G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

how much does certification add to private party value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much does certification add to private party value

My 03 coupe has a private party value of about $22,200 from Edmunds. But the certification on Edmunds adds almost $3k to the dealer price. How much of this should I consider adding to my asking price? I was thinking about $800 since that's about what an additional 40k mile warranty would cost through a credit union for this car. But w/ the certification you also get roadside, free loaners if your dealer doesn't already offer it, trip interuption & you get an extra 12k miles on your basic warranty. So I'm just wanting to come up with a fair asking price.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm a bit confused by this. Are you paying for some sort of extra certification for the car?

Old 06-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
I'm a bit confused by this. Are you paying for some sort of extra certification for the car?
No, my 03 coupe already has the Infiniti certified warranty cause I bought it used from an Infiniti dealer. So when I sell it in a month or two I'm curious to know what the warranty is worth on top of the private party value.

thanks.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:56 PM
OK... I figured it was probably something like that. Here's the problem. Infiniti certifications are not worth as much as edmunds suggests since all Infiniti's carry their original warranty when sold from any person or dealer. The only benefit a buyer will see is the additional 12k of warranty coverage over other cars. (worth less than $400) Because you bought the car used there will be additional owners on the record. This reduces the value, but a buyer may be convinced to ignore that fact, since it was certified in good condition when you bought the car.

Certifications cost the dealer less then $200. Advise: don't ever pay more just for a "certification." In used cars look for warranty coverage, condition, and a reputable seller.

I always start the negotiation on a used car just below the private party price on edmunds at dealers. You will get some smart comments from the sales person, but after you haggle for a few hours they usually come down to around the private party price (unless they just got the car on the lot or they themselves payed too much for it).

Look at what other private parties/ small dealers are listing their g35 coupes at with comparable miles/options and use that to set the price. See how many serious buyers you get and go from there...

Last edited by Beowulf; 06-22-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
OK... I figured it was probably something like that. Here's the problem. Infiniti certifications are not worth as much as edmunds suggests since all Infiniti's carry their original warranty when sold from any person or dealer. The only benefit a buyer will see is the additional 12k of warranty coverage over other cars. (worth less than $400) Because you bought the car used there will be additional owners on the record. This reduces the value, but a buyer may be convinced to ignore that fact, since it was certified in good condition when you bought the car.

Certifications cost the dealer less then $200. Advise: don't ever pay more just for a "certification." In used cars look for warranty coverage, condition, and a reputable seller.
But the certification I bought was for a 7 year 100k mile extended warranty, and it also added 12k miles & 1 year to the basic warranty. Is that something additional than what you are talking about? I think I paid 700 for the warranty and a spoiler together, so probably 350 for each.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by area123
But the certification I bought was for a 7 year 100k mile extended warranty, and it also added 12k miles & 1 year to the basic warranty. Is that something additional than what you are talking about? I think I paid 700 for the warranty and a spoiler together, so probably 350 for each.

ok I didn't see you bought a 100k warranty.. Its worth the market value of a warranty of whats left. Last time I got quote to extend my car's factory warranty (currently at 37k miles) to 100k and 7 years it was around $1400. So the warranty is worth Probably around the $800-$1400 depending on how many miles you have on your car.

Honestly at the end of the day its up to the buyer and how much he feels its worth

Old 06-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
don't rely on edmunds when you sell your car. best way is to look at other private party offers to determine yours. sometimes you'll find the right buyer and sell your car more.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:48 PM
I could easily be wrong, but I don't think that certification on edmunds is refering to the warranty (extended or not). The wording of the "certified" warranty makes it confusing.

Rather certification refers to the process set by the manufacturer to ensure that certain parts and systems work properly, and performs "like new". This is outside the warranty, as it is pro-active.

If anyone knows differently, let me know.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Certified" to me is just an marketing ploy, it means nothing to me unless they back it up with extended warranty, you did bought 100k warranty, so you might get lil extra for it but mostly might be just enable you to sell it quicker than one without 100k warranty.