G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Head room issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head room issues

I am officially obsessed with this automotive beauty. However, as evident by the subject, I am having a problem justifying buying a car that I can't seem to fit in. I am 6'3", but do not have an overly long torso. I have a problem sitting at any aggressive driving position, and as I am interested in the six speed manual, I would like to be sitting more upright. I am interested to see if anyone has found a way around this height issue. Any potential seat modifications or experiences from taller drivers would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Head room issues

You can order one with no sunroof that will give you about 2.5" - 3" of extra head room.

<font color=blue> </font color=blue>

Old 11-04-2003, 12:01 PM

he's right, if you dont have a sunroof , it will give you more room

Old 11-04-2003, 12:02 PM

In your predicament, buy with no sunroof and just the plain jane seats, then order a set of recarro or sparco buckets and modify the mount so you get the right height you need. It'll take a little work and cost about the same as if you were to get the power heated seats.

JD
2003.5 Coupe, Blk/Blk

Old 11-04-2003, 12:18 PM

I'm 6'2'' - just recently ordered a 6MT Coupe without a sunroof. I would recommend the same. The G35 without a sunroof has exceptional headroom - more than most cars in its class.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:26 PM

I can see you having an issue I am 5'11" and sometimes while wearing my baseball cap I hit the sunroof. When I go to the track it gets really tricky with the helmet on ... I gotta sit in the ghetto pose

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 11-04-2003, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. Ordering without a sunroof is definately the way to go. However, as I live in Toronto, the Canadian models do not have the option of with or without. I was told that the dealerships wouldn't import one from the States due to emmission testing and registration technicalities. I have thought about replacing the seats with recarro type buckets, but do like the fit and finish of the production seats. Does anyone have an idea of how high the seat track is? Would it be possible to install a lower track?

Old 11-04-2003, 01:35 PM

I am 6'3" as well and I have the sunroof. I would say that I have about 1/2 of headroom clearence. I tap my head on the roof on occation but not very often.

G35 Coupe 6MT w/ PP & Aero
DG w/ Graphite Leather

Old 11-04-2003, 01:57 PM

I am 6'3"...possible slightly taller (been a while since I measured)... I have a 6MT coupe with the sun roof and I do not have any problems at all with my head burshing against the roof... I think it really comes down to your sitting position... When people are in the back I drive up straight and its not a problem... if you have a real mop of curly hair or a tall hat then I can see you'd brush against the ceiling... The seat can be positioned in so many ways with the front and rear parts of the seat being tilted. I recommend going down to a dealership and just take the time to sit in the car and feel it out... I'd hate to see you give up the sunroof if you can easily fit... Opinions are helpful but everyone's is different... go try it out and let us know what you decide. (When I first sat in the car i thought height was going to be a problem) but once i got comfortable in it I feel like its perfect!

Old 11-04-2003, 06:22 PM

I'm 6'4" 240...this was my # 1 concern as I bought this car before any 6MT's even arrived to the west coast...I have a sunroof and I have no problems. Like Scobic said...it's all about your seating position. I admit, I do have an issue when I have to have someone behind me...but that's only happened a couple times. And I'm not sure...but aren't there more auto adjustments on the 04'...? I might be wrong...

Have you driven one yet...?

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 11-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6'2" and change here, no problems with sunroof if the seat is fully lowered. The only time I feel the roof is when I have a bit of static electricity going on.

Maybe you should use less hair gel, lose the boy-band look? (just kidding)

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 11-05-2003, 06:29 PM

Yup...look over the edge of the hood...

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 11-07-2003, 11:06 AM

Yesterday I had the opportunity to take the G35 out for a drive. Upon first jumping into the car, I sat ramrod straight and began the usual string of curses that has followed this step the last four times I did the same thing. No matter. As the drive went on, and I tested all the various driver positions and lumbar support options, I found that after settling in...I fit! ...thank God =). The dream has been realized, and things are now in the works for a 2004 brilliant silver on graphite, m6 coupe with navi...and imagine that...the sun is shining. I guess I may have to stick around for a while. I'm glad to be here.
Dan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Head room issues