The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Oil change at the dealer? (3750 vs 3000 miles???)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change at the dealer? (3750 vs 3000 miles???)

So I have been changing the oil of my coupe at the dealer since i bought the car and only recently did i notice that when they give me the receipt at the end where it says the services they have performed it says:

Next oil change: 3750 miles/3 months. however when they put the sticker on my window they only add 3000 miles ... so which one is it 3000 or 3750 ... i know it depends on the oil, i think the one they use is some sort of synthethic blend ... can look up the number if that might help? anyway my car is currently 300 miles over but since i noticed that 3750 note i dont seem to be that worried ... or should I?

thanks

Old 11-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Follow the 3750 as per the manual. My dealer does the same thing with the 3k miles. They just want more money as usual.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by g35doc
Follow the 3750 as per the manual. My dealer does the same thing with the 3k miles. They just want more money as usual.
yeah thats what i was thinking too. and when i go on monday i will simply bring that up when i drop the car off.i dont know if anyone ever notices that or if anyone has ever said anything to them about it.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Mt dealer does the same thing. I just ignore it and stick to the 3750 factory recommendation.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
or you can switch to synthetic like me and change your oil ever 5-7k miles bending on how you drive

the beauty of synthetic never stops

Old 11-02-2005, 11:32 AM
the math is simplier. ^^

Old 11-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by myGspot
or you can switch to synthetic like me and change your oil ever 5-7k miles bending on how you drive

can i buy the synthetic and give it to the dealer and tell them to use it instead of their usual one?

also can you give me some oil recomendations and prices ... also anything different about the filter? if so recomend one ... i'm really sick of changing my oil every month ... and 5 to 7K sounds very nice to me

Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by blueSKYLINE
can i buy the synthetic and give it to the dealer and tell them to use it instead of their usual one?

also can you give me some oil recomendations and prices ... also anything different about the filter? if so recomend one ... i'm really sick of changing my oil every month ... and 5 to 7K sounds very nice to me
for the girl who got voted the hotest on gdriver... i'll be more then happy to help.

For the past 5yrs I have been using AMSOIL I use it in all my cars. Never had issues. I raced on the track with this oil and autoX. So even after not changing it for 7k and doing all that, Blackstone report showed no breakdown in oil what so ever. Amsoil rates their stuff for 10k but i would never subject my car to that. Mobil 1 is also good but Amsoil has been shown to do slightly better.
I buy Amsoil directly from the dealer so my cost on it is about $5.XX I also use Amsoil Tranny fluid. That is some good stuff.

As far as oil filters go. On my other forum that i am on due to my last car, we did a comparison of a bunch of oil filters ... basically the guys took them apart examined them.. in NEW condition and after 5k use. All oil filters are not the same. One of the better were Mobil 1, Fram X2, and a few JDM filters(dont remember the name)

But basically we had a bunch of guys who were submitting their oil after track use to blackstone for analysis and pretty much mobil 1 and amsoil were always on top.

I can personaly say that I took my valvetrain apart 3yrs or runing track and it was clean... no oil buildup no goop nothing ..not even backed on oil. So amsoil win in my book everytime

PS- you can buy the syn and give it to the dealer they shoudl and must put it in since youare the customer and you making a request. I know my dealer said they can do it, but i would have to provide oil. If they say it voids waranty its all BS. I dont take my car to dealer for oil changes so i dont have any issues

Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
for the girl who got voted the hotest on gdriver... i'll be more then happy to help.

For the past 5yrs I have been using AMSOIL I use it in all my cars. Never had issues. I raced on the track with this oil and autoX. So even after not changing it for 7k and doing all that, Blackstone report showed no breakdown in oil what so ever. Amsoil rates their stuff for 10k but i would never subject my car to that. Mobil 1 is also good but Amsoil has been shown to do slightly better.
I buy Amsoil directly from the dealer so my cost on it is about $5.XX I also use Amsoil Tranny fluid. That is some good stuff.

