G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Problems?

I have an 06 with MT. It has under 400 miles on it.

I have noticed recently that there is a strange vibration when starting in 1st gear. It seems as if the engine is bogging. Car is not "bucking" and it does not stall but is also does not go away if I rev the engine higher when I leave the line. Launching quickly seems to help though. I notice no problems with any other gear.

I have driven sticks for years so I do know how to ease a car off the line.

I am going to take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. Any suggestions as to the cause?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by monkeyboylawyer
I have an 06 with MT. It has under 400 miles on it.

I have noticed recently that there is a strange vibration when starting in 1st gear. It seems as if the engine is bogging. Car is not "bucking" and it does not stall but is also does not go away if I rev the engine higher when I leave the line. Launching quickly seems to help though. I notice no problems with any other gear.

I have driven sticks for years so I do know how to ease a car off the line.

I am going to take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. Any suggestions as to the cause?

Thanks.
Same EXACT thing happening to me, i was going to go back to the dealer also. I have 800 miles

ANy input would be great from other members.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Weird. I am thinking that someone test drove the car before I bought it (it had like 80 miles on it - It was driven up from another area dealership) and glazed the clutch or something. But still, learning to drive a stick and doing burnouts all of the time is not enough to mess up a clutch in just a couple of hundred miles. I also seem to notice that if it is driven a little hard and then stopped, there what I would consider excessive clutch rattle when the car is neutral. As expected, this goes away when the clutch is depressed.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Hmmm...I have an 06 mt at about 1100 miles and have had now such experience. The only thing I noticed was that the catch point is higher than I'm used to plus the deep clutch make it a bit harder to drive smoothly. Could it be that you're just not used to it yet? I was spoiled with an acura six speed so I had some adjusting to do. Does the vibration occur when starting the "car" in first gear, or starting to "move" in first? I hope all works well....

Old 05-22-2006, 06:59 PM
My "chattering" happens when i am slowly engaging the clutch in first only. Very annoying feeling, then goes away once under acceleration. I have raced Honda/Acuras for years, and never felt a feeling like this. Almost feels like the clutch is glazed or the flywheel is not-surfaced flat.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by jdmstyleg35
My "chattering" happens when i am slowly engaging the clutch in first only. Very annoying feeling, then goes away once under acceleration. I have raced Honda/Acuras for years, and never felt a feeling like this. Almost feels like the clutch is glazed or the flywheel is not-surfaced flat.
Just a shot in the dark but is the chattering not the "vdc" kicking in to reduce wheelspin? I know what you are talking about and I've tried taking VDC off and it seems a lot smoother, almost w/o the chatter...I wonder if I'm right, or talking out of my ***....

Old 05-22-2006, 07:06 PM
"Fiddy" your the man...

Went outside, jumped in the car and the clutch had the same feeling in first gear. Went around the block, stopped and turned off the "VDC" and now no feelng what-so-ever. HOORAY!!!
I think we found the culprit here...
What i also found is that VDC turns on everytime you re-start the vehicle..so I must turn it off manually everytime

Man o' Man, I am never using that VDC again!!! It truly seems to inhibit performance.
Thanks again FIDDY!!!

Old 05-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jdmstyleg35

This is exactly what mine feels like. Traction control on/off does not change it.

I have driven sticks for years on both Japanese (Datsun 280 ZX, Mazda RX-7) and American (Dodge Stealth and Corvette LT-4) cars and never had this sensation with a properly adjusted clutch.

I agree with the glazing or ill-surfaced feeling. Again, it is not severe enough to cause the car to buck as if you were letting the clutch out w/o enough throttle but it still drives me nuts.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Hmmm....

OK - I have to drive somewhere later tonight. I will try this fix and report back. Even if this does fix the problem, I still think it should go back to the dealer. Traction control should not be that delicate.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Tranmission Problems Update

No real change from traction control on to traction control off. Although, in general the car did not do this as much last night.

Any other suggestions?

Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Another shot in the dark. Could humidity be affecting the clutch grab? i.e. Does it do it more at certain times during the day or type of weather? Of course it shouldn't but just putting this out there for ways to duplicate it for the dealer.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Nope. The only thing that seems to effect it is load on the engine. Meaning, it is more obvious when starting on a hill or driveway than when leaving the line on a level or downhill street.

I had a similar problem with my old Dodge Stealth R/T and it was being caused by fouled injectors. Once the injectors were cleaned, no more problem.

Could that be it???? The car only has 400 miles on it.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Update

The dealership took a look at the clutch and they are replacing the entire thing for free. The tech thought it rattled too much.

I guess that is great in that I get a new clutch but I really want to know what was wrong with the old one in the first place. I guess I will have to talk with the Rep.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by monkeyboylawyer
The dealership took a look at the clutch and they are replacing the entire thing for free. The tech thought it rattled too much.

I guess that is great in that I get a new clutch but I really want to know what was wrong with the old one in the first place. I guess I will have to talk with the Rep.
Keep us posted please. I have the chattering problem when shifting from 1st to 2nd on my '05 and it's very annoying... Turning off VDC doesn't change anything.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Will do. The chattering was annoying. Hopefully, this issue will be resolved with the new clutch. I should get it back sometime today and will post again on Tuesday with an update.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday weekend!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems?