The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Torn between a 96 gsr (5MT) or 04 g35 (5AT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torn between a 96 gsr (5MT) or 04 g35 (5AT)

This has been on my mind for a while now and even during my sleep. It's come to the point where I'm starting to stress over this decision. Right now, I'm 20 and go to college. I drive a 5mt integra gsr and it's a fun car, but it has about 83k miles on it, and quite a number of things need to be replaced or fixed soon if I decide to keep it for a long time. Also, it still has the stock clutch and I think it may need to be changed soon along with the clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder. It sure has a lot of space for cargo, because it's a hatchback, so it's much more "practical" than a g35. Also, I never really have to worry where I park because it's pretty dinged up with some dents on the side already.

But my dad, he bought a new '04 5AT and it has about 10k miles on it right now, still looks brand new. He takes the bus to work so he barely drives it and it sits in the garage 5 days out of the week. I'm debating if I should take the g35 off my dad's hands and sell the gsr, or keep the gsr (fix whatever needs to be fixed) and sell the g35. Another factor is that the g35 is an auto, which I don't mind at all, but I fear I might miss the manual transmission from my gsr.

I'm sure there will be a lot of biased opinions about the g35, but I'm aware of that. It sure would take a load off my back if I sold the gsr and take the g35 since there wouldn't be any problems with the g35 and still has the original warranty on it. I'm just not sure if I will regret selling the gsr for the g35, but I probably won't have another chance of driving such a nice car anytime soon.

Old 10-30-2005, 05:16 PM
As you have driven both cars you know how they compare, the only thing in my opinion is what you are concerned about, the auto tansmission. Its a great 5AT I had one 03, but you might get bored of it if you really enjoy the manual. I had my 03 for 2.5 years ... got bored of it after about a year and a half though. Now I have a 05 6MT and loving it. So just by the fact that I got the same exact car (except some new upgrades in the new model year) the G in my opinion is an awesome car. I looked at others, GTO, STi, EVO, M3 .... and always went back to the G, it is the best overall bang for the buck. So back to your post ... if you will be happy driving the 5AT definatelly get it.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gizzers are quick cars man, I personally have driven both (well 05 6MT G may be a bit different from 5AT, but you get the point).

As a college student, you need to think about the following:

-Insurance, its up in the air since the GSR is stick and sport, but the G35 is automatic, but my guess is the GSR is signifcantly less.

-Gas, can you afford it for the G?

-Relative dorm/campus area? Ghetto or Class, Haters or people focused on school? For example, you probably won't get your clear corners stolen or car keyed at Stanford, but may at Cal State Dominguez Hills.

From my experience, the GSR was quick as hell. I even ran even with Audi TTs and alot of cars out there like Automatic Mustang GTs and what not. Its a lighter car where as the G is beefier. The GSR has cheaper parts to repair than the G35, but is also a very commonly stolen car, among the top 10 in the US every year. They are easier to break into (if you have a system).

Only you can make the final decision. Goodluck, but most importantly, focus on school, not your first impressions upon others. I learned this the hardway.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by G35Gnome
As you have driven both cars you know how they compare, the only thing in my opinion is what you are concerned about, the auto tansmission. Its a great 5AT I had one 03, but you might get bored of it if you really enjoy the manual. I had my 03 for 2.5 years ... got bored of it after about a year and a half though. Now I have a 05 6MT and loving it. So just by the fact that I got the same exact car (except some new upgrades in the new model year) the G in my opinion is an awesome car. I looked at others, GTO, STi, EVO, M3 .... and always went back to the G, it is the best overall bang for the buck. So back to your post ... if you will be happy driving the 5AT definatelly get it.
I guess even if I sold the gsr in exchange for the g35 and regret it later on, I can always pick up a cheap 5speed gsr again. I don't want to pass up this opportunity I have to drive such an awesome car. My concern mostly right now is if I'll be willing to drive it everywhere I go without being paranoid about where it's parked.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
As a college student, you need to think about the following:

-Insurance, its up in the air since the GSR is stick and sport, but the G35 is automatic, but my guess is the GSR is signifcantly less.

