G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

KB Cobra owner looking to make the switch.. need some advice..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KB Cobra owner looking to make the switch.. need some advice..

Hey guys I just made it over here and I cant stop looking at all the awesome pics in the gallery section, these cars are beautiful!!

I will be selling my 2004 Kenne Bell Cobra Convertible so I can get my hands one one. As nice as it is to have 600rwhp at my disposal, I have gotten burned out on the whole speed aspect of my enthusiasm for the hobby and now I just want a much nicer, sleeker, and more refined car. Looks like the G35 Coupe fits the bill!

Im browsing around alot right now but are there any years that are better than others? Any big recalls? Problems? Concerns? Basically any info you guys could give me i would appreciate, just trying to get a general feel for whats out there. I am not ruling out buying brand new, but I think I would rather just save the money and buy a slightly used but immaculate car.

Any advice or opinions on these cars is appreciated, as well as info about hp numbers, year to year differences, 1/4 times (not that important but just curious), and any other info you guys feel is important!

Oh, also, whats up with some of the preignition problems I am reading about? Can someone give me a summary? Are the factory base maps not quite right? Do some cars need to be re-tuned? What do you guys that mod your cars use to tune them? Detonation = baaad so I'd like to know. Thanks!

Oh, and I might as well post a pic of my current toy, shes been fun but its time to join the G coupe community soon

Last edited by 87FOXGT; 10-27-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good call, the cobra's a fast as hell car but the g will give you a lot me luxury.

my buddy's got a cobra with 700rwhp w/o nos. fast as hell, but his girl even likes riding in the G better heehee.

good luck, white looks good on G's too!!!

i would go with an 05, 06, or wait for an 07, or new GTR to come out.

i have an 05 and love it, wasnt feeling the 06 taillights and i got an even better deal on the 05!!!

you cant go wrong with a used G either, the VQ's are bulletproof

Old 10-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bulletproof my ***. G's are dope bro except for the oil consumption, rattling, engine pinging, soft paint. Other then that its a good all around car.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
i love my G...well not love love...but the most love a guy can give to a car....you wont regret getting a G bro...hope you get one and go enjoy it

Old 10-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
What are you driving................?

Originally Posted by jdmeg21
bulletproof my ***. G's are dope bro except for the oil consumption, rattling, engine pinging, soft paint. Other then that its a good all around car.
I don't have even one of the problems you mentioned. Well maybe the soft clear coat but I've
got so much Zymol wax on it now even a egg
couldn't damage my surface.....honest! Almost 14K
and I've "never" used a drop of Mobil 1.....no pings
or rattles (squeaks) either......I love my G!

Last edited by gary c; 10-27-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Welcome,

I had an 04 Cobra with Apten and 2.8 pulley before getting the G. There is a huge difference in power, I mean huge. But if you can live with it I would recommend an 05' and up G35 coupe (more HP and better interior). The quality of the G is lightyears ahead of the mustang. Handling I would say is identical. The interior and technology of the G is far superior. Both transmissions are just as notchy and clunky as each other, but the clutch is a lot heavier in the Cobra.

Both cars get the same attention, but the G more from women.

Both cars have the identical crappy paint.

Both are 6 speeds, but there is a huge gearing difference. The G struggles to get the car going, while the cobra is not even breaking a sweat at 100mph and above.

Both have brembo brakes (04 G's), however the G's brakes look better.

G's do not respond well to mods at all. I am thinking about going FI in the G , but I am researching and finding a lot of blown engines.

Are you having the "tick" issue with the Cobra or transmission problems with the KB installed?

