Go Back  G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion > General Discussion > The G-Spot
Reload this Page >

Drove through a big puddle of water?? Should I worry about it?

The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Old 05-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So itís been raining heavily in my area with some parts of the streets flooding.I was driving home from a mechanic in my 6mt sedan and right when Iím about to hit the front of my home I get faced with a huge puddle.I tried to reverse it and take the alley behind me to go around instead but as soon as I go in reverse I see traffic forming up behind me and then I realized I was screwed and I had to drive over the puddle.the puddle was high Enough to hit the Infiniti center caps on my oem 17 wheels (sorry donít know how high it was by measuring) and drove right pass it and parked.Im lowered on 350z springs and I have a Stillen z tube with stock box filer.I did not notice anything after driving through the puddle I even started it up an hour after I have parked and the car fired right up with no weird noises.Should I be worried??? Iím just afraid to get hydro locked but it seems my car is still running the same but a little part of is scared that maybe I will feel the damage later on.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:16 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo
Received 1,432 Likes on 1,180 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Trust me you'll be fine, if you had any immediate water enter the motor it would have stalled and/or started making weird noises. Check your air filter to see if it got wet at all,. my guess is it didn't. You might want to warm up the motor and let it run for a bit idling wherever you park. That'll help heat up and hopefully dry out any components that were exposed to the water.

My 06 GTO flooded a couple of weeks ago and it's going to be totaled, the amount of the repair is huge. I was driving and the water literally went from a couple of inches deep to the top of the tires in a matter of seconds here in our neighborhood. The car's market value is a little over $14K and the repair estimate is right at $13K. Sad times here my friends, sad times.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 AM
BANNED!!!
Received 815 Likes on 749 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The air is drawn from right where the hood meets the grill, unless you hit the puddle pretty hard you're not going to ingest water but like BD said you should still pull the filter and make sure it's not damp.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream View Post
Trust me you'll be fine, if you had any immediate water enter the motor it would have stalled and/or started making weird noises. Check your air filter to see if it got wet at all,. my guess is it didn't. You might want to warm up the motor and let it run for a bit idling wherever you park. That'll help heat up and hopefully dry out any components that were exposed to the water.

My 06 GTO flooded a couple of weeks ago and it's going to be totaled, the amount of the repair is huge. I was driving and the water literally went from a couple of inches deep to the top of the tires in a matter of seconds here in our neighborhood. The car's market value is a little over $14K and the repair estimate is right at $13K. Sad times here my friends, sad times.
What were the symptoms you had after going through the water?

Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 AM
Received 128 Likes on 121 Posts
I would be more concerned about water at that depth finding its way into the cabin and frying the BCM since it sits pretty low.

But since u just drove thru it, the water probably didnt have enough time to get in.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
I would be more concerned about water at that depth finding its way into the cabin and frying the BCM since it sits pretty low.

But since u just drove thru it, the water probably didnt have enough time to get in.
Whatís a bcm

Old 05-28-2019, 02:26 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
Received 1,432 Likes on 1,180 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
After I got out of the water the motor was running a little rough and had a light clicking sound from the front of the motor which went away by the time I had driven 2 blocks to get back to the house. I waited an hour after I got home for the rain to stop, went outside to start the car with the intention of letting it run for a while to dry out the engine bay and when I started it the motor had the sound of death, rod knock. I shut it down, came inside and made an insurance claim immediately. Strangely the rear floorboard was soaking wet but the front floorboard was dry as a bone.

The BCM is the body control module, one of the main computer systems that the car uses to run correctly.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:34 AM
Received 128 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ View Post
What’s a bcm
"Body Control Module". Just Nissan's fancy name for computer. It controls a lot of the electrical functions on the car. Some security stuff too.

Located behind the fuse box in the driver's side lower left kickpanel.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream View Post
After I got out of the water the motor was running a little rough and had a light clicking sound from the front of the motor which went away by the time I had driven 2 blocks to get back to the house. I waited an hour after I got home for the rain to stop, went outside to start the car with the intention of letting it run for a while to dry out the engine bay and when I started it the motor had the sound of death, rod knock. I shut it down, came inside and made an insurance claim immediately. Strangely the rear floorboard was soaking wet but the front floorboard was dry as a bone.

The BCM is the body control module, one of the main computer systems that the car uses to run correctly.
I just got off work and I havenít touched my car since I parked it about 8 hours ago.im coming home now to try to dry it out by starting the car and let it warm up and I will Continue to investigate as I will be driving it tomorrow all day.I hope nothing is wrong as I just bought the car 2 months ago and I really fell in love with how it drives and I already invested a good amount on cosmetics as well as engine work.Last thing I want is to total my car for driving through a puddle that I couldnít avoid.I thank god my appointment for coilovers install is next week I could only imagine being lower than I am now and going through that haha.Now that I remember I recall going through the same type of puddle in my old 5AT sedan and all that happened was my headlights and gauge lights were cut out and I had to replace them.My 5AT was slammed compared to my current 6mt sedan.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:26 AM
Update:I started my car just now and the motor sounds good but I did get rod knock type sound coming from my center console where my transmission is on my shifter.Dont know what it could be but it went away about 5 seconds after startup

Old 05-28-2019, 03:32 AM
this how my engine sounds right now after fully warmed not sure if itís a good thing or bad

Old 05-28-2019, 10:19 AM
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Sounds like any typical vq. Your fine

Old 05-28-2019, 12:25 PM
BANNED!!!
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Totally normal for these engines to have valve noise like that, they usually start developing it around 30k miles.

EDIT: When I say NORMAL, I mean they all do it. Mechanically speaking there is some excess play between the cams and lifter buckets but it's a common occurrence and not something you need to be concerned with for a daily driver. If this was solely a track car then yes you would take new measurements and install different thickness of lifter buckets. If it was a LOT worse then you would probably need to get it fixed, but it's not...

Old 05-28-2019, 01:24 PM
The only thing that bothered me was the transmission knock 👀 donít know what it couldíve been.And yea my car has 147k at the moment

Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM
BANNED!!!
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
See if it still persists in a week, when you flood out the bottom of the car you end up with mild corrosion on everything the next day. Could have been something got crusty overnight.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove through a big puddle of water?? Should I worry about it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: