G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Addition to Jacking your G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Addition to Jacking your G

This should probably be added to Gordgee's "Jacking your G" thread in the FAQ & DIY section, but I couldn't figure out how to post it there. If one of the moderators see enough merit to this information, I'll assume that they can edit it and move it there.

Addition to Jacking your G:

When I changed to my snow tires using the scissor jack supplied with the car, I noticed that the hole that the jack handle goes into was wearing bigger and becoming oblong from just changing 4 tires. The jack material appears to be really soft. I never had this problem with my previous car's scissor jack despite several tire rotations. Obviously, the G35's jack is meant to be used only a few times for emergencies.

So, since I will be swapping winter and summer tires for the next several years, I broke down and bought a cheap hydraulic floor jack. Unfortunately, as Gordgee mentioned, most hydraulic jacks can't get low enough for jacking up the front end of the G35 coupe. I easily solved the problem, however, by driving the front wheels onto a couple of 2x10's. This provided just enough extra height to get my jack under the front axle. If I drive past the end of the 2x10’s, its not a big deal (like driving over a set of 10 inch high car ramps!). I still have to make the necessary modification plates for my jackstands before actually crawling under the car to change my oil.

Also, there appears to be 2 front central jacking points on the coupe. These jack points look like they were perfectly designed to mate with a floor jack. (On the rear central point I saw no such features so I just set the jack under the differential.) The 2 front jack points are spaced less than 1 foot apart from each other centered directly below the front axle. Because neither of these jack points is exactly at the center of the car, it is difficult (it requires a lot higher jacking) to lift both wheels off of the ground together. Perhaps this is a safety feature so that one front wheel always remains on the ground.

G35 Coupe 6MT / Brilliant Silver / Graphite / Prem.Pkg. / BSM

Doug.

Old 11-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Re: Addition to Jacking your G

Hopefully I'm not hijacking your thread, but I found a place that has a really good deal on an OTC "made in america" jack. A friend of mine has this jack, it is solid, very low profile. I wish I would have found this link before I spend $350 plus shipping! this has free shipping. Trus me, this jack is the best jack out there.
http://www.ntxtools.com/Merchant/mer..._Code=OTC-1727

Old 11-22-2003, 03:23 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Medoug, Just to let you know, I copied and pasted to Gordgee's Jacking Thread in DIY. It's a good addition.

Daniel_G, Thanks for the link to a good floor jack. Clearance is excellent with the ultimate in safety and quality.

GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-24-2003, 07:08 PM

Gsedanman, thanks for cutting and pasting my post.

Daniel G, yes, that definately sounds like the Cadillac...no Ferrari, of hydraulic floor jacks, but for me the price ($300) is a little steep.

I bought a 2-ton floor jack, two 2-ton jackstands, and a creeper on sale all for $30.00. The two pieces of 2x10's that I have to drive on to jack up the front only cost me a couple bucks.

You paid $270 for an extra 1.5 inches; I paid an extra $2. Of course, you got a much nicer jack which I'm sure will still be working decades after mine breaks down. (When that happens, I'll have to buy another $30 jack kit.)

Just for oil changes and tire swapping between seasons, my setup should be good enough.

G35 Coupe 6MT / Brilliant Silver / Graphite / Prem.Pkg. / BSM

Doug.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:11 AM

The deal on jacking is at PepBoys.
They have a high quality Trion two piston Aluminum and Steel 2.5ton jack on sale for $99.95. Buy two one for each side. I recommend two 6 ton jack stands for lateral stability and two SUV stands for the other two. I put my car up about 18" to work on it. It is a little un-nerving to have the car this high. If you are just jacking the fron or rear the 18" gets either end really high in the air.
Take care, (jacking your car up)
AlanL

Old 12-01-2003, 12:03 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds good too AlanL.
Whichever way you jack your G guys, make sure to use good jack stands for the ultimate in safety. I've seen what can happen if the car falls on you and it's not pretty. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>