Good Luck

P.S. White G's look the best in my opinion, but the 05's IP's and up don't have black interiors

Attached Thumbnails KB Cobra owner looking to make the switch.. need some advice..-cobra.jpg   KB Cobra owner looking to make the switch.. need some advice..-g35.jpg  
Old 10-28-2006, 01:17 AM
great choice! gl with whichever you choose.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll love the car man... thats all i have to say lol As for problems i havent really experienced any but lately i have A blown fuse ( no idea which one ) but stopped my car from starting (which also scared the living shyt out of me lol ) $100 fix... My clutch is gone now.... Also not a factory problem, i bought the car used so the kid b4 me probably didnt know how to drive properly haha and umm... thats all for problems Oh one thing i hate the most in out cars is when it rains water POURS into our cars even if the window is cracked a tiny bit lol happened all day today i hated it haha... Invest in those rain gaurd things lolol jkjk

Old 10-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the info so far guys, keep it coming!

So 05 and up have "better" interiors? Whats different exactly? And the taillights look slightly different on the 06s? See this is the kind of info I am looking for right now. Overall, id be better off getting an 05 and up car over an 03-04?

Also are all the color options the same for all the years? I would most likely want Ivory Pearl but with a dark interior, i dont like tan interiors.

Originally Posted by Stealthy_G
Welcome,

I had an 04 Cobra with Apten and 2.8 pulley before getting the G. There is a huge difference in power, I mean huge. But if you can live with it I would recommend an 05' and up G35 coupe (more HP and better interior). The quality of the G is lightyears ahead of the mustang. Handling I would say is identical. The interior and technology of the G is far superior. Both transmissions are just as notchy and clunky as each other, but the clutch is a lot heavier in the Cobra.

Both cars get the same attention, but the G more from women.

Both cars have the identical crappy paint.

Both are 6 speeds, but there is a huge gearing difference. The G struggles to get the car going, while the cobra is not even breaking a sweat at 100mph and above.

Both have brembo brakes (04 G's), however the G's brakes look better.

G's do not respond well to mods at all. I am thinking about going FI in the G , but I am researching and finding a lot of blown engines.

Are you having the "tick" issue with the Cobra or transmission problems with the KB installed?

Good Luck

P.S. White G's look the best in my opinion, but the 05's IP's and up don't have black interiors
Hah thats cool man, good to get some info from someone who has your perspective on things! If you think your apten/2.8 combo moved good, you should see what some of the stage 4.5 stieg cars are doing now, 10 second quarters no problem

But obviously, speed isn't everything, otherwise I wouldnt be here right now. I am burned out on the whole street speed scene, I was into it for a while, but in order to keep up with the big dawgs around the area I would have to dump even more money into my Cobra. Not intersted in doing that anymore.

Don't get me wrong I still love the car and its a ton of fun blasting up to 100mph at half throttle without breaking a sweat, but I am 27 now, have been into the fast car scene for a long *** time, and my tastes are changing for what I want my driving experience to be.

With that said, I am not looking for all that much from this car performance wise compared to the Cobra. If I could hit 13s with good driving in a G35 I would be more than satisfied. I want the car because of the sleek looks, killer interior, and well just because its a damn nice more upscale car.

If I get one, all I will do is catback, drop it, get some killer wheels, tint, nice stereo, and flip up screen with xbox 360 Thats it. Other then that I would drive it and be happy with what Ive got.

Oh but anyways, to anser your question, my car doesnt really have the tick. Soemtiems when its cold on start up it ticks for a bit then it goes away, never had a problem with it since i bought it new in 04. As for the tranny, overall its in good shape and holding up well with the exception of the second gear synchro. I need to replace that before I sell it but that is mainly my fault for a bad missed gear at the track. (still went 12.1@120 )

Thanks again for the info guys, and if you could answer my other questions I would much appreciate it, I am looking forward to joining the G35 family.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:29 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 03BlackBeauty
You'll love the car man... thats all i have to say lol As for problems i havent really experienced any but lately i have A blown fuse ( no idea which one ) but stopped my car from starting (which also scared the living shyt out of me lol ) $100 fix... My clutch is gone now.... Also not a factory problem, i bought the car used so the kid b4 me probably didnt know how to drive properly haha and umm... thats all for problems Oh one thing i hate the most in out cars is when it rains water POURS into our cars even if the window is cracked a tiny bit lol happened all day today i hated it haha... Invest in those rain gaurd things lolol jkjk
Thats cool man sounds like youve got a nice whip But I wouldnt have to invest in any rain guards, as this will be only a nice day car. I have an 02 chevy prizm for a beater that runs great, so I would keep the coupe locked up in the garage if there is rain or snow.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
1/4 will be mid to low 14's stock...

