replacing steplights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 PM
i fly low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing steplights

hey everyone-

i was trying to replace my steplight to an LCD on my 06 G coupe. when i pry (not damaging anything) the light, the whole thing comes out. (here's the weird part) when i pull the hole thing off, i notice it doesnt come out all the way. the bulb is actually attached to the hole harness junk. don't tell me i have to remove the whole door to change a small piece of lightbulb, that's ridiculous.. should i keep tugging on it until the whole wire stretches/extend? thanks in advance

-jeff

Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
i fly low
sorry.. i said "hole" instead of "whole"... i meant WHOLE!!

Old 12-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, i went to change my driver side bulb as well and the thing is rammed up there and didnt seem to come out at all....i was going to ask as well

You dont have to remove the whole damn door do you? Someone chime in for the both of us!!!!

Old 12-06-2006, 07:00 PM
CtK
i dont know about the 06 but in my o4 once u pry open the plastic under the door. i just used a screwdriver and popped out the bulb. ez pz

Old 12-06-2006, 08:34 PM
i fly low
Originally Posted by CtK
i dont know about the 06 but in my o4 once u pry open the plastic under the door. i just used a screwdriver and popped out the bulb. ez pz
does the plastic come off all the way on the 04?

Old 12-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
what do you mean pry off the plastic??? You mean the door panel? Is the door panel just connected with tabs were the pop in and out??? Or is their screws anywhere??

sean

Old 12-06-2006, 08:51 PM
CtK
Originally Posted by BayAreaRefuGz
does the plastic come off all the way on the 04?
if u mean the clear plastic ya it does and the bulb is still inside the door

EDIT: i think if you check ur owners manual it shows you how to replace those bulbs

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2006, 08:58 PM
i fly low
Originally Posted by CtK
if u mean the clear plastic ya it does and the bulb is still inside the door

EDIT: i think if you check ur owners manual it shows you how to replace those bulbs
yeah, i was reading the owners manual, i think it's an example of the 04 because like what you said, if i pry off the plastic light cover, the bulb would remain in the door. in this case, it's not because when i pry the plastic cover, the light is inside the plastic thing. unfortunately it doesnt come out all the way. there's very little room to even attempt on removing/replacing the bulb.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the plastic panel that makes up the interior of the door just pops off.. there is a DIY somewhere on here...i printed out the pix from it when i put my KPTech in... start at the bottom.. you'll see a few openings ... stick a regular screw driver up there a little bit and twist... it is like that all along the door. if you want to take the whole panel off you'll hafta disconnect the window module and the door release links, but you shouldn't hafta do that if you're just getting at the bottom

Old 12-06-2006, 09:07 PM
CtK
Originally Posted by BayAreaRefuGz
yeah, i was reading the owners manual, i think it's an example of the 04 because like what you said, if i pry off the plastic light cover, the bulb would remain in the door. in this case, it's not because when i pry the plastic cover, the light is inside the plastic thing. unfortunately it doesnt come out all the way. there's very little room to even attempt on removing/replacing the bulb.
im sorri i am wrong!! i just tried it on mine
so ya the whole thing does come off with the clear plastic
but im able to take it out about an inch and turn it around and pop out the bulb

Old 12-06-2006, 09:08 PM
CtK
Originally Posted by filanj
the plastic panel that makes up the interior of the door just pops off.. there is a DIY somewhere on here...i printed out the pix from it when i put my KPTech in... start at the bottom.. you'll see a few openings ... stick a regular screw driver up there a little bit and twist... it is like that all along the door. if you want to take the whole panel off you'll hafta disconnect the window module and the door release links, but you shouldn't hafta do that if you're just getting at the bottom
he aint talking about taking the door panel off just the light under the door

Old 12-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CtK
he aint talking about taking the door panel off just the light under the door
oh i misread nismo's post... thought he was asking how to take the door off in case the wire went up inside and couldnt get it back down...

but yeah left out the part about the 2 screws in the interior door handle in case you do have to take it off which you dont unless u cant get the wire back down for some reason

Old 12-06-2006, 11:48 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
i dont see how they would make it that you would have to take off the door panel to change the light bulb

Old 12-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by CtK
im sorri i am wrong!! i just tried it on mine
so ya the whole thing does come off with the clear plastic
but im able to take it out about an inch and turn it around and pop out the bulb
+1 - just replaced my step lights and for such a simple thing you'd think it would be easier... hardly any room to work with not to mention your upside down! my light was also attached to the plastic lens and im not even sure i had an entire inch of leeway.

i actually thought something was wrong since the entire thing came out and not just the lens until i found this thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 AM
i fly low
yeah, i got the LEDs in the door.

all i did was kinna yanked it a little bit where it has room to get twisted. (don't get scared) keep pulling until youre able to get it AT LEAST sideways. if it breaks, go ask aHero, he'll save and fix the problems

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: replacing steplights