As far as oil filters go. On my other forum that i am on due to my last car, we did a comparison of a bunch of oil filters ... basically the guys took them apart examined them.. in NEW condition and after 5k use. All oil filters are not the same. One of the better were Mobil 1, Fram X2, and a few JDM filters(dont remember the name)

But basically we had a bunch of guys who were submitting their oil after track use to blackstone for analysis and pretty much mobil 1 and amsoil were always on top.

I can personaly say that I took my valvetrain apart 3yrs or runing track and it was clean... no oil buildup no goop nothing ..not even backed on oil. So amsoil win in my book everytime

PS- you can buy the syn and give it to the dealer they shoudl and must put it in since youare the customer and you making a request. I know my dealer said they can do it, but i would have to provide oil. If they say it voids waranty its all BS. I dont take my car to dealer for oil changes so i dont have any issues
wow thanks for the greatly detailed advice. My brohter is actually some sort of amsoil dealer and has been putting that in my 200SX for about 6 years now i will probably call him and ask him today if we can order some for the G.

the thing is that he is capable of changing the oil himself but he came to me once and gave me a whole lecture on how i bought an expensive luxury car and should keep history of all the maintenance so that whenever i decide to sell it i have stuff to show. so he has been discouraging me from doing anything out side of the dealer.

even though when i had to replace the break pads infiniti wanted around 500 and i got them online and had my brother change them and fix the rotors and it all came down to about 140 ... which is pretty good

Old 11-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Just remember...
Using synthetic has no bearing on intervals with regards to warranty.
If you extend intervals you may be jeopardizing your warranty.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by blueSKYLINE
wow thanks for the greatly detailed advice. My brohter is actually some sort of amsoil dealer and has been putting that in my 200SX for about 6 years now i will probably call him and ask him today if we can order some for the G.

the thing is that he is capable of changing the oil himself but he came to me once and gave me a whole lecture on how i bought an expensive luxury car and should keep history of all the maintenance so that whenever i decide to sell it i have stuff to show. so he has been discouraging me from doing anything out side of the dealer.

even though when i had to replace the break pads infiniti wanted around 500 and i got them online and had my brother change them and fix the rotors and it all came down to about 140 ... which is pretty good
I see where your brother is coming from, but its all relative. I can show you the service records for say any car, but can you really open up an engine and look inside to see if everything is ok and will last. NO. If someone changed oil every 3k and had all the paperwork but at the same time ran Nitros 65 shot for 2yrs, it aint going to make a difference. that engine will still go.

I did have an issue on my 2003 G with the breaks wearing out at 12k. I had infiniti pick up a tab for that and did the work myself. Had infiniti dealer inspect everything and give me the ok.

So yourbrother is right in one sense but it still doesnt show how the car will perform.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Just remember...
Using synthetic has no bearing on intervals with regards to warranty.
If you extend intervals you may be jeopardizing your warranty.
Umm new cars even specify now that oil can be changed every 5k with synthetic. One of the dealers by me says that they can do syn and its ok and will not void waranty.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I think you can change the oil every 7500 miles and not void the warranty. It is given as a maintenance schedule for nissan cars (schedule 2 in that maintenance booklet). However, I change my oil every 3750 miles since I'm normally driving in a city environment (stop and go) about 85% of the time..

Old 11-02-2005, 03:41 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Umm new cars even specify now that oil can be changed every 5k with synthetic. One of the dealers by me says that they can do syn and its ok and will not void waranty.
Are you certain about this?
WHere can i find this information.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:49 PM
New Benz use sunthetic oil by Mobil.

Dealer where i got my car said they are fine with doing syn oil changes and there is nothing wrong witht it. Syn oil last longer and provide better protection for the engine.

Ask your dealer. I know some dealers told me no, others said yes. Dont forget dealers make money on everything, so if you bring your own oil and filter obviously they are going to be loosing money on it. There is no major mark up in Syn oil. I think the mark up is something like less then 50cents which is nothing. There is more mark up in conventional.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil change at the dealer? (3750 vs 3000 miles???)