-15-2019, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Engine on, clutch pressed to floor, shift lever in neutral, shift into first, then back to neutral, press shift lever down & to the right into reverse

Back up

Telcoman
Yes thank you for the tips !! It feels amazing picking up speed and shifting to the next gear! Never anything I experienced from an automatic transmission

Old 05-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Haha I’m slowly getting used to driving with a clutch.I got in my dads corolla yesterday that he let me borrow for work and my feet were so confused looking for the clutch lol it felt weird driving an auto again I felt like if I slowed down I would stall 😂

Old 05-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
After driving manual cars for years, a lot of people including me find themselves occasionally slamming the dead pedal (or the BRAKES ) when slowing to a stop with their left foot when they're driving an automatic, it's a lot of fun. Glad to hear you're getting into it, the ultimate test of rev-matching proficiency IMO is going from 6th to 3d smoothly when going like 60 for a "automatic style" sudden launch.

Just don't money shift it! I've almost killed the G like 3 times during my 2 years ownership doing stuff like that until I got the poly mounts which made that a thing of the past...

And you're not going to get the same clutch and brake life as Telcoman, he drives like a grandpa

Last edited by cswlightning; 05-15-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
After driving manual cars for years, a lot of people including me find themselves occasionally slamming the dead pedal (or the BRAKES ) when slowing to a stop with their left foot when they're driving an automatic, it's a lot of fun. Glad to hear you're getting into it, the ultimate test of rev-matching proficiency IMO is going from 6th to 3d smoothly when going like 60 for a "automatic style" sudden launch.

Just don't money shift it! I've almost killed the G like 3 times during my 2 years ownership doing stuff like that until I got the poly mounts which made that a thing of the past...

And you're not going to get the same clutch and brake life as Telcoman, he drives like a grandpa
Money shifting is the reason why I haven’t practice downshifting yet I’m terrified of it.I just simply throw into neutral and coast for now as I don’t wanna mess it up and blow my tranny. I doubt my clutch is going to last me as long 😂 hopefully by the time I’ll learn fully I’ll be able to take it to a mechanic to get an action clutch installed 😂