-Gas, can you afford it for the G?

-Relative dorm/campus area? Ghetto or Class, Haters or people focused on school? For example, you probably won't get your clear corners stolen or car keyed at Stanford, but may at Cal State Dominguez Hills.
Insurance is no problem since I'm under my parents' policy. The G35 is about the same as the GSR, around $600-$700 a year. I have a clean driving record with almost 5 years experience and good student discount.

Gas, I know I will end up paying more for gas with the g35 than I would with the gsr, but I wouldn't have to worry about what is going to break down next with the G35. For the gsr, I will soon have to replace passenger side axle, clutch n flywheel, cmc/csc, and some other crap. The G35 would just be a worry-free car while I can focus on school. The only worrying done will be when it's parked on the streets at work or going out at night, which is inevitable.

I will be living at home for the next 2-3 years since I'm attending a state university nearby. I might end up taking the bus to school anyways since it's cheaper than a parking permit ($5/day) and I wouldn't have to worry about finding parking on campus.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:15 PM
You'd be worrying about the G parked in the parking lot and won't be able to concentrate in classes.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:23 PM
I'd keep the GSR as a daily driver/commuter, and just use your dad's car once in a while.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get the cheaper one for now... no sense getting yourself in debt even before you can take care of your ownself (financially).

Old 10-31-2005, 03:10 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
why dont you just have them both. I mean how much can you possibly sell the GSR for.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Damn good point. And keep in mind, you're GSR is almost 10 years old and getting close to 100K miles. I know it's a Honda, but modern cars just don't last too long. It's probably time to move on.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
get the cheaper one for now... no sense getting yourself in debt even before you can take care of your ownself (financially).
The cheaper one would be the G35, in terms of cost to own and for future repairs. The gs-r has just too many problems at the moment. Takes away my focus at school. Maybe I wasn't clear but I'm not paying for my dad's G35, he's just going to hand me the car, as a gift. The money received for the gs-r will go back to him.

Originally Posted by mc2
why dont you just have them both. I mean how much can you possibly sell the GSR for.
No point in keeping two cars if all I need is one. I can sell the gs-r for close to $7000, since the demand is pretty high around my area.

Originally Posted by GT-Ron
^Damn good point. And keep in mind, you're GSR is almost 10 years old and getting close to 100K miles. I know it's a Honda, but modern cars just don't last too long. It's probably time to move on.
This is one of the reasons why I'm leaning towards the G35 also.

I think my mind is pretty much made up (G35). Thanks for all your advice/suggestions.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Well ur talking to a DC2 expert here. Ive had my DC2 GSR for 5 years until it was stolen and totalled. If you keep the integra, your insurance will be higher than the G because the integra is the nations most stolen car as of a couple months ago. I had a 2001 gsr and honestly it was a friggin awesome car. I think of that car as more of a race car then my G. My g car insurance is also cheaper than my integra too, strange but liablity issues of course. Anyways, The integra is a fun and easy to mod car. I was running low 14s in my DC2 on all motor. Did i mention they look awesome. Anyways I think ive had the most drama with people tampering with my DC2 in the past 5 years but its because its was in awesome condition and people just love integra parts especailly the B series motors. The G is more of a gentlemens car with muscle. The integra is a very reliable and practical car. I say keep both of them because I still miss my GSR. Only down fall is ull have to pay more for insurance so if thats an issue, keep the G...its a nice car for a 20 year old espeically. The G is nice but it doesnt have vtec.
ps- im not saying one is better than the other just depends on what ur looking for and want.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Here are some old pics of my gsr

Here is my car about 9 months later after i took that pic

Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Put it this way...you'll get alot more *** in a G35 than you ever will in an Integra.

Integra's can be put together nicely but i rarely see it. Honda's are too "rice-boy" style for me so i'd say go with the G35.