I have 65K miles on my car and she has been perfect so far with NO issues... I am running a Vortech SC w/ a 3.12 pulley and puttn 402 to the wheels so she has some good get up and go now... Enough for me anyways

The tails went thru a redesign in 06 as well as the headlights... I like the pre 06 tails better.... If you search you will see the different pics (sorry, I am toooo lazy right now to search and post em up)

I am very happy with this car and will be building my bottom end and putting a T-Trim blower and a 2.87 pulley in next year to try to hit 550+ on my SC.... Now only if I could find a way to keep the belt from slipping at those numbers...

Old 10-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Triji
1/4 will be mid to low 14's stock...

I have 65K miles on my car and she has been perfect so far with NO issues... I am running a Vortech SC w/ a 3.12 pulley and puttn 402 to the wheels so she has some good get up and go now... Enough for me anyways

The tails went thru a redesign in 06 as well as the headlights... I like the pre 06 tails better.... If you search you will see the different pics (sorry, I am toooo lazy right now to search and post em up)

I am very happy with this car and will be building my bottom end and putting a T-Trim blower and a 2.87 pulley in next year to try to hit 550+ on my SC.... Now only if I could find a way to keep the belt from slipping at those numbers...
Wow, that's pretty cool man! Have you ever ran your car in the 1/4? I know that you can get the vortech done at the dealer under warranty right?

Are the internals of the motor all forged? I wonder how much boost they can take.

But 400 to the wheels is damn good for a 6. I would consider doing something like that down the road. If I could get to the low 13s @ about 110 mph, id be pretty happy with that! But thats all hypothetical

Edit: Oh, and if you are worried about belt slip, look up Metco online and shoot them an email about it. I bet they could set you up with a killer pulley set up that wont slip at all!!

Old 10-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn i would never trade that cobra for a G. that cobra is pure sex.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool, thanks for the tip on Metco... I'll check them out. No I have not run on the 1/4 yet, I live in AZ and am waiting till the weather gets a tad cooler out and I get a re-tune for the adjustment...

The engine is good to about 9-10 psi, past that I would be very cautious as the rods and pistons are known to blow past that...

The Stillen has the best warranty on the SC's out there but will not give the upper end power I was lookn for. The Vortech is a great kit and I am glad I went this route... The only other FI I would consider is JWT or APS turbos... Here in AZ and this being my Daily Driver though I went with SC with absolutely no regrets!

I guesstimate my 1/4 at high 12's from the people I have come across on the streets... I am pushing 8.8 - 9.6 PSI dependant on the temps.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Triji
Cool, thanks for the tip on Metco... I'll check them out. No I have not run on the 1/4 yet, I live in AZ and am waiting till the weather gets a tad cooler out and I get a re-tune for the adjustment...

The engine is good to about 9-10 psi, past that I would be very cautious as the rods and pistons are known to blow past that...

The Stillen has the best warranty on the SC's out there but will not give the upper end power I was lookn for. The Vortech is a great kit and I am glad I went this route... The only other FI I would consider is JWT or APS turbos... Here in AZ and this being my Daily Driver though I went with SC with absolutely no regrets!

I guesstimate my 1/4 at high 12's from the people I have come across on the streets... I am pushing 8.8 - 9.6 PSI dependant on the temps.
Thanks for the info man! Sounds like it performs pretty well with the SC. It will be a big step down for me performance wise, but that's just fine with me as these cars arent built to be speed demons IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KB Cobra owner looking to make the switch.. need some advice..